Death Grips
The Money Store

by OtherSidee USER (1 Reviews)
July 22nd, 2013 | 31 replies | 2,649 views

Review Summary: A successful combination of punk racket and slick, dance floor stomping.

Recently, bands have been thriving in the realm of nostalgia, emulating styles of music that packed top 40 charts decades prior. For The Money Store, Death Grips chose an alternative: to delve into the distant future, importing the riotous screeches and industrial clamors of an ultra-modern culture at war with itself. The album's true momentum, however, is gathered through its successful combination of punk racket and slick, dance floor stomping.

Vocalist, MC Ride's scatterbrained lyrics survey the dystopic scene, where ankles are tied to cinder blocks, wildfire burns through your city, and black clouds cover the sky. I've Seen Footage details vivid illustrations of corruption: "armored cop open fire glock on some kid," while Get Got reports on Ride's neurosis, a possible product of the times, "what I'm looking at wasn't there." Other lines read more elusively but contribute to the general grimness of the album: "underground railroad gunclaps ta sound of sirens screamin."

In this world, static and murky, low-end fuzz scud along tangled wires. The noise is dense and the atmosphere is stark. The Fever (Aye Aye) sounds a tense alarm over paranoid, skittering percussion. Civil unrest dwells in the city as civilians protest and sirens bombard the streets. Men from the gutter lurk along the outskirts of civilization on Lost Boys. An overblown synth blares indifferently, disrupting local frequencies through its din. I've Seen Footage forges a rare moment in which Death Grips dig into the past (namely golden age hip hop) to uncover a four on the floor beat, accompanied by a distorted synth, that launches a revolution and a block party simultaneously. Fluid electro-funk pulses against MC Ride's bizarrely cryptic spoken-word delivery on the final track, Hacker. It's the glossy payoff to the previous onslaught of electronic paranoia. The rhythm digs into your feet and pulls at your arms with knots tied around each middle finger. It's a dance song fit for the uprising, as slaves to the machine reverberate the ground in dust-filled yards. Barbed wire fences surround the vicinity and bare feet jump and twirl through the dirt. They're in your area and they have the first three numbers.

The Money Store has been out for almost a year now, and I still listen to it more than anything else. The noise genre has expanded remarkably over these past months, even influencing the work of Mr. West himself. Still, Death Grips remain at the forefront of this style, continuing to releasing catchy, blood-curdling hardcore tunes that rattle through basements and clubs, and blow through car systems as fans dare to drive down the street to the beat of a blowjob . With No Love Deep Web, the busy beats were set aside for a more minimalistic approach with greater emphasis on MC Ride's vocal performance. They managed to release yet another solid project within the same year, an ambitious feat. But still, The Money Store remains their opus and will continue battering through ears as a landmark achievement in the years to come.

OtherSidee
July 21st 2013

I'd appreciate any and all feedback

YakNips
July 21st 2013

Actually a pretty good review.

Nice job.

Digging: The Brave Little Abacus - Just Got Back from the Discomfort

July 21st 2013

a little bit hyperbolic but you still did a great job describing the sound of this album. I also like all the subtle lyrical references you make throughout. good stuff mang. i've thought about 5ing this but there's something i can't quite put my finger on that's still missing.

jtswope

2093 Comments

Great album!

July 21st 2013

i don't agree with the 5/5 assertion in the slightest, which makes it all the more frustrating that this review is extremely well-written, albeit not so well argued. for all the rhetorical images, there isn't a whole lot written on the actual sounds of the album, and likening tracks like 'i've seen footage' to "golden age hip-hop" is all well and good, but incredibly vague without further explanation/name-dropping some artists as examples. i think you can probably flesh out some of these ideas better and maybe reign in the hyperbole to an extent.

i for one don't think this is even half as groundbreaking as you profess it to be. to me, it's an incoherent, jumbled mess of influences. i'm not inclined to like something or call it revolutionary just because it dares to be innovative, but i do think there are great songs to be heard here, and it's nice that others can connect with it.

oh and:

continuing to releasing catchy

typo here

2deep4u

nah just kidding i can totes see why people would hate this.

opinions damn

Scoot

SYSTEM system BLOWA

opinions damn

i respect polarizing opinions. to the reviewer's credit, this is a really great piece of writing and i gave him a pos for it. whether it's really his first review or an alt is unsure at this point.

July 21st 2013

Just givin ya shit buddy, you defended that 2 in sobhi's money store thread very well

July 21st 2013

Don't worry FourthReich, He is just mad because Based Mc Ride fucked his bitch.

eternium
July 21st 2013

Forever one of the most polarizing bands.

July 21st 2013

but this isn't lil b, only lil b can fuck everyone's bitch

July 21st 2013

It's more likely that ride killed his "bitch", and then proceeded to have sex with said dead body...but let's not get overly immature
gyro's a good dude and wrote an incredible review for this defending his rating already

ok u.u
Let's move on.
Is it true that their sound live is kinda "thin"?

July 21st 2013

"but this isn't lil b, only lil b can fuck everyone's bitch" let's not forget Chad Warden.

July 21st 2013

Indeed. There's no doubt that, as a whole, it was one of the most insane shows I have ever attended. However, even though mc ride put on an entertaining show with his crazy actions(stepping on/kicking people), his voice was very week, so much so that the backing track constantly prevailed over him. However their one saving grace is Mr. Hill on the drums. I can't remember having ever seen a more vibrant and likewise crafty live drummer, he stole the show. Though one thing to note is that their beat maker flatlander was not in attendance so that added to the poor sound no doubt..

July 21st 2013

Damn, I'm afraid that the same thing happens when I see them, I'll be attending one of their concerts in october and it's going to be in a festival, I am even more worried about the acoustics (you know because it's going to be in an open place and stuff)

July 21st 2013

I wouldn't worry about the sound. It only hit me until way after the show when I took some time to reflect on the performance. I could hardly care during, as the crowd and band were so insane. I cannot wait to see them again honestly, have fun! They're not the type of group to see whilst under the influence though, keep that in mind lol that's my only advice

July 21st 2013

"They're not the type of group to see whilst under the influence though, keep that in mind lol that's my only advice"

Thanks for the advice, I was planning to do that.