Daft Punk
Random Access Memories

2.0
poor

by Brandon Taylor USER (19 Reviews)
July 16th, 2013 | 16 replies

Release Date: 2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Yet another album where the hype greatly exceeded the actual music.

It seems like everybody with an opinion on this record has already expressed it in some form. It’s been an exhilarating enough journey reading the reviews, features and interviews that all built up the mountain of hype surrounding Daft Punk’s first studio album in 8 years. However, now that I’ve finally listened to Random Access Memories, I feel like that mountain might be too tall to overcome.

A major fault in this album is that not only does it lack replayability, but mere playability itself. A 74-minute running time is risky and all 4 songs that exceed 6 minutes test the listener’s patience, with none seeming to warrant the allocated time. “Get Lucky” was tremendously successful as a shorter radio edit but here it drags, while “Giorgio By Moroder” has a thrilling final few minutes but makes you sit through a monologue that I don’t see why you’d want to hear more than once. It’s not only the longer songs though – “Beyond” and “Motherboard” are a dreary one-two punch, in that you want to start punching the wall out of boredom.

It’s clear that this album has lived up to many critics’ and fans’ expectations and it’s fair to say that mine weren’t very high, so I was pleasantly surprised by a few of the tracks here. “Doin’ It Right” and “Instant Crush” are both examples of well-thought-out collaborations (for one done wrong see Paul Williams' awkward vocals on “Touch”) and their immediate catchiness has seen them gain high rotation on my iPod. They’re both examples of how to be repetitive but not grating, something that too many other songs are. The worst offender, and I’m feeling physically tired just thinking about it, is the sterile “Lose Yourself To Dance”.

A few of the slower songs, namely “The Game Of Love” and “Within”, have grown on me to the point of being tolerable and have proved that RAM is at least as versatile as it is mundane. The music reviewing/listening community has waited a long time for this album and to try and downplay the dent it has created on the 2013 music scene would be foolish. You can’t escape the hype, but you can escape the music itself, and for all but a few of these (thankfully) forgettable tracks, I will gladly be doing so.

Fall Out Boy American Beauty / American PsychoPanda Bear Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper
Meghan Trainor TitleBjork Vulnicura
Purity Ring Another EternityEllie Goulding Halcyon

Cygnatti
July 16th 2013

doesn't read like a 2.0, and you didn't even mention contact? neg.

Digging: Robert Johnson - The Complete Recordings

tommygun
July 16th 2013

contact is the only song that matters agreed

July 16th 2013

i think this is actually a pretty good review.

Its funny how nicolas jaars mix of this album makes daft punk look like pre schoolers

brandontaylor
July 16th 2013

i dont see anything special about contact really, its definitely not the most boring song on the album but thats about all the credit i could give it

Tyrannic
July 16th 2013

"Giorgio By Moroder” has a thrilling final few minutes but makes you sit through a monologue that I don’t see why you’d want to hear more than once."

this is not only written way too conversational but I 400% disagree. So, you have absolutely no patience huh?

Eunuch
July 16th 2013

lose yourself to dance and get lucky make me want to jam a knife into my eardrums. Fuck Phaggell
Williams.

Digging: SIZARR - Nurture

tommygun

one or two

July 16th 2013

doin it right is awesome. but the rest is so sub par it makes a bogey look hot

FourthReich
July 16th 2013

i don't think i'll ever get around to it

July 16th 2013

someone said in another thread, think it was treb: This albums like if nickelback ever went electronic. haha its a pretty good description

July 16th 2013

Nice review. I agree with you, this is vastly overrated. That song that's on the radio right now is fucking terrible.

Digging: Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear

MrSirLordGentleman

album has its moments

Digging: Blue Oyster Cult - Imaginos

Aids
July 17th 2013

wait is Get Lucky still "that song that's on the radio right now"??? cause if so NUH UH sowing not even sexy jenna fischer can save you now.

Digging: Waxahatchee - Ivy Tripp

TheSpirit

this album is fantastic

Digging: Ashdautas - Where the Sun is Silent...