Beady Eye

very poor

by Joseph Viney STAFF
July 9th, 2013 | 67 replies

Release Date: 06/10/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind

Even if you do live on a cave on mars with your fingers in your ear (though I hear it’s lovely this time of year), you’ll probably be aware that Mr. Liam Gallagher is something of an incendiary type.

It might be for show, it might be that he actually is just a massive dickhead; but whether it is for trying or otherwise, he really does get under people’s skin. Even as Oasis tried and repeatedly failed to ‘break’ America (you never hear that phrase anymore, do you?), our fair isle’s cousins still roll their eyes to this day at the mention of his name. A man of Liam’s standing and temperament is always setting himself up for a critical mauling, so any release he features on can pivot on that age old cliché; he can talk the talk, but can he walk the walk?

The two biggest problems with BE are thus; the energy that made their first LP a surprisingly decent effort has been removed completely, and Liam’s lyrics have plumbed to new, previously unassailable depths of self-parody.

Take, for example, the opening couplet of “Second Bite Of The Apple”: “Shake my tree, where’s the apple for me?/Tickle my feet with the NME.” This is quickly followed by the slightly less bizarre but no less atrocious “No point laughing if you don’t know why/I phone my love just to hear her smile.”

It’s unadulterated nonsense, and the fact it’s played straight with that faint asthmatic wheeze Liam has picked up in recent years makes it a lot more jarring. Given that he has spent a good portion of the past twenty years positioning himself as Mr. Big Mouth, it’s simply disappointing to hear Liam pen rhyme after rhyme for its own sake. What kind of album did he expect to make? It might still be better than Drake. My favourite kind of fish is hake.

The music (provided, lest we forget, by proclaimed British indie stalwarts) is for the most part uninspiring. “Soul Love” plods like a dozy beast before melting into a wholly unnecessary ambient fade-out. The dreadful “Don’t Brother Me” does the same thing but with 25% extra tacked on to the end. “Ballroom Figured” somehow offers even less than the rest of the songs put together.

OK. Something positive. Tracks like “Face The Crowd” and “I’m Just Saying” (probably the best song here) are perfect for the live setting; pretty much the scenario Beady Eye are built for. The album’s closer, “Start Anew”, by virtue of its name offers some form of redemption. Alas, it isn’t to be. The only thing you’ll find yourself saying is “Take ya own advice, mate.”

Nobody could have been expecting ground-breaking stuff, but at least put *some* effort in.

Morrissey World Peace Is None of Your BusinessArchie Bronson Outfit Wild Crush
Manic Street Preachers FuturologySweet Apple The Golden Age of Glitter
Parquet Courts Sunbathing AnimalSKATERS Manhattan
3.1
good
Major Tom CONTRIBUTOR (3.5)
"Come on take a chance and start anew, me and you"...

trending alt & indie albums

El Pintor

To Be Kind

Hope

Lost in the Dream

SeaAnemone

20370 Comments

those are some tiny paragraphs

Digging: Holy Sons - Lost Decade II

July 9th 2013

Yeah I've been editing another site where the guy is very much up on smaller paragraphs etc. What do you think? Get rid and make them bigger?

AliW1993
July 9th 2013

Definitely make them bigger. Small paragraphs are ideal for newspapers but they don't really work
online.

Solid review as ever. I more or less agree. Dross.

July 9th 2013

Right. Brought it into line a bit more. Yeah, looks better.

July 9th 2013

i wouldn't say Oasis "failed" to break America. Literally every american I know who grew up in the '90s knows "champagne supernova" and "wonderwall," while would be hard pressed to name a song by Blur (or even know who they are)

Digging: Tennis - Ritual In Repeat

July 9th 2013

Hmm fair enough. Always seemed to me like they just bombed out.

July 9th 2013

sold nearly 4 million records of morning glory in the US and charted at #4 preeee good

Relinquished
July 9th 2013

didn't see how the paragraphs were before but I like how they are

DegausserGuernica24
July 9th 2013

I wonder if that's the same girl from the TWFM album cover.

Ire

Seems polarizing.

Digging: Jon Hopkins - Immunity

Tyrannic
July 9th 2013

i don't mind the paragraphs; it's more to the point.

July 9th 2013

"Hmm fair enough. Always seemed to me like they just bombed out."

We have dumb people who listen to shit like Oasis in America too buddy

Digging: Viper the Rapper - You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack

fapping to the cover

Polyethylene

The epitome of mediocre

RadicalEd
July 10th 2013

^ no that's magna charta holy grail

Digging: Perfume Genius - Too Bright

oh trebor handled that

Sheaiskl
July 10th 2013

would offer garments to prevent hypothermia

dcha