Cerekloth
In the Midst of Life We Are In Death

by oltnabrick USER (21 Reviews)
July 8th, 2013 | 101 replies | 7,977 views

Release Date: 05/03/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Cerekloth carve out their own sinister and bloody niche in the death metal scene.

Denmark's Cerekloth arrive with a unique take of an old sound on their debut full-length. In The Midst Of Life We Are In Death showcases the band carving out their own sinister and bloody niche in the death metal scene.

In The Midst Of Life We Are In Death is no bullshit, doom-tinged, dissonance filled death metal pulled straight from the depths of the 90s. Cerekloth have managed to create something that is shockingly fresh despite the obvious influences and their general lack of care for pushing the boundaries of the genre. The powerful, muddy punch of the drum sound is right behind the signature Autopsy brand of dissonant, sludge-y guitar riffs that permeate Cerekloth's debut release. The guitar sound is a mixture of both the muddy, mid 90s Cianide guitar work and the buzz-saw riffs of Wombbath. The guitarists in Cerekloth have a clear vehemence on individual notes being played that create an attractively off-putting sense of darkness and depth that is enhanced by the organic capture of the recording. The growls of Jens B. Pedersen have a hint of Chris Reifert to them, but he varies up his deeper, guttural tones with mid-range vocals that provide a nice range of variation unlike most of the modern day death metal bands.

In The Midst Of Life We Are In Death rarely manages to show off anything that death metal hasn't done before, but when the band’s execution is as perfect as it is on this record and they offer a small variety of variation then it really doesn’t matter. Togged in dissonance and melody through a stern backbone of mid-tempo death metal, Cerekloth are able to stand head and shoulders over most bands in the revival death-doom metal scene.

3.3/5

James Ferraro Suki GirlzPink Floyd Ummagumma
Xavier Wulf and Bones ダサいYung Lean Unknown Death 2002
Action Bronson Saaab StoriesLil B P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thug)

July 7th 2013

stream/purchase the album here:

I might add a little more to this later idk. What do you think??

Digging: Suicideyear - Remembrance

ShadowRemains

20521 Comments

good, to-the-point review

album rules, i really love the dissonance that these guys incorporate into the guitar work

a couple of edits:

probably want to have some sort of punctuation at the end of the review.

The guitar sound is a mixture of both the muddy, mid 90s Cianide and the buzz-saw riffs of Wombbath that has a clear vehemence on individual notes being played that creates an attractively off-putting sense of darkness and depth that is enhanced by the organic capture of the recording.

this sentence reads rather awkwardly

sixdegrees

sounds promising

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

July 8th 2013

@shadows yeah the dissonance is definitely the best part

@sex it is promising :]]

I need this.

Digging: Sun Worship - Elder Giants

Colliiiin
July 8th 2013

This is pretty awesome, solid mix of old and new school influences pulled off pretty well.

Also, good, to-the-point review [2]

Digging: Mitochondrion - Archaeaeon

FrozenVain
July 8th 2013

I read a review for this in Decibel Magazine and they gave it shit rating for some reason but this actually sounds really sweet. Nice, effective review. Pos'd. The album cover is too dope as well.

Jacquibim
July 8th 2013

Now I definitely need to check this out.

Digging: Abigor - Leytmotif Luzifer

Psobesri
July 8th 2013

dude jacqk are you coming to get abominated or what http://plug.dj/hybrid-theory

Good album/review.

Inveigh
July 8th 2013

whoa this sounds awesome, good review bro

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

July 9th 2013

yeah, i can see you liking this a lot

Inveigh

just got it

nice

July 11th 2013

Sweeeeeet just got this. m/

FearThyEvil

It's excellent

pos my review

Pos'd. :]

Jacquibim
July 12th 2013

This rules damn hard.

July 12th 2013

Fuck this is some evil/filthy stuff.