Attila
About That Life

1.5
very poor

by willchambers216 USER (6 Reviews)
July 3rd, 2013 | 3 replies | 1,610 views

Release Date: 06/25/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Bad. Just bad.

Flashback to the late 1990s and early 2000s, in the heyday of nu metal. KoRn, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot and Drowning Pool dominated the hard rock music scene. When rap was first infused with metal, it was considered anything from innovative art to tasteless garbage. This album is the latter.

Attila is one of the rare rap-metalcore/deathcore bands, but that doesn't mean that their level of skill is anything special. Vocalist Chris Fronzak certainly tries to write lyrics like a rapper, but falls flat with lines such as "I'm bad*ss and you're a f*cking b*tch." The album is mostly nothing but chugging in the instrumental department, doing nothing to set itself apart besides the occasional bass solo or Korn-inspired rap-metal verses.

The album's only semi-positive moment is its fourth track "Backtalk," is only decent, not entirely relying on chugs and Fronzak's irritating high screams-- both wasting a lot of album time. Rather than seeming like something that effort was put in to, the entire record is a formulaic, insincere mess. The band members probably just threw this together for the sake of making an album.

Pros:
-"Backtalk"
-Bearable for fans of past Attila
-The bass is done semi-well, although it's the only instrument to be said that much of, and it's hardly ever audible.

Cons:
-Wannabe-gangster/party lyrics
-Vocals miss the mark more often than not
-Guitars rely on chugs and the rare riff.
-Drums just play along with the chugging.
-Hard to tell most tracks apart
-The interlude track "Leave A Message" is just something to point out how "edgy", "cool" and "gangster" Fronzak is. (Or at least thinks he is.)

Overall, unless you're a hardcore fan of Attila's albums prior to this train wreck, it's a terrible and sloppy attempt at a record. Perhaps the band members need to explore new territory to remain relevant, perhaps not. All that can be said of "About That Life" has been said.

**Note: I know my reviews aren't very good. I'm just starting, and I want to make them better. Constructive criticism besides "stop making them" would be great. Thanks.**