Middle Class Rut
Pick Up Your Head

by Pistol Pete USER (32 Reviews)
July 2nd, 2013 | 14 replies

Release Date: 06/25/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Consider this the more polished and upgraded version of their debut album in which many of the bugs and glitches have since been fixed.

Sophomore albums usually come under a lot of heat. The debut album has the underappreciated luxury of being an album in which the band can, frankly, do whatever the hell they want and avoid harsh criticism because it’s only their first rodeo. The sophomore album ends up being the first true test to see whether a band can maintain its strengths, fix any previous flaws, and all the while try to stay fresh and relevant. It’s often questioned and judged heavily before the album even hits the shelves and has a chance to prove itself. When Middle Class Rut dropped their debut album No Name No Color in 2010, they were a band that offered a fresh spin on alternative rock. However, as I criticized in my review for it, by the end of the album this “fresh” sound felt somewhat exhausted. They seemed like a band out of new ideas right from the get-go.

This apparently was an unfair prejudice to hand them so early on. Their second full-length Pick Up Your Head shows they are a rock band that seeks to improve and, dare I say, actually listens to constructive criticism. To sum up their debut album in a few sentences, it was an album that’s primary goal seemed to be to try and pummel its listeners with as many crunchy guitars, deep wails and screams as possible. The singles “New Low” and “Are You on Your Way” ended up being among the only times they calmed down and gave us some much needed variety. Almost every other song was loud and abrasive, which worked well sometimes. However, loud and abrasive only works when a listener’s attention can be kept the entire way through. Some tracks couldn’t manage that. On Pick Up Your Head, the duo make a conscious effort to keep the listener’s attention with better pacing and groovier rhythm to their songs. “Weather Vein” appropriately sets the pace first with an upbeat drum line before getting into the heavier chorus. It ends up focusing more on the vocal performances, choosing to smartly lower the guitar contribution to avoid it overpowering the vocals. “Leech” delivers an uncharacteristic twist after the stomping opener and slows the pace down into a groovy and swinging rock song with a haunting atmosphere in its chorus. “Dead Eye” is an easy-going acoustic ballad with a sing-a-long chorus suitable for long drives down lonely highways in the middle of the desert.

For anyone who liked the heavier sections of the debut album, Middle Class Rut hasn’t forgotten you either. Opener “Born Too Late” kicks off the album with a decisive bang, proving they haven’t lost a step in the three years between albums. Single “Aunt Betty” brings back that great blend of soaring vocals and crunchy guitar riffs. While it’s admittedly not as good a single as “New Low” might have been, it’s still strong and fits well within the context of the album and what it’s trying to accomplish.

Pick Up Your Head is as much of a step in the right direction as one could’ve asked for. Most importantly, the band has settled into an identity that just plain suits them. Their music is the perfect soundtrack to dusty young construction workers performing back-breaking labour out in the scorching sun all day. Songs like “Cut the Line” and the title track should give you an excellent example of what I mean. It’s a slick and groovy rock sound that finally has the right mix of guitars and wailing vocals backed by powerful and effective drums and the odd “hammer-smacking-metal” sound here and there. Is it perfect? Absolutely not, they have a little ways to go before anything they churn out can be considered game-changing or classic. But give them a chance, they’ve shown us that they might actually know what they’re doing after all. That’s not something I can say for a whole lot of rock bands these days.

Recommended Songs: Born Too Late, Leech, Dead Eye, Pick Up Your Head

The Mire Glass CathedralsChevelle This Type of Thinking (Could Do Us In)
Obscure Sphinx Void MotherJolly The Audio Guide to Happiness (Part 1)
Chevelle La GargolaLeprous Bilateral

July 1st 2013

Really solid album. This is a band I've for some reason been following closely even though I was only "kind of" a fan before this.

Here's the video for "Aunt Betty" (pretty damn cool video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26v2N995uUc

Digging: O'Brother - Garden Window

Good shit

Green Baron
July 2nd 2013

20000 Comments

thought aunt betty was pretty good

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

imalmosthome
July 5th 2013

Really like this band and both the albums. Solid, great to drive to. I wanna go see them again in the UK, but they're supporting Papa Roach. That ain't happenin'.

Saw them with Circa the first time and i'm massively diggin both their records.

I like the fact that their first album is one hard song after another too. Good reviews tho.

July 7th 2013

yeah so long as they tour with bands like that they'll forever get clumped into that same category as them even though their music is leagues beyond that shit

ti0n
July 10th 2013

this needs more attention. has a really long lasting appeal and kicks arse. digg

Digging: Iceage - Plowing Into the Field of Love

omnipanzer
July 22nd 2013

Nice review, enjoying the album.

Digging: We Were Promised Jetpacks - Unravelling

July 22nd 2013

hey thanx boob lady!

aahop
August 6th 2013

Good review, definitely gives a good assessment of their growth as a band. I'm really glad this album turned out so good, No Name No Color was intriguing but way too repetitive to my ears.

premmisseth
August 29th 2013

Songs on this album aren't as catchy as few on previous album were, but still a solid album. Maybe it's lacking a bit of diversity and complexity but still we must consider this band as a duo and in that aspect they rock.

August 29th 2013

yeah it amazes me that it's just two of them

premmisseth
August 30th 2013

You mean on "No Name No Color" album? Cause I can think of at least 3 of them from my mind right now. :> (Busy Being Born, New Low, Are You On Your Way)

When I think of it, maybe last album was better for me then this one.

August 31st 2013

no i think i was speaking towards your point about them only being a duo (so i said yeah it's amazing it's just the two of them playing)