Sirenia
Perils of the Deep Blue

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
July 1st, 2013 | 17 replies | 6,572 views

Release Date: 07/09/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Sirenia's best album in a long time.

In The Enigma of Life, Sirenia watered down their gothic/symphonic metal formula beyond a reasonable degree. It was their worst album by far, and it was chewed up and spit out by critics. More uninspired and lazy than ever, it was nothing but a lackluster hash of previous concepts that were poorly executed in the first place. With three rubbish albums in a row, Sirenia had struck the final nail into their coffin, and it seemed like there would be no escape. Fortunately, it only takes one good album to resurrect a dead band, and Perils of the Deep Blue is that album. Sirenia have put a lot of passion into this release to create one of their best albums in a long time. It’s just a shame that it took them this long to find their stride.

In Perils of the Deep Blue, Sirenia are no longer just going through the motions, they are playing music with an urgency previously heard in their first two albums. Expect catchier, heavier riffs, more engaging drumming, more harsh vocals, better instrumentation, and even better singing. Ailyn (the band’s lead, female singer) has a thin voice by nature, but her performance here is vastly improved and a surprising highlight of the album. She hits higher notes, tries new styles including some operatic vocals, and generally puts more gusto into her singing than ever before, and it’s entirely captivating. It took a while for her to prove herself, but Ailyn is singing on another level now. Her voice may not suit every song (ex: ‘Decadence’), but when she gets it the result can be beautiful.

A massive pro of the album is that the symphonic aspect is done properly this time. It’s still performed via keyboard sounds but it’s actually convincing this time, it sounds more organic and has a life of its own. Every aspect of Sirenia’s sound come together to create something melodic and beautiful, and that combined with solid songwriting makes for a very memorable experience. It’s not a bad experience either, in fact, Perils of the Deep Blue is an enjoyable album from start to finish and that’s a huge feat considering its length, which includes a track that’s nearly thirteen minutes long. This is one of the biggest surprises of the year, and also sets Sirenia up to be a strong contender in the symphonic metal scene. It can’t get much better than this.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxRainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2
Part Myth Part Legend Almagest CodexImmoralist Widow
DragonHeartstring (4)
A magnificent shot at symphonic/gothic metal from a band that was previously on a downward slope, th...

June 30th 2013

'twas released in Europe two days ago. Hope y'all like the review.

NocteDominum
June 30th 2013

I didn't get the same vibe

Hmm that's too bad.

NocteDominum
June 30th 2013

I mean there were bits that showed up nicely, but it didn't kick together for me : ]

Poet
June 30th 2013

Could never get into this band.

YakNips

I read the album title as Penis of the Deep Blue

Digging: I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism... - 8 Song Demo

Malenchanted
July 1st 2013

Song I heard on YouTube was nice, I don't usually jam this sort of stuff but idk it sounds pretty cool

Jacquibim
July 1st 2013

So this is really good? Haven't liked what I've heard of this band but I'll give it a go.

Digging: Howls of Ebb - Vigils of the 3rd Eye

Tyrael

20394 Comments

Meh

good gothic metal is hard to come by these days

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

July 1st 2013

@ Tyrael: Tristania's new album is pretty good, have you checked that out?

Tyrael

20394 Comments

It was okay I guess

I guess I got spoiled with Moonspell's Omega White last year...

Darkvoid67
July 1st 2013

Dreadful band, heard the single from this and it sounded just like the previous effort. Good review however

fish.
July 4th 2013

20200 Comments

woah

I remember back in the day when I was first discovering music there were a few songs by this band I really liked. Doubt I'd be interested by this nowadays though.

Digging: YG - My Krazy Life

linguist2011
July 9th 2013

Better than their last album, but that's not saying much. I mean, for the most part the album is decent enough but there's just way too many songs here that are on the bad side of average. The album's way too long for it's own good, but I do like the relationship between Morten's harsh vocals and Ailyn's softer voice. The problem is Morten's vocal input doesn't seem to be used as much as it could have, because whenever his voice does appear, it's only for a brief period of time. Yes, it's better than their last album, but not by much.

tochtgenoot
July 10th 2013

I couldn't agree more with you, pizzamachine! To be honest, I had not expected Sirenia to be able to put out a great record any more. Great sound and atmosphere. Definitely their best since their two first albums, and perhaps even on par with them. Time will tell!

Epictemptation
August 30th 2013

This album is heavy and brilliant, best sirenia album ever

bahlof
October 20th 2013

I thought this was a wonderful album.