Owen
L'Ami du Peuple

by William Lim USER (20 Reviews)
July 1st, 2013 | 35 replies

Release Date: 07/02/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Kinsella proves that spending his mornings watching cartoons with the family doesn't mean he can't wallow in beautiful sadness anymore.

L'Ami du Peuple is a triumphant proclamation of twelve years well done, and yet, Owen expresses no intention of retiring. It's been twenty-four years since Mike first made his venture into professional music and twelve since he started Owen, but the man has been restless ever since, settling for nothing but who he is then and there and how this shapes his various projects and records. But he now lives a humble suburban life with his wife, two kids and dog Oscar, and it seems that Kinsella's life and his music have settled into a sweet spot.

Indeed, his sound may not be evolving, but with L'Ami du Peuple, Kinsella proves that he will still not keep to constraints. L'Ami is hence a record in which Kinsella is confident and content with the fundamental sound of Owen (heartbreaking vocals, light melodies and arpeggios to boot), enough so to apply a variety of stylistic embellishments while L'Ami still remains an Owen album. Each song is uniquely defined by original characteristics, like the country accentuation of "Bad Blood," pounding drums of "I Got High," the string-infused builds of "Who Cares," and the strange pitch collection of the ragtime piano on "Where Do I Begin?". Not only that, but the single weird, hopping piano that enters "Where Do I Begin?" evolving into the perfectly placed, essential element of closer "Vivid Dreams"--obviously an evolved extension of its preceding track--neatly ties together the album with a definition of what L'Ami is as a record: Kinsella takes all these foreign instruments and shapes them into essential cogs in each of the record's ten songs.

Make no mistake, however, this is not some new, experimental venture: L'Ami du Peuple is another run of Owen songs. Not that that is, or probably ever will be, a bad thing. With every song of the mere forty minutes of L'Ami, Kinsella reaffirms the strength of his sound but doesn't let this swallow his compositions or take away his edge: not only that, but despite his newly diversified pallet of pianos and blips and weird genre incorporations, L'Ami is easily the most cohesive, most focused, and most memorable of his works since At Home. It's an overwhelming combination which effectively renews Kinsella's claim to the throne of acoustic music.

Troubled Medium WHAT ARE YOU DOINGBrave Bird T-Minus Grand Gesture
Waxahatchee American WeekendMilhouse Thrillhouse
Cap'n Jazz Shmap'n ShmazzGeorgia Maq Friends and Bowler's Run

June 30th 2013

inb4 "nice review Adam Thomas"

Digging: Little Big League - These Are Good People

June 30th 2013

Thought about pre ordering this on vinyl. Where can I listen to it?

Digging: Ritual Mess - Vile Art

June 30th 2013

I cannot believe this only has 14 votes.

June 30th 2013

wow that is super awkward. twelve years well done?

Kinsella proves that he will still not keep to constraints

again

"Bad Blood", pounding drums of "I Got High", the string-infused builds of "Who Cares",

commas go inside quotations

reaffirms is not a hyphenated word.

i'll definitely pick this up soon. love the title and album art

Relinquished
June 30th 2013

this guy still rules, he rocks harder on this album than the other ones

June 30th 2013

Oh my god this is really good

demigod!
June 30th 2013

only heard at home with owen which was good

Digging: Portishead - Dummy

June 30th 2013

Check this out demi, it rules so far

titlefightmeirl
June 30th 2013

Just heard of these guys, I'm gonna check out at home with owen first. am I making the right decision?

Relinquished
June 30th 2013

it's one guy and go chrono, the albums get better as you go along

June 30th 2013

Just heard of these guys

*this guy

I'm gonna check out at home with owen first. am I making the right decision?

It's as good a decision as most, but go chrono as Relinquished says because you're eventually gonna wanna check all his
albums anyway

wow that is super awkward. twelve years well done?

lol

June 30th 2013

laughing off criticisms will get you far in writing (Y)

June 30th 2013

ummmm what's the problem? (sorry I thought you were saying something else)

June 30th 2013

well spent? well done sounds weird in this context. also, 'an absent intention to retire' - why do you have to word things in the most awkward way possible? because what you're essentially saying is 'with no intention of retiring' just in a more convoluted way

the review is good imo, but it suffers from phrasings like that

June 30th 2013

I dunno... I feel like "well done" expresses a sense of accomplishment better than "well spent". Also, "with no intention of
retiring" would sound weird in that sentence because the subject is the album and not Kinsella. I'm grateful for the criticisms
(you picked up on a lot of stuff that i've noticed i've been doing for a while) and this is probably gonna end as with a "it's your
review, do what you want" but the way I see it it's done fine even if some of the phrases are just awkward modifications of
other common phrases.

June 30th 2013

Sorry I'm typing on my ipad and so the posts are really fucking up for some reason

June 30th 2013

it's not even so much that it's an awkward phrasing as much as it's the fact that it doesn't make sense.

L'Ami du Peuple is a triumphant proclamation of twelve years well done and an absent intention to retire.

versus

L'Ami du Peuple is a triumphant proclamation of twelve years well done and is evidence that Owen shows no signs of retiring

or something. just...an absent intention to retire. you should be able to read that and know it's incongruous

June 30th 2013

and well done does express sentiments of accomplishment, but in this context it sounds like you're saying the years were well done... like they were cooked or something

June 30th 2013

Yeah, you're probably right..it doesn't strike me as incongruous anymore but I remember having gripes when I initially wrote this thing. And I honestly picked up no cooking connotations when I wrote "well done".

Anyway, thanks for that. Dealing with kids who have grammatical issues is never fun.

July 1st 2013