Sithu Aye

by Jacob R. STAFF
June 30th, 2013 | 63 replies

Release Date: 06/26/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A release for the community.

While all the most well-known progressive metal musicians are busy writing concept albums about space, time travel and similarly over-the-top concepts, this year's Sithu Aye is in the corner of the scene, meditative and thoughtful. He’s always been familiar with the goal of his music-- “happy progressive music,” as he himself says-- and this is what distinguishes him from the straight-faced crowd of interchangeable shredders. Aye's music is an equitable blend of restraint and fun, pushing boundaries only to politely put them back in place when the curtains close. And 26 may be the most telling release from the solo musician yet, because it was created in a single weekend. One wouldn’t be able to tell from hearing the EP, as it’s as seasoned as expected. But the release satisfies because it plays out in the jam-session manner for his style of music has always strived. This is the miracle of the spontaneity Aye utilizes-- it emphasizes instinct, preventing him from getting carried away with his own thoughts.

Melody is at the forefront on 26, as if lead single “Mandalay” didn’t make this clear enough. The track’s concluding guitar lead may be the most memorable moment of Sithu’s music yet, and shows a satisfying shift from his earlier releases’ rhythm-based groove. It’s about the notes played, not the way they’re arranged. This is why 26, (and Sithu Aye, respectively,) stands out from the progressive metal crowd, because it cuts the nonsense and follows gut feeling. It functions as an ode to the distinct style Aye has carved over the last few years, and is the most comfortable the guitarist has been thus far in his musical career. He finally sounds like he’s home, which is why the record’s halcyon cover art makes sense-- this is Sithu Aye playing music as intimate as he can manage, but this time his following wants to share the moment with him. 26 is a release for the community, and that’s why it’s so easy to relate to.

The Contortionist LanguageMaybeshewill Fair Youth
Fallujah The Flesh PrevailsEvery Time I Die From Parts Unknown
Baths Ocean DeathClosure in Moscow Pink Lemonade

Album is streaming at http://sithuayemusic.bandcamp.com/album/26

YourDarkAffected
June 30th 2013

Guess I should check this out since I've been immensely digging Animals as Leaders and Scale the Summit

pizzamachine

Yup shit rules.

SitarHero
June 30th 2013

"While all the most well-known progressive metal musicians are busy writing concept albums about space, time travel and similarly over-the-top concepts, Sithu Aye is in the corner of the scene, meditative and thoughtful."

Sithu Aye has an album called "Invent the Universe" and another called "Cassini". He's taken a left turn on THIS album, but it's the exception and not the rule that you make it out to be.

June 30th 2013

I meant that more in the sense that he's now straying from that path

SitarHero
June 30th 2013

Fair enough, but the sentence reads like "While everyone is making space albums, Sithu Aye is the one guy who doesn't",
which isn't true...

June 30th 2013

Yeah I know what you mean, I'll look at it later

June 30th 2013

album cover reminds me of a scene from Big Fish. nice review. brevity ftw

Digging: Lantlos - .neon

June 30th 2013

This album might get me laid.

ethixx

DAMN

June 30th 2013

Thanks Frenchy, I simply couldn't write a lot about this one

And if this gets you laid, you may want to stop lurking around at Periphery concerts! Them girls have weird diseases

YakNips

Lol Jacob. Nice review! Gonna check this out

Digging: Whirr - Sway

Acanthus
June 30th 2013

Now I have a reason to actually get around to listen to this, loving it so far. I can't really put my
finger on what sets his stuff apart for me but I love his sound.

Edit: Digging this about as much as Isles, good stuff.

Digging: Falls of Rauros - The Light That Dwells in Rotten Wood

Calc

this sux.

Digging: Milo - A Toothpaste Suburb

June 30th 2013

fucking lol no way this girl doesnt do metal at all

so after doing this ill be doing her

Acanthus

Priorities there Tyr.

June 30th 2013

Lol, have yet to see how this album relates to your getting laid, but I'm at least glad it helps out (in a way that's yet to be determined, of course, but still)

June 30th 2013

if not ill just revert back to the tear-lube life

Mmmm

July 1st 2013

But for serious this is good and Omaha is a well oiled machine!!!!11!!1!!1!!