Mouth of the Architect
Dawning

by JAV USER (12 Reviews)
June 29th, 2013 | 193 replies | 13,497 views

Release Date: 06/25/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Sharpen your axes and prepare for the dawning of the new post metal kings.

Mouth of the Architect has been constantly tweaking and modifying their sound with every subsequent release. Never stagnating as some bands and constantly making the same record over and over. When Quietly was released it seemed to either deter fans of the older styles found on Time and Withering and The Ties that Blind or further cement the opinion of MOtA’s consistent quality. Where Quietly was a sparse but an overall depressing, crushing journey The Violence Beneath EP showed they were experimenting and could cover something like Peter Gabriel with ease while putting their own touch on his work.

Now with Dawning it seems MOtA have figured out exactly what sound they were searching for, not content with merely being heavy for heavy’s sake or being overly soft and foregoing their metal past. "It Swarms" and "Sharpen Your Axes" are as destructive as any of their previous works and gives the middle of the album its heaviest moments as well as the needed aggression to keep the metal fans interested. The songs each hit their own peaks and valleys alternately expanding, contracting and exploding. They definitely use the loud/quiet dynamic almost to a fault but it's so well done it's hard to complain about it.

Still present is MOtA’s use of simultaneous harsh and clean vocals in most songs. They don’t give in to the current metal trend of eschewing all songs of harsh screamed vocals for a friendlier sound, they use them when it fits and don’t when it doesn't. “Patterns” showcases this very effectively with the majority being a slow song with clean vocals and just before the transition which softly repeats, “The pattern is revealed” before moving into an up-tempo riff with roaring growled vocals. On previous albums the tonality was quite steadily set in the low end of the spectrum; here they make use of a higher sonic palette to give songs more range. With each song averaging 7 minutes they have plenty of space to make use of that range, yet they manage to keep the listener’s attention and making each piece fit and sound like it belongs.

Atmosphere is still created with recorded vocal samples and background noises ala "Hate and Heartache" and it still works wonderfully. Where Quietly was mostly doom and gloom Dawning feels like there could be some hope left as the title implies. There is use of acoustic guitars and pianos as demonstrated on "Lullabye" and plenty of delay soaked guitar lines. The musicianship is excellent and the mix is done well, allowing the guitars to soar and the drumming to shine while the bass grinds away underneath it all. If this isn't on your album of the year radar yet you probably haven’t heard it or aren't paying attention.

Streaming here: http://mouthofthearchitect.bandcamp.com/

Erlen Meyer Erlen Meyer Breach Kollapse
Breach VenomKnut Terraformer
The Ocean FogdiverThe Ocean Fluxion

1921 Comments

Not totally happy with it but this album deserves something.
Forgot how to make url tags, it's been so long...

Insurrection

20658 Comments

whoa a jav review. album is the tits

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

Yeeeeaaaaaaaahhhh!

1921 Comments

Product of insomnia Andrew but album was worth it imo.

June 28th 2013

Nice review, posd, but read that first paragraph again. Several errors

1921 Comments

Very likely, I was kinda sleepy when I wrote it.

Relinquished

inb4 shuyin spazzes out like usual

good review man but I feel that you should figure out the right places to add details about the mix,
acoustic, and atmosphere stuff on the last paragraph, fix it up a little.

sideburndude
June 29th 2013

That is some really good album art, I gotta check this out

June 29th 2013

It wasn't the review or the average that convinced you, it was the album art. I like you, guy

Captain North
June 29th 2013

Why does the track list say "sharpen your eyes"

wait, a jav review?

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

June 29th 2013

they still havent figured out what genre they want to blend their metal into so i'm not impressed

You serious? This is amazing

June 29th 2013

really? really xing you were amazed? you've been - astonished, awe'd FLOORED by this album. your ears have never experienced such WONDER!? REALLY?

1921 Comments

Look at that face, he's not even sure what to make of you.

June 29th 2013

well, look out for my next single, it's called "My Salsa"

June 29th 2013

Jesus came down from the sky and made love to me all night long, leaving the new lord in my belly. That's what this album did.

1921 Comments

Maybe it's because I have been drinking but that cracked me up.

Wizard

19248 Comments

Nice to see you still kicking around here JAV. Review was well written but I totally disagree.

Digging: Nachtmystium - The World We Left Behind