Entropia (PL)
Vesper

by Ryan Kroner USER (29 Reviews)
June 23rd, 2013 | 152 replies

Release Date: 2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Better than it has any right to be.

In an atmospheric black metal scene plagued by stagnation and inter-group cannibalization, it can be increasingly difficult to discover bands that are simultaneously unique and emotionally investing, making a find like Poland's Entropia a scarce and beautiful thing to behold. Vesper, their debut full-length, is an entirely enthralling journey that fuses the emotion and ferocity of black metal with the massive soundscapes of post-rock and the crushing riffs and structures of sludge metal. These myriad influences come together in a hugely successful way that Vesper's seemingly innocuous on-paper credentials may seem to deny it, but once in a blue moon bands like Entropia can create music that is far deeper and more involving than it has any right to be and this album is one of those rare and wonderful instances. For a perfect example of everything that Entropia do right on Vesper, look no farther than the five-minute album opener 'Dante'. This brilliant track, with its smooth transitions from blast beat-laden black metal sections to immense, drop-tuned riffs, beautifully summarizes the wondrous melding of feeling and intensity that pervades the record's entire fifty minutes. The title track, on the other hand, is a stunning exemplar of the other, far more atmospheric side of Vesper, containing some of this year's most heartbreakingly gorgeous moments in a post-rock track. The album's other four tracks strike a balance between these two extremes, occasionally delving into generic territory but largely retaining Vesper's status as one of the best atmospheric black metal efforts of 2013 to date. This final statement is no exaggeration: from the city-leveling riffs of 'Merat' and 'Pascal' to the heart-rending leads of the title track to the exhilarating Wolves in the Throne Rooom-isms of 'Gauss', Vesper is an entirely engaging and unmissable effort that will serve as one of the crowning jewels of its genre's output this year.

Golgatha Somnium AttaccaStrike to Survive Yesterday's News
Rosetta The AnaesthetePalms Palms
The Body Master, We PerishZozobra Savage Masters

June 23rd 2013

I promised this review to a band member a while back and I'd blanked on it until now. Seriously. This rules. Again, the review's arguably not up to my pre-hiatus standards, but I'm working my way back up there.

Also, as an ode to all those who (rightfully) whine about my propensity toward positive reviews, my next review will be lukewarm/negative. Pinky promise.

FearThyEvil
June 23rd 2013

Glad to see this reviewed. I just listened to it yesterday and was completely enthralled.

greg84
June 23rd 2013

The Polish band I know completely nothing about. Why am I not surprised?

Digging: Clarence Clarity - No Now

Keyblade
June 23rd 2013

yesss this got a review. awesome album

Digging: Post Malone - Post Malone EP

June 23rd 2013

y'all should know by now that post-rock, sludge metal, and black metal combo = instant Kroner Boner

TheSpirit
June 23rd 2013

Hey this sounds real good. I like your short reviews, keep doing them

Digging: Volahn/Shataan/Arizmenda/Kallathon - Desert Dances and Serpent Sermons

Calc
June 23rd 2013

people whine that you write positive reviews?

lol.

Digging: Poloniumcubes - Three

zaruyache
June 23rd 2013

Also glad this finally got a review.

Cygnatti
June 23rd 2013

I have this bookmarked on youtube but never listened to it.

Digging: Darkthrone - Goatlord

Relinquished

"Kroner Boner"

one of the main things going for you I presume

Vakarian12
June 23rd 2013

good to this finally got a review, good stuff!

Digging: Cradle of Filth - Hammer of the Witches

MO

19743 Comments

this is good shit

Dodecahedron
June 24th 2013

One of my favorites so far this year.

one of the main things going for you I presume

Vakarian12

Gauss is soty

Thanntos
June 24th 2013

One of my favorite albums of the year so far aside from Deafheaven. This is just brutally crushing and massive bm/sludge much like Celeste's 'Morte(s) Nee(s)' was in 2010.

Wanted to do a review for it cause I love it so much but didn't have the time

Digging: An Autumn For Crippled Children - The Long Goodbye

oresttt

Gauss is soty [2]

They just posted your review on their Facebook page.

Dreamflight
June 24th 2013

wow this sounds really good.

Evreaia