Tech N9ne
Sickology 101

by Aaron CONTRIBUTOR (110 Reviews)
June 21st, 2013 | 27 replies

Review Summary: It’s getting colder, you’re getting older year by year, never know when you gotta go far away from here.

It’s truly astounding how Tech N9ne has managed to build such a massive fan base as an independent hip-hop artist. Although after his most recent releases some are labeling him a “sell out“, it’s hard to argue against the success he‘s rightfully earned for himself. The Kansas City native often has an insanely busy touring schedule and he’s been keeping the albums coming with style for well over a decade. However, one doesn’t reach such great heights without any talent and man does Tech have some mad flow.

Often overshadowed by K.O.D. which was released the same year, Sickology 101 is a great album that generously displays Tech N9ne’s rapping ability. The only real problem lies within the filler which is spread throughout the 18 tracks, but thankfully there are some real gems here to make up for it. Album highlight ‘Dysfunctional’ is a killer jam that showcases Tech’s ability behind the microphone. He opens the song strongly with both speed and attitude which builds up to a chorus with a chill reggae vibe. Although Tech’s at the top of his game, the song is also made more exciting by the guest vocals of Big Scoob and longtime pal Krizz Kaliko. All three artists have their own rapping sections and they each add their own unique flavor to the song.

Apart from his impressive delivery, much of the appeal in Tech N9ne’s music is in the lyrics themselves. Sure, they‘re often over-the-top or cocky, but they‘re also glittered with humor and hard not to enjoy. A prime example of this would be in the fan favorite ‘Red Nose’ which finds Tech drawing comparisons to Rudolph as he rhymes about not fitting in with the crowd. It starts out with a brilliantly sarcastic opening dialogue where he essentially gives the middle finger to the industry. The song is laid back, but manages to capture what seems like an effortless performance by Tech as he uses clever lyricism to spit fire at his enemies.

I find it intriguing that despite his dark sense of humor Tech N9ne still manages to sneak in a surprisingly impacting song or two into nearly every album. Thankfully, Sickology 101 is no different and ‘Far Away’ takes the cake as the most poignant track on the release as Tech sets aside the witty lyrics for a much more honest song that finds him contemplating life and even death itself. These topics are much deeper than one might expect from Tech N9ne, but it’s a reminder that he is human after all and that behind his tough guy persona he’s more than capable of injecting meaning into his music.

Ever since the formation of Tech N9ne‘s very own record label in ’99 his success has only continued to grow and he’s put out a handful of great records including the fantastic Everready (The Religion) which was massive but contained virtually no filler. Although Sickology 101 may not be his most ambitious work to date, it’s a highly engaging listen that’s boosted by energetic guest performances and some of the more enjoyable tracks of Tech N9ne’s career. It also has a nice variety making it a good choice for anybody who enjoys his music or hip-hop in general.

New Found Glory ResurrectionThe Residents Eskimo
Trvth ApproachingAgalloch The Serpent and the Sphere
The Byrds Mr. Tambourine ManSomos Temple of Plenty

19922 Comments

My first hip-hop review! Feedback would be lovely hopefully it turned out ok lol

Link to Dysfuctional (sick track)

Digging: Transit - Joyride

19922 Comments

You've been moody lately lol. this isn't ICP fuck that

19922 Comments

Lol I don't care even if he is I enjoy his music

19922 Comments

haha oh so you actually like him? when you said good job i figured you were being sarcastic

Well I saw your score for all 6's and 7's

Lol going to bed :P

Cygnatti

Proud if you Atari! < 3

fish.

22013 Comments

what the fuck are you on about andcas

Digging: Miguel - Kaleidoscope Dream

porch
June 21st 2013

a hawks shaped void in the hip hop section has been filled

Calc

"such great heights"

fuking killer postal service reference man!!!!!

Digging: Milo - A Toothpaste Suburb

Thanks man!

@cyg, < 3

No suggestions for improvement?

so i guess nobody cares about tech n9ne around here lol

fish.

22013 Comments

I like him. Looking forward to his new album though his material seems a bit up and down.

19922 Comments

Yeah i didn't really like the klusterfuk ep so hopefully it's better than that I feel like his full length's are pretty consistent though

ConcubinaryCode
June 21st 2013

Dysfunctional is probably the only track I listen off this. He usually puts out amazing stuff but I feel like has past few releases were boring. Maybe I've just grown out of his music. KOD still rules though.

19922 Comments

all 6's and 7's was pretty sweet but yeah welcome to strangeland was a bit boring. still had a few killer tracks though

salzared

eww, tech 9, gross

19922 Comments

lol you either love him or hate him i guess. I've seen him perform he comes to my town a lot I find most his stuff hard not to enjoy.

Cygnatti
June 23rd 2013

He digs deftones, don't feel bad Atari.

19922 Comments

I don't feel bad lol just saying he's an acquired taste I have to be in the mood for him myself but when I am he delivers