Pity Sex
Feast of Love

good

by Martin L. USER (44 Reviews)
June 20th, 2013 | 47 replies

Release Date: 06/25/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: sedated and shameless, sedated and shameless

As much as we might like to get our hopes up after hearing an especially impressive EP or split, the truth is that some bands simply don’t translate well to the full-length format. Whether if its because of a lacking aspect of the artist or simply due to the style’s suitability with a shorter structure, the aforementioned debut full-lengths are (unfairly?) bemoaned when they don’t live up to the EP’s hype. One example that comes to mind as of recent is Memoryhouse. I’ve yet to find a band of the chillwave style (dying breed as it may be) that works better with more space in an LP than in the condensed form. Memoryhouse is no exception; in attempting to traverse the great EP-to-LP divide, they mistakenly forgot to transfer the most critical elements of what made their sound originally so beautiful and unique. Conceptually, the same can be said about Pity Sex on their debut, Feast of Love.

Laughably poor lyrics aside on Dark World, the release had such dynamism and energy. The tradeoffs between guy/girl vocalists were a refreshing aspect rather than a mere retreading of an old trope. On Dark World, Pity Sex were gritty, and there was a lovable charm to the grime that seeped through the unfiltered chords. In their place, the band multiplies the shoegaze-y atmosphere hinted towards earlier, and concentrates on texture. It’s an interesting combination of aesthetics, but ultimately fails because Pity Sex highlight all the wrong areas. The lyrics on Dark World were largely obscured behind catchy rhythms and a lively vigor that kept the EP potent and poignant, but that’s not the case any longer. And while the previous release masterfully straddled a line between punk, Midwestern emo, and indie stylings all through a lo-fi lens, Feast commits itself much more wholeheartedly to a tone-driven, shoegaze aura, the production is much cleaner, and is generally worse off for it.

Then again, perhaps my perceived flaccidness of Feast is only my expectations warily wobbling down (a tumbling crash would be too dramatic and dynamic a descriptor for the monotonous release). At the very least, the LP has a beautiful flow to it where each track blends nicely into one another, especially impressive given that it’s their debut. And while “Honey Pot” doesn’t hold a candle to previous standouts, its energy in the center of Feast livens up the record considerably. Still, Pity Sex’s latest isn’t an utter failure by any means; lessons can be learned from its pitfalls. As talented and capable as the band have proven they can be, it’s still crucial that they concentrate on their strengths. While one’s gotta admire their style-shifting, it doesn’t seem to be a path worth dawdling down much further.

Aidan Baker Already DrowningNoMeansNo Wrong
Huata/Bitcho SplitThe Men New Moon
Giles Corey HinterkaifeckLotte Kestner The Bluebird of Happiness

June 19th 2013

It looks like my opinion is in the minority here. The record isn't released until next week I believe, but you can stream it here: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/06/stream_pity_sex.html

At the very least, give "Honey Pot" a listen if you're into this style.

June 19th 2013

I was gonna review this I swear

Digging: Viper the Rapper - You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack

Eclecticist
June 19th 2013

I just downloaded this. I hope it's better than you say it is.

sixdegrees

wasn't too impressed with Dark World

if this is a change in sound I might check it out

Digging: School Food Punishment - Air Feel, Color Swim

Eclecticist
June 19th 2013

Pretty good, could have been better though. I don't find this all that different from Dark World except maybe that it's more refined and mature.

June 19th 2013

I really want to see these guys tomorrow but it would put me in a financial pickle.

Digging: Carissa's Wierd - Songs About Leaving

Hep Kat

dis band bad

June 19th 2013

I think this is quite different than Dark World. It's definitely more refined, and the general atmosphere is much softer and subdued.

What did you think, Trebor17?

June 20th 2013

I haven't heard it yet lol

F0RBES
June 20th 2013

i've never been able to get into this band.

listened to the stream a couple times and it all seemed so bland.

June 20th 2013

I'm sure some listeners will enjoy this more. It's different enough from Dark World to be divisive, but very much still in the same realm.

Damus
June 20th 2013

this is better than this review lets on

loveisamixtape
June 21st 2013

as someone who has never heard the ep, this rules

titlefightmeirl
June 24th 2013

is this worth a listen?

F0RBES
June 25th 2013

^ decide for yourself.

ShitsofRain
June 25th 2013

i like the cover. does it also sound like that?

Digging: Anthony Shakir - Frictionalism 1994-2009

snapcase
June 26th 2013

Haven't heard the ep, i have ordered it but been listening to feast of love all week and i think its pretty cool, its definitely grown on me.

DurzoBlint
July 20th 2013

bump

loveisamixtape
July 20th 2013

this gets old tho

titlefightmeirl
July 25th 2013

wind up is such a jam. and britty drake is a qt