Dark New Day
Hail Mary

2.0
poor

by NeoSpaz USER (32 Reviews)
June 8th, 2013 | 13 replies | 1,479 views

Release Date: 02/19/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Another day, another alternative metal band.

Over the last few years, alternative metal/post-grunge has become a bit of a joke. Rearing its head throughout mainstream charts with its often low-tuned guitars and deliberately catchy choruses, it has earned the scorn of many. This may be considered a solid reasoning, as there is little difference between many of these bands and with the release of their new album Hail Mary, Dark New Day have only hammered another nail in the coffin. The music here is nothing that has not been done before and could be considered yet another less interesting Breaking Benjamin clone, with none of the things that made that band interesting in the first places.

What is woven among this album is a seemingly endless stream of modern hard rock clich├ęs. You are almost guaranteed that each song will have a clean chorus with the typical chugging riff with an overlaid melody. The verses are generally minimalistic, with small guitar lines and an obvious bass line maintaining the instrumental presence. Fortunately, the drums here are surprisingly delightful, bringing a variety of flairs in the album. Unfortunately for them, the mix has put so much focus on the keyboard, vocals and guitars that their presence is muddy and blurred throughout. On songs like Simple, a shockingly typical radio-rock song, the snare drum tone sounds so awfully flat that it could almost be mistaken for a floor tom.

Now, it may be important to consider that this album was actually recorded way back in 2006, and was only just released after album 7 years of waiting. Unfortunately, even for that period of time, most of this album could be considered dated, with songs like the title track sounding more like the B-side to a Seether album. The vocal hooks, whilst catchy, don't seem to really hit as hard as they once might have, the low tuned guitars sounding out of place and the keyboard lines seemingly ridiculously overbearing. For any fan of the genre, this might be a good way to sate your appetite for awhile, at least, until a band that does the style better releases something new.

This may sound overwhelmingly negative so far, but the album does have some room to shine. None of the instruments are badly performed, though their creative ability leaves something to be desired, but at no time are you left wondering "Do these guys actually know what they're doing here?". The vocals, whilst again nothing spectacular, are on point, having a reasonable range, escaping the trap that so many fall in with the middle ranged clean vocals. It is most often in the obvious choruses that we are exposed to these higher ends of the vocal lines, which beats the bland verse vocals.

Whilst nothing is inherently wrong with this album, everything just seems so sub-par, below average and dull that it does not warrant another listen. At no point did any song grab me that I wanted to listen to it repeatedly, although the break in Outside did warrant a curiosity unmatched by any other tracks on this record. In the words of my teenage brother: "I've heard it before, it's just really boring" which is a most apt description of most of this record.

Arrows Try And Stay UprightArrows Modern Art & Politics
Arrows Don't Write PoetryMiles Away Endless Roads
The Black Dahlia Murder EverblackDead Kennedys In God We Trust, Inc.

Yeah, so I did something

Insurrection

19543 Comments

really good review man pos

only thing is using the word whilst kinda makes you sound like a douche so id change it lol

Digging: Cult Leader - Nothing for Us Here

June 8th 2013

ahaha, sweet, i thought it fit, but i'll rip it out, cuz you're kinda right

Insurrection

19543 Comments

i mean if you wanna sound all fancy it works but your call. rest of the review is fine

guess ill be staying away from this

June 8th 2013

Yeah, I would suggest that. It doesn't really have many redeeming qualities, it's just one of those bands that are trying to make music they like but it comes off, lame

Dunpeal

deliberately catchy chorus

as opposed to an accidentally catchy chorus??

June 8th 2013

Well, think about it. Some bands deliberately attempt to make something catchy, ie: clean chorus with easy to sing lyrics.

Others accidently write things that are really catchy

Minus.

This album is worthy of at least a 2.5

June 8th 2013

nah. it might if every single thing i heard on here hadn't be done before as heavily as it has been

oh. you're back

Mongi123
June 8th 2013

"Over the last few years, alternative metal/post-grunge has become a bit of a joke"

Stopped reading. If you think that alt. metal has turned into a joke than you're not looking in the right places man.

Digging: In Flames - The Jester Race

June 8th 2013

Name me some releases, and we'll be good. And I was speaking broadly, because for the most, many
alternative metal bands are being laughed at. A lot are just hard rock bands who are a bit more
aggressive.

I mean, take bands like Deftones. They are a great alt. metal band, but how many other shit ones
outweigh the good? The balance of the genre is heavily skewed

Mongi123
June 8th 2013

Yes deftones are great. But like you said u gotta look hard. Though u never said u hated alt metal, I always recommend the autumn effect by 10 years to alt metal haters. One of the most meaningful alt metal albums out there. And sci fi crimes by chevelle is great too. However, post grunge is a joke now good call haha