Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly
Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly

by Jawaharal USER (33 Reviews)
March 23rd, 2006 | 7 replies

Release Date: | Tracklist

Why is it that I always lead myself to believe that if a band has a cool name then the music must be cool? Probably because I seem to think that the band must be as fun and creative as their name. If only GC,WC,F were as interesting as their name....

This album is nothing but slow, cheesy, acoustic songs. It sounds like a collection of dramatic love songs from every boy band I can think of. Vocal harmonies? Check. Softly sung vocals over a finger picked arpeggios? Check. Techno drum beats? Check. This album has every aspect of an overly produced, dramatic song.

The songs follow a simple formula of: Acoustic guitar intro, verse with just guitar, chorus, add dancy techno drum beat. So, after hearing the first song which followed this formula, I guessed the rest of the album was also generic pop. I was right. The songs carry on way too long for their own good. Verse-Chorus-Verse can be tiresome no matter how good the song is, but itís even worse when the band is playing bad music and dragging it on and on. GC... tries to spice things up by having a chorus breakdown or adding effects to the vocals, but even then, I want the song to end. Catchiness is something that lacks on this album.

Maybe another reason I don't like this album is the vocals. It sounds a little nasally and almost sounds as if itís forced. Hearing forced, poppy, teenage boy vocals singing It's over now, I can see clearly now really didn't appeal to me. I also feel the songwriting is below par. They should take hints from pop all stars like Kelly Clarkson and Gwen Stefani on how to write interesting 3 minute songs, instead of writing dull, dancy acoustic rambles.

Perhaps the only place for GC... is at middle school dances when they need some hip, slow song to play. This type of album is just that kind that radio-pop loving teenage girls will dig. There is nothing on this album but sugar coated, dramatic pop, but instead of being sweet, it has a dull, bitter taste.

AFX Hangable Auto BulbDead Cow Company EP
Cerberus Shoal HombVarious Artists Children Of Nuggets
Holy Molar The Whole Tooth And Nothing But The ToothCombatwoundedveteran I Know A Girl Who Develops Crime Scene Photos

March 23rd 2006

Sorry about a picture, but I couldn't find one.

March 23rd 2006

mehhh, I think you've gotten lazy, I don't get why this deserves a 1.5. You should add more to support such a low score.

March 23rd 2006

mehhh, I think you've gotten lazy

pretty much. But I think I've at least contributed somehow by telling people to stay away from this thing. I just don't have the time to put lots of time into reviews anymore.

[quote=Jom]Are these guys like The Faint or something?[/quote]
I saw Glass House on the tracklist and that is a Faint song. This doesn't sound to good from the way that you reviewed it, nice work to even though it was a little brief.

March 23rd 2006

Ya I saw the band name and immediately clicked but ya I dunno. They have a purevolume?

March 24th 2006

I thought it was a good review. Based on what he said, what more could he say to review the songs? Then he'd be guilty of exactly what he complained about the songs doing--going on and on pointlessly.

September 29th 2006

I kind of think he was a bit harsh on the guy. Sure it isn't exactly original but the pop is undeniable and I really like songs like "I Spy".

Site Copyright 2005-2014