Dead Kennedys
In God We Trust, Inc.

by NeoSpaz USER (32 Reviews)
June 6th, 2013 | 12 replies

Release Date: 1981 | Tracklist

Review Summary: How things change.

In keeping with the style of this EP, let this review be short and to the point.

In 1981, the Dead Kennedy's released their first (and only) EP, under the title of In God We Trust, Inc which, much like the majority of their discography, was a discussion of the political and social issues of the time. Throughout the brief span of this EP, you are presented with a very high paced introduction to these issues, be it the religious side of things, or a blatant stab at the American education system's handling of children with attention disorders, or even difficult children in general.

As with much of the hardcore punk at the time, most of the songs are short and to the point, valuing content rather than length or technicality, and this is just as applicable for the instrumental section. The guitars mainly play a chaotic mess of thrashed out chords with enough differentiation between them that the songs are able to have a different vibe. Of course, we are presented with the occasional break from the straight out hardcore-punk, with the lounge section preceding We've Got a Bigger Problem Here, which is a reworking of the notorious California Über Alles. For those who are not aware, the aforementioned song resulted in the increasingly popular Neo-Nazi movement within the hardcore to scene believing that the Dead Kennedys were also of the same beliefs.

Unfortunately for them, they were wrong.

The disgust that the band felt towards this movement using their music as a support for their fascist beliefs resulted in the song Nazi Punks Fuck Off being written, a song which would become one of the bands staple songs. This sort of frustration shown here is also vented off in songs such as Kepone Factory, which deals with the negligence towards the safety of employees who were working with the chemical. This song is actually a good example of the album's ability to submerse the listener in the current affairs of the time, be it the changing religious front or the political spectrum, with references to Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon, as well as some choice words thrown at the church.

Whilst the relevance of this album and the issues discussed have declined from the importance that they once had, a casual listener can still hear the meaning and importance behind the music over 30 years after its original release. The Dead Kennedys may have faded into the dull obscurity, but the music is still powerful so many years later.

Arrows Try And Stay UprightArrows Modern Art & Politics
Arrows Don't Write PoetryMiles Away Endless Roads
The Black Dahlia Murder EverblackDark New Day Hail Mary

June 6th 2013

I am continuing my mission to bring more punk back to sputnik, outside of the sputnikcore bands like the Wonder Years.

Huzzah

clercqie
June 6th 2013

Aside from a few songs here and there, I've never been a big fan of this band.

Nice write-up though.

June 6th 2013

They never really grabbed my attention. Dog Bite is and will always be one of my favourite songs by them though. But I need to find more old bands and newer punk bands that are worthy getting spotlight for

Rastapunk
June 6th 2013

GBH man, they're awesome! Dead Kennedys are pretty good too . Good review, pos'd!

Cheers man

PumpBoffBag

nice man, good review

June 6th 2013

thanks! I like your style more, mine just feels a bit restricted in comparison, aha

MrElmo

1955 Comments

Love this band but never checked this EP out, Oh and great review pos

PumpBoffBag
June 6th 2013

thanks dude, good to hear. I dig your style too, always make a point to read your reviews.

June 6th 2013

Thanks man, that means a lot (:

And Mr Elmo, if you love them, then this is a must, you also get a few seconds of humorous dialogue before most songs. Dog Bite has the best, with the speed up.

Slut
November 25th 2013

nazi punks is the best

BMDrummer
October 27th 2014

one of the best EPs ever