The National
Trouble Will Find Me

by Super Grover USER (32 Reviews)
May 31st, 2013 | 68 replies

Release Date: 05/20/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Diving, diving, diving, diving off the balcony.

The popular cliché with The National goes that each of their albums represents a different stage of life. I wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment; I’m at the point right now where I’m slowly moving past Alligator and hearing all sorts of uncomfortable truths in Boxer. I’m having fun right now. I want to stop time here and not worry about ever reaching High Violet.

And frankly, Trouble Will Find Me scares me. This is a world where adulthood doesn’t consist of fresh wounds, but picking at the old ones again and again and again. On the opening track Matt Berninger moans “I should live in salt for leaving you behind”--and live in salt he probably does. Berninger probably left “you” somewhere between Alligator and Boxer and hasn’t gotten her off his mind yet. That’s a frightening reality.

It doesn’t help that the music has mellowed. “Graceless”, for instance, doesn’t necessarily need to rattle and scream like “Abel” or “Mr. November”, but by God I want it to. I want Berninger and company to provide me with some sort of evidence that there’s life in their limbs yet. But the entire album sticks to the always fantastic drumming of Bryan Devendorf like some sort of rigid heartbeat. That could be the rigidity of a 9 to 5 job, or settling in with a family, or any sort of thing I’m not ready to do yet.

The National are going through the motions here--and while their motions are better than like, any other band in the world’s motions, Trouble Will Find Me falls slowly into the same monotony that High Violet hinted at but tried so hard to avoid. It’s the sad sound of a tremendous band running out of steam. If only Berninger could pick up new problems, sing about new things. But the band has never once wavered in their brutal accuracy, and a perfectly accurate portrayal of an average life is just average.

Trouble Will Find Me is the rosy-minded fuzz. It’s the logical next step after High Violet. It’s heartbreaking, but it’s life, and my life will probably be Trouble Will Find Me one day. But perhaps the worst part of getting older is being young and seeing your idols rust.

Friendzone DXThe Twilight Singers Blackberry Belle
Alice in Chains The Devil Put Dinosaurs HereThe Airborne Toxic Event Such Hot Blood
Meat Puppets Rat FarmThe Lonely Wild The Sun As It Comes

AliW1993
May 31st 2013

Brilliant review. Love the whole theme/concept behind it.

oooooh

Digging: Grief - Come to Grief

RobbaqPL
May 31st 2013

And for a while I actually thought this was a negative National review. I mean it kinda is, but not really.

Scoot
May 31st 2013

awesome review, always good reads from you

dont agree but hey

Digging: Renounced - The Melancholy We Ache

HolidayKirk
May 31st 2013

I disagree but you make great points that I can totally understand.

Spec

Boring album.

May 31st 2013

Having actually the review, I agree completely

Having heard Boxer and a good deal of High Violet, this sounds very much like tracking through the motions, which I guess isn't bad for the fans and this is quite a pretty album but there's only for so long that I can listen to this band before needing a break.

I still like this album and band, however. I'll go check Alligator now.

Romulus

appreciate it guys

definitely get on alligator asap, it's brilliant.

klap

HV rules though

Digging: Andy Stott - Faith in Strangers

Rev
May 31st 2013

still don't understand what everyone sees in this band

Lucid
May 31st 2013

You capture the mindset of this album well, great stuff.

sicktransitbro
May 31st 2013

i cant ever love anyone like i love you grover

May 31st 2013

for some reason this bands makes me feel a lot older than i actually am

20970 Comments

you just used the lyrics to what is perhaps my favorite song ever in the summary of a review disparaging an album I love this is so twisted

Digging: Viet Cong - Viet Cong

Romulus

cause iiiiiiiiiii'm evil

20970 Comments

okay but I seriously am in love with this review great job on this one

Point1
May 31st 2013

I went in reverse for some reason... from Boxer to High Violet to Alligator. That's my life looking up I guess.

20970 Comments

I never really fell in love with the bombast that is Alligator -- maybe that's why I'm able to accept this with such open arms where you're more hesitant
the 'mellowing' of the music, in my eyes, just provides even more room for appreciation of the subtler things that the band does so well besides the lovely baritone and crazy awesome drumming ie the changes in tempo, the more complex songwriting, the progression of the album

klap
May 31st 2013

bombast is such a bad word to use with alligator and the national in general lol