Chance The Rapper
Acid Rap

by Guzzo CONTRIBUTOR (25 Reviews)
May 20th, 2013 | 25 replies | 6,357 views

Release Date: 04/30/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Positively the Rapper.

Chance the Rapper has something different. Whether it's his voice, his ear for production, or his stop and go style that changes from being soulful singing into a double time rap, it is clear he is unique. Acid Rap is one of the most unique hip-hop experiences that you'll hear in 2013; its that breath of fresh air that Late Registration was back in 2005.

"Rap just made me anxious and acid makes me crazy" is the first line you'll hear Chance spit on Acid Rap and it's a clear representation of his style. His flow and voice differ so much from the soulful, summer-esque production that, in thought, seems like it could never work. If you could imagine Danny Brown's nasal vocals and Eminem's white boy sound coming together then Chance the Rapper is the hybrid you would receive. Now throw that sound in with the production on this album that sounds like Late Registration's jazzy soul with the summer sounds of The Dirty Heads without guitars and you have the beats showcased on Acid Rap. It's a production so abstract that it shouldn't work and yet, it does.

Acid Rap, while not being a concept album, has outstanding cohesiveness. Each song flows into each other without feeling awkward or forced. The most amazing part is that it does so without the use of interludes or skits. The songs just fit so well with each other that, much like that of Live.Long.A$AP., every song has a similar feel in order to create that cohesiveness...

... However, that is a complaint as well. Every song has that youthful, soulful exuberance in it that is the definition of Chance the Rapper. And it isn't a horrible thing, as I stated it creates that cohesiveness and its very different than most any hip hop out there right now, but as an album whole it will keep the listener in that constant state of "what's the name of that song?" each time you listen to it. It's an album filled with good songs but, with the exception of Good Ass Intro, is lacking the outstanding songs. Also, this whole trademark "sounds" that seems to be the a new fad in rap finds its way on Acid Rap. "AWKK!" (Yeah, the sound a bird makes) and "naynaynaynay" is so overused and quite annoying that it can take away from the vibe of a song. I mean, I don't want to hear Cartman and that black bird that "AWKS" outside my window in the morning on an album I'm listening to. Especially one with the production of Acid Rap. Actually, I don't think I want to hear either of those sounds with anything. Ever.

Aside from those complaints, Chance's first debut is a great achievement. It provides a unique production style with a unique voice. Is he going to be the next, "Voice of our Generation?" I don't think so, but one can find a lot in common with Late Registration and Acid Rap. Who knows, history has that funny way of repeating itself.

Royal Blood Royal BloodHow to Dress Well What Is This Heart?
Ab-Soul These Days...Tigers Jaw Charmer
La Dispute Rooms of the HouseArmand Hammer Race Music
JD154 (4.5)
A spacey, heartfelt, and unique album from a growing rapper....

Ben Thornburgh CONTRIBUTOR (4)
Youthful exuberance made sonic. I havent heard such a joyous endorsement of acid's creative qualitie...

May 20th 2013

I've got to quit comparing my Hip-Hop album reviews to Kanye albums. Also, I wanted to give this a 4, but I feel like it doesn't have the longevity factor. I'll change it in a week or so if it still peeks my interest.

oltnabrick

this review is LOL, posd

Digging: Monte / Magnétophonique - Split

Thanks main.

Sleaper
May 20th 2013

"one can find a lot in common with Late Registration and Acid Rap"

thats pretty much exactly how i was explaining his style to people.

good review.

Digging: Mick Jenkins - The Water[s]

HolidayKirk
May 20th 2013

Comparing rap albums to Kanye is like comparing rock albums to The Beatles, they're both so influential its extremely difficult not to.

Lucid
May 20th 2013

Good writing, but the album def has standouts: Pusha Man, Cocoa Butter Kisses, Lost, Favorite Song, Smoke Again, Chain Smoker are all fantastic.

Digging: Perfume Genius - Too Bright

May 20th 2013

Pusha Man and Cocoa Butter Kisses are both good and could be called great. They are actually both songs I can remember the names to as well, so I might be wrong in not including them as standouts. It's just that I think Good Ass Intro is on a level higher than that.

MMX

loving this

May 21st 2013

I feel like its the perfect hip hop to listen to during the summer

gosk8n

Perfect review man

Digging: Jonny L - Magnetic

Thanks gosk8n, compliments are always a nice welcome haha

Sleaper
May 23rd 2013

that bridge in chain smoker... daaaamn

its ma jam

Hawks
May 23rd 2013

Obviously I'm in the minority when it comes to this lol.

Digging: Engraved - Before The Tales

PunchforPunch

you're not alone

Digging: Robert Hood - Fabric 39

May 23rd 2013

What turns you off about it? Cause I can see how people can be turned off by his vocals, or his repeated catch phrases, but your beef exactly?

changnesia777
May 26th 2013

i love it when he uses different sounds from the mixtape on the outro's ending. that part was genius

SGGreenman

oh my guzzo

Digging: Croatian Amor - Genitalia Garden

johnnyblaze
March 28th 2014

fuck i love this shit. wouldve def made my top 10 last year had i not been so late to it.

LordePots
April 8th 2014

this is the most preposterous thing i've ever read on this site

Digging: Alt-J - This Is All Yours