Built on Secrets
The Disconnect

by Alex Trinkner CONTRIBUTOR (70 Reviews)
May 20th, 2013 | 23 replies | 1,931 views

Release Date: 05/21/2013 | Tracklist

To preface this review, and maybe shed some light on my musical upbringing, I would like to state that I am, and always will be, a sucker for any sort of post-hardcore music. The only thing that seemed to stick with me through my middle school follies was my love for music I know I should not be enjoying. Even in its most watered down form, I find myself tapping my feet or screaming along track after track. Even as I realize the songs I’m listening to have no music merit, not even an iota of creativity, I still find myself enjoying most of the music this genre has to offer. Now I’m sharing this as a means to hopefully let the essence of this review better serve its purpose… That, even in the eyes of this jadedly biased reviewer, with their debut album The Disconnect, Built On Secrets have created an unbelievably dull, tepid, and uninspired record.

Showing immense potential with their first E.P. Built On Secrets, burst onto the scene in 2010 with soaring melodies and inspiring songs. But with the release of their lead single “Surrender” earlier this month, the shift in the musical ideology towards poppier influences became clear as the song abused the word “we”, and displayed the first offering of a seemingly more pop-punk effort from the young band. The rest of the album does not fare much better than the horrendously clichéd album opener, as through the remaining ten tracks listeners are subjected to unoriginal song structures, characterless guitar leads, over bland palm-mutes, and tedious electronics rearing their unfocused heads at exactly the wrong moments. But amidst the mediocrity, tracks such as “Breathless” and “Recover/Recovery” show inklings of the band that graced Reflections, as the quicker tempo and undeniably catchy choruses of these two tracks act as a silver lining on an album that does not live up to the expectations surrounding it.

The Disconnect is an album you have heard before. That much is certain. And while there are occasional sparks of creativity and charm, they are too few and far between to create any sort of replay value. Leads blend into each other and the vocals grate on listeners for The Disconnect’s 11 tracks. Thankfully not a single song eclipses the 4 minute mark, making for a mercifully short listen. With every corner boasting a different cliché, it seems that this debut does not realize the potential of Built On Secret’s E.P and while this is only the first full length offering from this Australian quintet, it oozes mediocrity and complacency, not boding well for this young bands future endeavors.

Seahaven Reverie Lagoon: Music For Escapism OnlySleep Weather Two Wheels Spinning
We Are Scientists TV en FrançaisWilliam Fitzsimmons Lions
Prawn / Joie de Vivre SplitMy Epic Behold
good

May 20th 2013

I'm still trying to figure out how to write shorter reviews, sort of be more succinct. I feel like people don't want to read a thousand word essay lol.

But this comes out tomorrow in the states and has been out for awhile in Australia. I was thoroughly disappointed with this

May 20th 2013

haha damn slow down i haven't even read your last review yet ;)

Digging: Somos - Temple of Plenty

May 20th 2013

lol I just haven't written anything in awhile and i've got time now that schools done. I should probably pace them out ;)

Ecnalzen
May 20th 2013

I was not going to review this tomrrow :D

nah 1 a day's cool

"I'm still trying to figure out how to write shorter reviews"

seems like you have it down to me. Nice job it flowed well and kept the reader engaged despite being a 2.5/5 review. pos from me

mindleviticus
May 20th 2013

good review. this band's okay

@atari Thanks. I like writing these shorter ones better. lol

@mindle thanks man. and their ep was pretty good actually. this.. Not so much

T5Cx
May 20th 2013

Completely agree with review. The album is pleasant enough, just uninspiring

May 20th 2013

You agree with it, but you give it a "great" rating? lol

Cygnatti

20053 Comments

atrink, I'm assigning you to review this band! http://scanthesky.bandcamp.com/

do it now!

you'd definitely dig this, easily, mang.

Digging: Lo-Fang - Blue Film

Cygnatti

20053 Comments

same goes for you, atari!

Calc
May 20th 2013

your intro be too long for the length of the review as a whole.

but i wont listen to this good job.

May 20th 2013

Solid review, have a pos. Would you like some more detailed feedback?

Digging: Todd Terje - It's Album Time

May 20th 2013

Yeah, I was thinking that the intro may be a bit too long, but i didn't know how to make it much shorter lol

@brostep thanks. I'd love some!

All right, here goes:

Good, but could use some reworking. Like "As a preface, I'd like to shed some light...upbringing: I am, and always will be..." A lot cleaner that way

my love for music I know I should not be enjoying.

Who says you can't enjoy it? Just because it's critically panned doesn't mean you can't like it.

Why the self-deprecation?

You need neither the "now" nor the "..."

soaring melodies and inspiring songs

"inspiring" probably isn't the right word here

as the song abused the word “we”

Why is this bad? Also, you can ditch the comma after this part

I'd change the "does not" to a "doesn't." Sure, it's stylistic, but the rest of your review is so casually toned that this sticks out.

The conclusion sums up the review quite nicely.

As for the intro's length, I'd make the last two sentences part of the second paragraph. No need for them to be in the intro.

Really nice work, man! I normally have a lot more criticism than this and it's a testament to your writing that this turned out quite well.

May 20th 2013

Thanks. I'll work those things out when I have a chance.

There probably wasn't enough content to have more criticisms lol

May 21st 2013

Haha, that might be it ; ) but my reviews are usually about this length as well so the length is fine

kmace
May 21st 2013

Upon first listen I'm not hating this as much as everyone else seems to be. Sure it's super generic but it's solid none the less. I don't know, I guess I have a bit of a soft spot for these guys but I'm leaning toward a 3 or 3.5 right now. Great review though atrink!

May 21st 2013

Well i mean I don't hate it. It's just not that good of a record. Thanks for liking the review though!

10571z