Uncle Acid And The Deadbeats
Mind Control

by ksoflas USER (6 Reviews)
May 14th, 2013 | 23 replies

Release Date: 05/14/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: And the never ending acid nightmare continues...

The massive resurgence of retro-vintage rock of recent years and the fling of various bands reminds me an era in stoner / desert rock when bands succeed each other without precedent. From all these bands only the good ones survived and continued to serve the music that they love. One such case is that of Uncle Acid And The Deadbeats who will surely stay comfortably in the spotlight and will certainly continue to amaze us with their fantastic atmospheric music for many years to come.

"Mind Control" is their third studio album and it's more than obvious that the band is at its best. Without a trace of fatigue, saturation or repetition of their very strong previous releases ("Vol .1", "Blood Lust") the band goes even further enriching their vintage sound with influences from straight stoner up passages with intense psychedelia of the 60s/70s and specifically The Beatles. Acid / fuzz rock touches succeeded by doomy Sabbath riffs which are framed by the beautiful snaky vocals of Uncle Acid. The overall result is beyond belief. All tracks are unique several pieces which form a special musical addiction. The inaugural "Mt. Abraxas" puts you in the mood outright with a strongly reminiscent of the band's doom side, "Mind Crawler" increases speed and takes you back to the sound of "Blood Lust", "Poison Apple" lifts off the album and ideally prefaces the melancholic "Desert Ceremony" and the heavy up-tempo "Evil Love". Then follows the tranquility and splendor of blues / garage epic "Death Valley Blues" until you come face to face with oriental elements and acoustic guitars that the band introduces to "Follow The Leader". Ultra doom horror rock is back with the massive block that bears the name "Valley Of The Dolls''. The epilogue of "Devil's Work" is a "monotonous" and catchy song that really penetrates and encapsulates the listener with it's pace.

A truly unbelievable and ultimate release, " Mind Control" is a real must have for all tasteful lovers of rock community. And the never ending acid nightmare continues...

Savatage The Dungeons Are CallingAlice in Chains Black Gives Way to Blue
Paradise Lost Tragic IdolAgua de Annique Air
Crimson Glory Transcendence

May 14th 2013

All kind of comments are welcome.

Mad.
May 14th 2013

Sounds interesting, will give it a listen.

Review was alright but you need more paragraphs and you basically said it was the best album ever but only gave it 4/5...

May 14th 2013

It's a solid 4. I got the point though.

May 14th 2013

You should give it a listen for sure.

May 14th 2013

Didn't like this anywhere near as much as Blood Lust after my first listen. I'll give it another spin though.

Digging: Foxes in Fiction - Ontario Gothic

May 14th 2013

I think it will grow on you after some listens. Trully nice album.

Voivod
May 14th 2013

Fair review, however it could use some more detail.

I've been spinning my physical copy of this (CD) for some days now...

This one started as a 4, then gradually dropped down to a 3.5 and now it's gradually going uphill again.

I think there's no stoner in this album, there is definitely more doom. At the same time, the band seems to have entered the kingdom of '60s/'70s fuzzed out drone, the way Wooden Shjips done it in their debut album.

Digging: Aspherium - The Fall of Therenia

May 14th 2013

I was expecting a comment from you patrioth!
Can't agree more.

SteelErectedb4you8er
May 14th 2013

In all honesty, it sounds like George Harrison on vocals somewhat, there is a Beatles tinge, but if the Beatles took a more
dark, psychedelic path and met halfway with Black Sabbath's doom elements. "Valley of the Dolls" sounds like The Beatles
slowed down, my favorite song off the record. It keeps getting better in my opinion.

SladetoBlack

DOublepost

SladetoBlack
May 14th 2013

I don't know about this one. Bloodlust sounded fresh in the midst of all the throwback stoner sludge bands, but this just sounds kind of generic.

SteelErectedb4you8er
May 14th 2013

I don't know what ears you have on, but this album sounds step above Blood Lust and I really love Blood Lust. It sounds like them, but more evolved. And the concept of the album followed by the song arrangement is well-placed.

manosg
May 15th 2013

I like their first two albums so I'll definitely give this one a spin.

Digging: Whitesnake - Slide It In

May 15th 2013

Uncle Acid And The Deadbeats are definetely a band full of quality.
Every album they release is a music gem.

MrElmo

1955 Comments

Great band and sabbath worship done real well

May 15th 2013

Yeah this is pretty much how I felt after my first listen.

DrHouseSchuldiner

Vol 1 and Blood Lust were pretty cool ...so im gonna check this one asap

Feels
May 22nd 2013

After a few listens, still feel like blood lust was better

Digging: Full Of Hell and Merzbow - Full Of Hell & Merzbow

May 22nd 2013

Yeah I'm not digging this anywhere near as much as Blood Lust. Still good though.

NightProwler
May 29th 2013

I haven't heard their earlier efforts, but I agree that this sounds a little generic after having listened to it all the way through. I'll probably end on a 3.5. But I guess I'll take on Blood Lust!

Still great music, though. Lots of good riffing and soli some places

Digging: The Hotelier - It Never Goes Out