Mark Kozelek & Jimmy Lavalle
Perils from the Sea

by Lucid CONTRIBUTOR (17 Reviews)
May 11th, 2013 | 38 replies

Release Date: 04/30/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A tepid work with a thoughtful heart, one vaguely beating behind mumbles and programmed beats.

Perils from the Sea is a collaboration that is constructed simply, and describing it is even simpler: imagine the slowcore of Red House Painters evoked with a ”folktronica” backdrop, a moody foundation over which Mark Kozelek provides voiceovers of his life’s mundanities. Jimmy LaValle has schemed out a fresh setting for Kozelek’s storytelling here – tinkering beats, ominous synthlines, sullen guitar chords – yet the result is frustratingly humdrum. He commits to slowcore at the expense of active engagement, as elements are rendered linearly with an inbuilt resistance to change. But it will work for some listeners: fans of Red House Painters will appreciate the nod to that era in Kozelek’s history, on the condition that they are open to LaValle’s laptop electronics. Everyone else will have to endure the stiffness of this minimalistic do-over, eight minutes at a time. Expect patience to be tested, regardless of which camp you fall in.

The shift in Kozelek’s outlook on making music has been disheartening and is forcefully so on this album. Where the folk musician once labored on his songwriting, passionately weaving arrangements on Ghosts… and April, he effectively retired on Among the Leaves, dryly mocking his career in songs that self-effaced as often as they self-referenced. Now he’s released Perils from the Sea, which features barely any songwriting at all: stories are recited as if they are spoken word, tracks concluding at the end of the lyric sheet. Simple melodies steer the words in rhythm, and the tracks plod along from there, LaValle matching the nonchalance with the unshifting backdrop. The silky croons of April that harmonized tenderly with melodic guitarwork are long gone: Kozelek now mumbles through his stories with unnerving disregard.

I guess it’s to his favor that his narratives are interesting when they catch the ear: “Gustavo” details companionship with an illegal immigrant, support that is reluctantly cut after the man is deported. “I hung up and my heart was heavy,” Kozelek confesses, as he chillingly recollects Gustavo’s request for a money transfer through a payphone south of the border. Tuning into Kozelek’s words is fruitful, but they are often lost to dreary presentation. That this artist has lost faith in songwriting lets down his penned material, one of the more depressing acknowledgements to be had with Perils from the Sea. Overall, this collaboration feels lukewarm, the product of exchanged emails rather than a wholehearted connection between two artists. I hope dearly that Kozelek regains faith in his music; I’ve unfortunately had to let go of mine in his.

Arcade Fire ReflektorCrash of Rhinos Knots
Fiona Apple The Idler Wheel...Deafheaven Sunbather
Panda Bear TomboyTera Melos X'ed Out

Lucid
May 11th 2013

An actual negative review this time.

Aids
May 11th 2013

will read/agree with when I am no longer hammered

Digging: Taylor Swift - 1989

Ponton

Digging: Ben Howard - I Forget Where We Were

scissorlocked
May 11th 2013

I thought this was good...

nice review btw!

Digging: Distance - Outer Limits

AndyDigital
May 11th 2013

Well written but couldn't disagree more. However, I just found Kozelek through this music so I am not
seeing this through the lens of his prior work.

Edit: PS I'm not the neg...haha

Maniac!
May 11th 2013

Why was this negged? It's a good review

fish.

22034 Comments

I like the first two songs. Don't know about the rest

(pos)

Digging: Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

jeremologyy
May 11th 2013

I really like this, and I am a big fan of Kozelek and Sun Kil Moon and Red House Painters. i think it's a great album with some of his best storytelling yet.

klap

nice dude

Digging: Jessie Ware - Tough Love

TheNexus100

mark is awful now

Digging: Full Of Hell & Merzbow - Full Of Hell & Merzbow

Lucid
May 11th 2013

I seem to be in the minority with disliking this, so it's likely still worth a listen.

oldsoul
May 12th 2013

I'm still making up my mind about this - great review though.

Digging: Circa Survive - Descensus

joshuatree
May 12th 2013

yeah this album pretty much sucks

May 12th 2013

Rating is exactly right. Solid work as per usual man

robin
May 12th 2013

this album.... just... odd. e-mail music.

May 12th 2013

Ali u know i like you but i think our tastes are inverses of one another

This is easily one of his freshest and best albums. The minimalism is put to perfect use. There is just as much imagination here, youre just not attuned to hear it. Its more subtle, but its def not the lazy affair you make it out to be. I think it takes more effort to craft an album like this than april. Its not immediately accessible and sometimes it runs in place, but that is exactly what makes it so beautiful

robertsona
May 12th 2013

"There is just as much imagination here, youre just not attuned to hear it."

lol kitsch literally all of your opinions on albums are predicated upon people who don't like it being Plebeians or w/e. if you're going to try to spin it as objective back this up or something

May 12th 2013

Hes obv not attuned to hear it or he would have heard it duh

Anthropic theory bitch