Eluvium
Nightmare Ending

by Eli EMERITUS
May 10th, 2013 | 76 replies

Release Date: 05/14/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Matthew Cooper the man, finally meeting Eluvium the artist.

When Nightmare Ending really hit me, I was driving down the freeway on a warm day with the windows rolled down. Strange, really, as connecting with ambient music has always been easiest in seclusion and isolation; introverted scenarios for introverted music. Yet Eluvium’s seventh album bucks such an idea, and with it, its very own beginnings. Nightmare Ending was a concept born from Matthew Cooper’s intense perfectionism. It stood as a way to loosen his hold on his music and embrace the inherent flaws within. Perhaps this is what gives the album its surprisingly open feeling. Rather than retract into himself, chasing after perfection that will always be from reach, Eluvium for once has laid himself bare for all to see. The result is a humanizing piece of work that shows us Matthew Cooper the man, as well as Eluvium the artist.

It should come as no surprise that Nightmare Ending was intended to be the follow up to his opus, Copia. While a couple of diversions led him to explore different areas of his sound, this album was always in the back of his mind. And really, it is exactly what one would expect from a successor to his 2007 record. At times, however, his latest oft feels like a distortion to some of his other works. In keeping with his wish to loosen his perfectionist grip, many of the selections on Nightmare Ending progress as one would expect, only to become discombobulated or take an unexpected turn. Yes, plenty of the album drones while piano fills the void. But even the loveliest of pieces can take a dark turn, only to find themselves ending in luscious and life affirming conclusion. Copia, despite its inherent beauty seemingly born organically, comes off almost mechanistic by comparison. With its clean lines and edges fitting its lofty sound, it stands as a perfect counter to Nightmare Ending’s rawer, more personal approach.

A massive album, Nightmare Ending runs for roughly 84 minutes. Within that time Eluvium creates a collection of overly saturated tunes featuring some of the most emotive sounds he’s ever compiled. Some songs drone with monotony, while others make unexpected turns, with each attempting something different. Whether it is the faintly melancholy “Caroling,” or the strangely dark and unwieldy “By the Rails,” the album leaves the listener breathless with unease yet at the same time completely uplifted. This is where the album succeeds. It’s a much more jagged experience; a patchwork as opposed to an exercise in consistency. In spite of this, or perhaps because of it, Nightmare Ending manages to be Eluvium’s most evocative and interesting work to date.

Antemasque AntemasqueGrouper Ruins
Jonny Hunter CONTRIBUTOR (4)
The piano, the drone, and the distortion....

Xenophanes
May 10th 2013

2013 needs to slow down. I cannot keep up with all of this stuff.

May 10th 2013

idk why you guys don't just round up. great review though

StrangerofSorts

ROUND UP TO 5!

Great review, man. (:

Irving

2013 needs to slow down. I cannot keep up with all of this stuff.[2]

idk why you guys don't just round up.

Because we can.

Digging: Portishead - Dummy

Oh come on guys 2013 hasn't been THAT amazing

the new immolation is fairly disappointing for example

Digging: Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

Oh come on guys 2013 hasn't been THAT amazing

You have so many 4s and 4.5s already..

Digging: Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

bad habit of mine

I tend to give high ratings to stuff I like on the first few listens and then forget about it

22034 Comments

yeah I don't do that. When I go on people's profiles and they've given four 4s/4.5s in the past three days I always wonder how they can listen to that much music, enjoy so much of it and have enough time to actually give so many repeat listens to these supposed near classics

20945 Comments

I envy your patience, young padawan

22034 Comments

I envy everyone else's ability to love all the music that comes to me. At this rate my average is gonna fall below 3

JS19
May 10th 2013

'It should come as no surprise that Nightmare Ending was intended to be the follow up to his opus, Copia'

That explains a lot

Nice review

Digging: Taylor Swift - 1989

toxin.
May 10th 2013

great review but you've tempered my expectations despite a pretty high score, man

Aids
May 10th 2013

my new sleeping/relaxing album, so so good

nice review

Digging: Taylor Swift - 1989

alachlahol
May 11th 2013

this is a nice release, much better than that turd similes

MiNombreEsChon
May 11th 2013

Hotel compositor de la leche ácido láctico neutro es mejor que el síndrome del intestino irritable

omnipanzer
May 14th 2013

I'm guessing this is very good for anyone who likes this sort of thing but I'm not a huge fan of background music.

"2013 needs to slow down. I cannot keep up with all of this stuff."
Kind of feeling that way myself right now.

Calc
May 14th 2013

will probably be good will check naw

Digging: Mr. Oizo - The Church

scissorlocked
May 15th 2013

eluvium was and still is a classic sputnik rec

Digging: Distance - Outer Limits

minty901
May 15th 2013

2080 Comments

this has been getting a lot of good reception. #2 of 2013 on RYM as of now, and eluvium's highest-rated album by far. though i guess that will come down as more people have time with it and more people rate it.

BlueW