The Monolith Deathcult
Tetragrammaton

by Matthew Hopkins USER (45 Reviews)
May 9th, 2013 | 19 replies

Release Date: 05/14/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Brutal death metal with a light hearted edge.

As a general rule of thumb, I'm not much of a death metal fan, particularly I'm not a fan of the heavier side of the genre, the constant “Gawr! Gawr! Gawr!” of lyrics that don't make any sense and the brutal yet clichéd and often boring “GRIND! GRIND! GRIND!” that the guitars belch out umpteen times a minute. Death metal is a genre that is teetering on the edge of utmost boredom, trapped by the very distinctions that make it unique.

Monolith Deathcult's Tetragrammaton is like the death metal version of febreeze. Something so fresh and unique that it actually sounds pretty damn good. The Deathcult manage to mix death metal with a little bit of comic relief. Unlike most bands, they actually know how serious the death metal genre takes itself, and they use this to their advantage. Whether it is the robotic sounding voice that welcomes you to this album, or the same voice which repeatedly mispronounces the album title on the final track, the Deathcult know that this is what the genre is all about, and keep it as fresh as possible.

Tetragrammaton starts as it means to continue, this album is a brutal onslaught of death metal with subtle symphonic tones. Heavy pounding drums and sounds of impending doom whisk you away on a journey, that will only end with the destruction of the 'stars, life and nebulae'. 'Gods among insects' is exactly what you'd expect from a heavy death metal band, brutal guitars and frantic drumming that could wake the dead. In amongst this maelstorm of noise stands a lone keyboard with a passion for the symphonic tones that makes up so much of this genre's history. He alone stands against the coming darkness of brutal death metal, like a stalwart rock in the midst of a raging torrent.

However, a shout out goes to the vocals, because I can actually understand what they are singing about, which is a first for me. Kok does a brilliant job behind the microphone, and his growling throbbing voice will cut through your skin like a cannon filled with broken glass and oozing balls of hatred.

The album pushes the time to just under an hour, with the shortest song being just under six and a half minutes. Whilst it would seem like a long haul TMDC manages to make it seem fresh and exciting all of the way through the album. Something about this record just seems to stick with you, and help you across it's length. It is full of cheesy remarks and cheesier vocals. With that robotic voice that you meet on the first track popping up throughout the album, telling you these days men shall see death, amongst other more important things. But it all adds to the mood of the record, and helps it gain a specific type of style.

TDCM are totally aware of their flaws, and they know that this type of metal is not for the faint hearted. Anyone looking for guitar virtuosos should look elsewhere for their fix, this is pure metal to bang your head too until you can't bang no more. This is music to mosh pit to until someone walks away with a bloody nose and a battered face. TMDC provide an excellent outlet for all your anger and emotion. However, despite all this attempt as freshness, there is nothing new from the death metal genre to be gained here, and whilst it is all brilliant work, you have probably heard most of it before.

In conclusion, The Monolith Deathcult have produced an album that is both heavy and light hearted, they understand that death metal ain't getting any heavier and they don't try to achieve that. Instead they sit on the fringe of supreme heaviness, throw in a keyboardist and a spoon full of comedy. This album is full of cliches, catchy riffs, intense drumming and crazy album titles. Yet it is something that this genre needs, because sometimes death metal needs to lighten up. Listen to with caution, because if you're not careful your ears may fall off and you will no longer be able to hear music.

Hawkwind [Light Orchestra] Stellar VariationsTransatlantic Kaleidoscope
Hawkwind OnwardHawkwind Blood of the Earth
Motorhead AftershockHawkwind Take Me to Your Future

May 9th 2013

Originally posted here. http://meltingalbumreviews.wordpress.com/2013/05/10/the-monolith-deathcult-tetragrammaton/

YoYoMancuso

nice review man

May 9th 2013

Thank you Sir, tis good stuff.

Pestiferous

bland

SubtleBody
May 9th 2013

I don't know if I like this, but I'll check it out. Haven't listened to this band before.

Ovrot
May 10th 2013

was pretty cool
Triumvirate is better

DropdeadWHA
May 11th 2013

Not a fan of the first paragraph but it's a solid review. I don't think I'll check this out, though.

May 11th 2013

It is more or less a useless paragraph I admit.

XfingTheSullen
May 13th 2013

I'm definitely gonna check it out. Triumvirate was great.

MosesMalone
May 13th 2013

I'm all for humor in death metal, and being different, and all that, but I found that all of the little tongue-in-cheek parts, especially the robo-vocals, really distracted from the overall quality of the album. Which is a shame; I like the mix of EDM and tech-death with those super burpy growls. But the worst thing ever is when a metal band namedrops themselves in a song.

XfingTheSullen
May 13th 2013

Come on. Crotchduster do that all the time on their album.

TheNotrap
May 15th 2013

Nice arrangements but the songwriting isn't top notch.

Digging: Funebrarum - The Sleep of Morbid Dreams

YUJOS
May 24th 2013

Now I got an idea how Ministry would sound if they played death metal.

Digging: Skaphe - Skphe

August 10th 2013

this is good. i'm liking trivmvirate a bit more but this is still decent

August 25th 2013

Never tired listening to this. thought of making a review, but you pretty much nailed it. Pos'd

August 25th 2013

trivmvirate fills me with so much more than this one, but this one's still alright

August 25th 2013

yeah, that one's really good. but this really grew on me. Gods Amongst Insects is a killer track.

to put it in perspective, I gave Trivmvirate a 4.5 and this a 2.5 :p

August 25th 2013

haha, im okay with your rating though.