Bring Me the Horizon
Sempiternal

2.0
poor

by Alienhell USER (9 Reviews)
May 7th, 2013 | 38 replies | 2,026 views

Release Date: 04/01/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: At least you tried.

Well, Bring Me The Horizon, you've done it again. This year, I've been hit in the face with another chapter of your extended exploration into the metalcore genre that began back in 2008 with Suicide Season, and you still haven't found what you're looking for. To be honest, Sempiternal only makes me think that they've actually just forgotten why they started it to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I liked Suicide Season and to an extent enjoyed parts of There Is A Hell...But I can't help but feel that the musical approach taken by BMTH in this album has just resulted in them backing into the corner of the one genre they're comfortable with. To those not familiar with other bands in the metalcore genre, this may appear an exciting venture with the integration of synth and melodic vocals in BMTH's music. However, for those aware of other bands; this isn't anything particularly new or unique. It doesn't add any sense of freshness to Sempiternal as an album. At its base, it's really just BMTH just doing the same old thing that they've been repeating since the success of Suicide Season - with added features to widen their appeal to more fans. And it's getting old real fast.

As I managed to get a download of this from the horrendous leak disaster that occurred a month prior to the album's release date, I was able to get stuck straight into their new offering. And I've got to admit, the album starts well. 'Can You Feel My Heart' openly grabs attention with some really nice atmospheric, overwhelming synth before you get to hear Oli Sykes' first true attempt at melodic vocals with his typical emotional lyrics that can be found on pretty much every song on There Is A Hell... For example: 'I'm at the edge of the world, where do I go from here? Do I disappear?' these contrasting later on with the somewhat childishly offensive lyrics of Anti-Vist: 'Middle fingers up, if you don't give a ***!'. Whilst the latter is really just a patronising attempt at signifying anger, the majority of lyrics fit the melodic approach; but aren't particularly engaging. It's all well and good that he's singing about being on the edge of the world and his empire falling down; but it's hard to relate to or feel anything beyond a horrifically bad sense of melodrama that may have been genuine emotion back in Suicide Season and There Is A Hell... - but here is just being put on top as something for all the kids to enjoy. His vocal style isn't exactly bad on this album, but he doesn't extend it any further than the mid-high harsh screams for verses and breakdowns and the melodic vocals for the choruses. And this formula is repeated on practically every single song on Sempiternal.

Aside from the prominent vocal issue with this album, I have to unfortunately comment on the guitarwork. Put simply, there's more chugging to be found on this album than an Amish dairy. Songs like 'Empire (Let Them Sing)', 'Sleepwalking' & 'Shadow Moses' make this outstandingly obvious. Whilst songs like 'Anti-Vist' & 'Crooked Young' ALSO include chugging sections, because BMTH love them so damn much! On a serious note, despite this dreary and painfully repetitive base for most songs - there are some decent attempts at incorporating post-rock elements into the songs. My only gripe with this is that it's fine if you use this nice feature for specific moments for effect; but when every song features the main riff being played at a slower tempo than it is regularly at and sounding like it's in the middle of the Antarctic - it gets so very, very uninspired. It's a plus that they included this idea, but for the most part the songs are simply songs we've heard before slammed with the synth influences. Occasionally this is broken apart with relatively unique songs like 'And The Snakes Start To Sing' that create a nice atmosphere, 'Seen It All Before' & 'Hospital Of Souls' - albeit these are largely just showing off (and are dependant upon) the new features that BMTH have introduced with Sempiternal: synth and melodic vocals. The drumming is pretty much the same as it's always been in BMTH's music; if you cut out the more interesting d-beat and frantic speed inspired sections in their previous two albums. Unfortunately nailed down to the mid-tempo nature of the songs as a whole. It's nothing special, really.

When I listen to Sempiternal, I feel like I'm a parent telling Bring Me The Horizon that I'm not angry at them; I'm just disappointed. I really am. I expected better, but it appears as though they've merely hit the default button in order to appeal to the teenage kids who make up the majority of their fan base. No real expansion, even if BMTH think they have - it'll earn them more places at festivals but little respect from a more adult fan base.

Lana Del Rey UltraviolenceBeyond the Shore The Arctic Front
Hang The Bastard Hang The BastardNo Zodiac Population Control
Misericordiam A Thin Line Between Man And MachineDesolated Verse of Judas

May 7th 2013

I figured most of my reviews were rather positive for the most part, so I needed something to challenge myself with.

FrozenVain
May 7th 2013

You'll get a pile of negs for this one though

oh well.

May 7th 2013

I haven't actually rated it but I'd probably give it a 3.

DrGonzo1937
May 7th 2013

Good review. But I have to disagree all the same. Still, we can't all have the same taste. lol

Artuma

ugh, another Sempiternal review

review is good however, band and album aren't

Digging: 68 - In Humor and Sadness

May 7th 2013

Aye, it's cool if you dig it - just ain't for me is all.

I wasn't particularly intending on reviewing this album, I just needed to find something from my preferred list of bands that didn't sit 100% with me.

May 7th 2013

I generally prefer it and I feel there's more diversity there than on here in m'pinion.

whatshisname

More diversity on Suicide Season...wat

TheSpaceMan

More diversity on Suicide Season...wat [2]

DrGonzo1937
May 7th 2013

Man's entitled to an opinion. I like anything from SS onward, but it's definitely the weakest. Anything before SS is inaudible.

May 7th 2013

holy fuck we totally needed another review of this

Digging: Trophy Scars - Never Born, Never Dead

May 7th 2013

You continuously saying that is more annoying than the reviews

Digging: Septicflesh - Communion

May 7th 2013

you continually commenting about whenever I comment is the epitome of annoying

May 7th 2013

It's meant to be. That way you'll be made to improve your comments

May 7th 2013

or you could improve the site by stop being on it

PunchforPunch

hahaha

Digging: Horna / Behexen - Split

ViralOblivion
May 7th 2013

I agree with the rating but this review is not very good

May 7th 2013

Incredible. 3 comments in a row of you saying exactly what I thought you'd say each time. Then again, I shouldn't be surprised by that, coming from a typically self important user who just circumvents criticism and deflects pretty much the exact comment right back. Maybe when you contribute more than just adding more to the clusterfuck of idiotic comments reiterated every thread and bitching cos someone negged your mediocre review, I'll take what you say seriously.

PunchforPunch