The Stooges
Ready To Die

good

by an actual bundle of sticks is smarter than you are USER (41 Reviews)
May 4th, 2013 | 14 replies | 3,729 views

Release Date: 04/29/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: After the abysmal "The Weirdness" in 2007, the veteran proto-punk rock group shows signs of improvement in "Ready to Die", but have a long way to go if they are to show that they still have what it takes to be a great band after all these years.

The Stooges have been through a lot in the past decade since their reunion: A comeback concert marred by the 2003 Blackout, loads of touring, oddly, with most of it being in Europe, especially after the release of "The Weirdness" in 2007; the death of guitarist Ron Asheton in 2009, and the return of James Williamson, who came out of retirement and his prominent post at Sony to play with the Stooges. After Asheton's death, Iggy Pop proclaimed that "The Stooges died with him, [Asheton] but there's still "Iggy and the Stooges."

In 2012, five years after "The Weirdness", it was announced that "Ready to Die" would be released the following April on Fat Possum Records. Thus began the anticipation, sparked with a snippet of "Job" with Iggy dressed as a scarecrow.

Admittedly, when I saw this, I wasn't that impresssed and was baffled. But none the less, I was excited for the album. Sure, it wasn't going to be a second "Raw Power", but that wasn't the point of the album. "Ready to Die" is simply a Stooges record for the sake of being a Stooges record, and not looking to be the next "Raw Power", but to be different and to earn a place among the nearly-perfect discography of the band.

"Ready to Die", though decent when it comes to its songwriting, the instrumental work is perfect for a group like The Stooges. Unfortunately, "Ready to Die" doesn't stay consistent, and tends to go off the rails every now and then. Iggy's vocals are at its best in nearly five years, and compliments the music very well. The only thing missing is Ron Asheton on bass, but in return, we get Mike Watt, who isn't too bad, but lacks the charm and power that Asheton had on the bass.

While there are some flaws in "Ready to Die", it shows that the group still has what it takes to be great and hopefully, if they have a follow-up waiting it the wings, it'll improve on this.

A Slow Descent Dance With Me Upon His Secret OceanYes Heaven and Earth
The Flaming Lips 7 Skies H3Swans To Be Kind
The Mothers of Invention Uncle MeatOctobre Octobre
good

rockandmetaljunkie
May 3rd 2013

I'm a big fun of the Stooges but idk if I will jam this one.

Gwynbleiddsfang
May 3rd 2013

I'm hoping that that album title has something to do with the band

I only heard 2 songs from the previous album but they were embarassing, still need to jam older stuff tho

tempest--
May 3rd 2013

Ugh, another track by track? Come on...

You haven't really described the album a whole lot, you just say that there is "good guitar work" in every track. If I was in a bad mood I'd probably neg this.

Digging: Kimbra - The Golden Echo

Calc
May 3rd 2013

I like your name but yeah, track by tracks are lame. I get that there's drumming and riffs in the record.

Digging: He Is Legend - Heavy Fruit

May 3rd 2013

what? this is that good?

then i must listen

Adabelle
May 4th 2013

It's a decent album, wasn't huge on the lyrics...

prob sucks

Digging: David Axelrod - Song of Innocence

May 4th 2013

^wow KILL that fucking hurts bro

rockandmetaljunkie
May 26th 2013

Then, you probably need to edit your introduction. You're contradicting your self with the following statements:
"makes a fantastic return to form with "Ready to Die"."
"Ready to Die" doesn't stay consistent, and tends to go off the rails every now and then."

eddie95
August 3rd 2013

pretty decent album, nothing special though

Digging: Soft Machine - The Soft Machine

MUNGOLOID
September 5th 2013

they should make one more album so they can call it even and quits.

Pheromone
October 28th 2013

The albums good but cringey as all fuck.

Digging: Early Day Miners - Placer Found

oltnabrick
May 15th 2014

Hopefully, this does the album justice, and gets it a great review it deserves. It's a shame people's votes put it down to a 2.9. The average should be 3.3 at most.

Digging: Ariana Grande - My Everything