My Dying Bride

good

by Trey Spencer STAFF
May 3rd, 2013 | 18 replies | 6,172 views

Release Date: 05/13/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: My Dying Bride by the numbers. Good stuff, but nothing new or exciting.

My Dying Bride have already cemented their legacy as one of the founding fathers of doom. Early in their career they were lucky enough to release back-to-back classics, and the rest is pretty much history. Since then, the band have remained relevant but largely unremarkable. With one exception, they have managed to create a series of solid doom releases that are entertaining yet unexciting. The band’s latest EP, The Manuscript, won’t be changing that pattern.

If you’ve heard any of the band’s last few releases, you’ll know exactly what to expect with this one. The Manuscript is four more songs of morose doom featuring the unique vocals of Aaron Stainthorpe. If there is a minor difference, it is that each track seems to focus on a specific facet of the band’s sound. Opening track ‘The Manuscript’ sticks entirely to the slow, cyclical guitar melodies that have come to dominate the My Dying Bride sound, and the vocals are ‘clean’ throughout. The following track bumps up the aggression by throwing in a bit of the death metal influence that the band has incorporated from time to time. The third song, ‘A Pale Shroud of Longing’, is a moody piece that places more emphasis on violin melodies and storytelling. The fourth and final track is good, but feels like an outro extended to song length.

There’s really not a lot to say about the latest EP by My Dying Bride. The Manuscript is a collection of four good doom songs that stick entirely to the MDB formula. There’s nothing exciting or innovating about the album – it simply exists. For fans that feel there’s always room for more My Dying Bride; make room because here’s more and it doesn’t disappoint. For those that are happy with the albums you already own, you won’t be missing anything special by sticking with them.

Anathema Distant SatellitesFlotsam and Jetsam No Place for Disgrace - 2014
Mindcage Our Own DevicesFates Warning Darkness in a Different Light
Queensryche QueensrycheSkinny Puppy Weapon
3.3

Brostep
May 3rd 2013

Solid review as always. My one minor issue is that you kind of say "Hey, the whole thing is unremarkable," which is fine, but I feel like you don't need to describe all four tracks - that part feels like padding. No one's gonna get mad at you for making this two short paragraphs instead of three, but it's good anyways - I can tell there's really not a lot to say about this, and I totally understand as it's happened to me before. That said, I'm only a lowly contrib and you're Willie, so take my advice at your own risk.

Willie
May 3rd 2013

It is padding. Anything less felt like a soundoff.

Digging: Nero Di Marte - Derivae

greg84
May 3rd 2013

The middle para works fine for me tbh. Good review.

Digging: 68 - In Humor and Sadness

ReAnimator
May 3rd 2013

I wonder if the film "In the Mouth of Madness" had any influence on the title/cover art?

Good review btw

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

Voivod
May 3rd 2013

that part feels like padding

The review is for an EP, so it works.

It's always a problem of what to write when it comes to critically acclaimed bands revising their extensive back catalog in a new release.

Press releases help mostly in writing good opening paragraphs, but when the music feels similar, there's not much new to write about.

I had this situation up to a certain extent while writing the review for the new Vicious Rumors album, which is excellent, yet it is similar in character with the previous VR albums.

Digging: Troldhaugen - Obzkure Anekdotez For Maniakal Massez

May 3rd 2013

i like this ep quite a bit [:

DoubtGin

well too bad

:[

Wizard
May 4th 2013

19335 Comments

Band sucks, especially their last album. I like a few in their back catalogue and that's it. Much better doom out there.

Great review as per usual Willie.

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

May 5th 2013

there isn't really another doom metal band out there quite like my dying bride tho ]:

Willie
May 5th 2013

They definitely have a unique sound to them (unless you count Mourning Beloveth), but that's not MDB's fault. I think they do better with full albums because almost all of their EPs have been average to good (except for the last one which was only one long track... that was really good).

May 19th 2013

Pretty boring. Pretty average. It's just an EP with all the 'bad tracks' that they didn't choose for their last album.

May 19th 2013

yeah, we know that, but that doesn't mean it isn't good

May 19th 2013

I didn't say that you don't know it. Well , the fact that they released an EP instead of a new album full of fillers is pretty good move.

May 20th 2013

if these songs were on the last album they wouldn't have fit at all

i know i called them offcuts too but i'm starting to think that i was wrong

May 20th 2013

Maybe I'll like it more in the future.

joshieboy12345
May 22nd 2013

It's alright.

May 22nd 2013

yeah this only barely scapes a 3.5 solely on the basis i like my dying bride a lot, really it's closer to a 3