Uriah Heep
Demons and Wizards

by TheSpaceMan USER (12 Reviews)
May 2nd, 2013 | 21 replies | 826 views

Release Date: 1972 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It may not be something you'll be proud to play on a first date, but it's hard not to like dorky accessibility of it.

I’ll admit that this album was before my time, riding along the wake of biggies ‘Zeppelin and ‘Sabbath. While I can give to anyone a considerably long list of bands of recent times, the number of albums I’ve heard outside the recent decades is limited. Naturally these are the more appreciated ones of the past; the ones that people saw a worth in keeping around a little while longer.

That’s where Demons and Wizards comes in. It’s got the obvious influences from the 70s classics. English to boot, the name and mood of the album matches the tone of medieval European. The title-based tracks further support this theme by depicting fantasy images and ideas. You know what? It somehow all works.

This soundscape of fantasy times and whimsical adventure may not be something you’ll be proud to play on a first date, but it’s hard not to like the dorky accessibility of it. Acoustic sounding chords dance around adventurous vocals begging to be played in the backyard with a beer in hand. Drum patterns are consistently interesting to help keep a welcoming and enjoyable flow. It’s a simple but effective rock formula that offers the perfect amount of accessibility. Fault in the album exists, but it’s not meant to be flawless. Sure, it’s repetitive and not trying too hard to break unoriginality. It’s also fun and interesting without being mindless. It’s got a well rooted concept and sound. It’s the kind of album that that works well enough to have a reason not to be forgotten.

T2 It'll All Work Out in BoomlandThe Paper Kites States
Airbag All Rights RemovedMartin O' Donnell Halo 2, Vol. 2 OST
Harry Chapin Portrait GalleryMotorpsycho Heavy Metal Fruit
4.3
Daniel Dias (4.5)
Uriah Heep at its best!...

newWorld (4)

May 2nd 2013

my dad used to play this one a lot and I hated to admit how much i liked it

tempest--
May 2nd 2013

Probably a bit short, you haven't really described the release all that much. I would suggest trying to write a review for someone who has never heard of the band and/or album.

This album rocks hard. I think Look At Yourself is a bit better, but they're both excellent, and this band is far too overlooked when compared to other prog/rock giants of the '70s.

May 2nd 2013

yeah im a bigger fan of shorter reviews because they are more pleasant to read, but that doesnt mean i should skimp out on the sustenance of the music. thanks for the tip!

manosg
May 2nd 2013

Underrated band. Look At Yourself is my favorite from them but this is also excellent.

Digging: Jan Akkerman - Tabernakel

Piglet
May 2nd 2013

there's actually not that much bad about this album

JamieTwort
May 2nd 2013

Great album. Very 'eavy... Very 'umble is my favourite Heep album followed by Look at Yourself, then this.

Digging: Benoit Pioulard - Hymnal Remixes

May 2nd 2013

what are you guyses favorites off this?

MO

rules

Digging: Soundtrack - Turok 2: Seeds of Evil OST

JamieTwort
May 2nd 2013

My favourites on here are probably The Wizard, Easy Livin' and The Spell.

sweet choices

May 2nd 2013

this album is far from repetitive

May 2nd 2013

its formula-driven is what i meant. a lot more predictable than other 70s prog but i think that actually helps it a lot

WatchItExplode
May 2nd 2013

My local pub has a vinyl night and some dude brought this in. I was pleasantly surprised.

May 2nd 2013

formula driven or cohesive?

May 2nd 2013

both, i just was pointing out how this is much more standardized then other 70s album sputnik has labeled "progressive"

May 2nd 2013

oh right...you mean all the gratuitous changes in style and tempo that is taboo in 2013, but was acceptable in the 70s

rockandmetaljunkie

amazing band

May 2nd 2013

yeah pretty much. it worth noting this isnt a 5 song free for all ala Wish You Were Here

May 2nd 2013

the album's name and genre label might have some expecting otherwise

rev is truff, poz'd