Secede
Vega Libre

by Jake USER (31 Reviews)
April 29th, 2013 | 13 replies | 1,246 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Let me make one thing perfectly clear: Vega Libre does not have the same long-lasting effect as its predecessors. It’s difficult to say, but it’s true. For many people, this album might be somewhat of a letdown in comparison to both Tryshasla and Bye Bye Gridlock Traffic. Secede is an electronic artist that wraps his entire mindset around the idea of nostalgia and his songs give that feeling of escaping reality. On this though, he no longer succumbs to the rich serene ambient electronic beauty that Tryshasla and the sporadic and adventurous nature that Bye Bye Gridlock Traffic had to offer. Most of the songs on those albums would drone on and on in an ambient pool, constantly swirling and connecting in our psyche with an occasional song offering beats. However, what Vega Libre lacks in serene beauty and genre bending endeavors, it makes up for by being extremely psychedelic and a hell of a lot of fun. The long ambient interludes are gone and replaced with trippy beat driven electronic songs and walls of reverb.

The album starts off with the song “Vega Libre” and it has one of the greatest beats in electronic music that I’ve ever heard. It has a very Carribean vibe to it and every time it plays I just want to bounce around and eat candy in a bouncy castle. The best song in terms of quality, though, has got to be “Vega Libre: The Marvel.” Its dub and African influences mixed with very attractive and nostalgic synthesizers make this a party no hippie will want to forget. The rest of the album follows this same very psychedelic feeling with sounds that almost sound reminiscent of something Orbital or The Orb would explore. The songs “Vega Libre: Last Hours” and “Vega Libre: Tetsu Inoue Remix” are the only two that go back to this pure ambient feeling, but it’s fairly ephemeral and most of the album is dominated by beats whether they’re really all that noticeable or not – an example would be the undemanding beat in the song “Vega Libre: Sleeping World”.

The album is a blast to listen to. Every moment doesn’t feel wasted and Secede can almost do no wrong. The biggest complaint – as already stated – is the fact it is a Secede album and it probably won’t hold up as well against the genuine classics Tryshasla and Bye Bye Gridlock Traffic, but that shouldn't be a large reason to hold it against the album. It’s a new direction and on its own, it’s excellent and it would be a delight to hear this kind of sound on future albums as well.

Troum Tjukurrpa (Part One: Harmonies)Fennel Resuming the Trail

Vega Libre - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJuO53QJbHQ
Vega Libre: The Marvel - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgK_GquBR28
Vega Libre: Sleeping World - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tvnbi--F10

April 28th 2013

cool this now has a review. worst of his three, but still great stuff

April 28th 2013

Yeah I feel as if it should have been released by someone else because it's a fantastic album, but because it's a Secede album, it holds the burden that it won't live up to those two.

The first track's beat....DAT BEAT

April 28th 2013

first track is great, but it loses steam towards the end. i'm actually in the minority regarding favourite secede material. i'm one of those people who thinks tryshasla >>> bye bye.

btw you should prob omit extraneous stuff in your review like this: "It has a very Carribean vibe to it and every time it plays I just want to bounce around and eat candy in a bouncy castle." and maybe expand the review a little. i could probably say a lot about this myself

I'll do whatever I want

April 28th 2013

I would've made this a sound-off but I ended up saying more than a sound-off should so I just made a review.

April 28th 2013

all right, no need to be snappy. it's called constructive criticism, as a writer you should probably be used to it by now.

April 28th 2013

I know I could've expanded but I wrote this in about 20 minutes and it's not supposed to be a very in depth review as well, just my quick little thoughts about the album. If you want to write a long review for this, you should. It deserves it.

Pos'd

I can't ever think of a time I didn't enjoy something these guys within what I've obviously heard

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

StrangerofSorts
April 29th 2013

Now everyone go listen to When Can by Kettel & Secede because it's the best thing he's ever done.

StrangerofSorts

EXHIBIT A!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SneLTXPiZFc

scissorlocked
April 29th 2013

been wanting to check tryshasla for a long time but never did

Digging: Fantastic Mr Fox - Sketches