KiD CuDi
Indicud

1.5
very poor

by Seth Barry-Hinton USER (18 Reviews)
April 22nd, 2013 | 47 replies

Release Date: 04/23/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Aimless and self-absorbed. Any powers of Kid Cudi's are well hidden on Indicud.

Indicud has left me in a perplexing situation. I feel compelled to shut it down for being, sonically and thematically, the most shallow album of the year despite consisting of eighteen tracks, one of which is nine minutes in length. Perhaps it was telling that the album cover is essentially Michael Bay's childhood sketchbook framed by a mother that's just so proud of her boy, because the album itself is rife with immaturity and self-congratulatory pats on the back. But it’s so painfully insubstantial and of such poor quality that very little can be said about it without devolving into a rant.

For example, not much can be said on Kid Cudi’s repellent delivery. He seems tone-deaf on more than a few songs, most notably “Un***wittable” and “Mad Solar”. But when he’s actually in tune with the song, as in “Just What I Am” and “King Wizard”, he comes off as bored and robotic – as though, offended by the idea of sounding good, and determined to maintain a balance of mediocrity, he tried to barely sound invested. Cudi has cranked out some good hooks in the past, but if you gave Indicud to someone to demonstrate his aptitude for catchiness, they would not be convinced, as the hooks here are either unpleasant or uninteresting. His rapping leaves much to be desired – his voice and flow are unique in their own smoke-addled way, but he says nothing particularly memorable. The subject matter is mostly boasts, women, haters, and drugs, not shaking up any formulas or even adding cleverness to old concepts.

The features on Indicud, then, are saddled with the arduous task of carrying this wreck. Few of them manage. King Chip is more interesting than Cudi, but not mind-blowing; Kendrick Lamar appears on “Solo Dolo, Pt. II” with a verse that isn’t up to his usual standards, but serves to highlight Cudi’s deficiencies in the realm of lyrical dexterity; A$AP Rocky recycles an old flow for approximately half of his verse on “Brothers”; and the RZA demolishes “Beez” with what are certainly the best verses of the album, which include this gem: “I don’t write songs, grasshopper/I write sceneries”. Also appearing is pop group Haim, who provide a welcome break from Kid Cudi’s infuriatingly vocals but also happen to show up on a rather dull song, “Red Eye”, which flounders lyrically and musically. There’s a nine-minute, non-ironic Michael Bolton feature here as well, which is even more grating than an ironic Michael Bolton feature, and emphasizes the amount of self-awareness that Indicud lacks. Self-awareness is sorely missed throughout the album, especially on “Young Lady” and “Girls”, in which Cudi comes off less as the romantic he portrayed on his previous outings, and more as a stalker/Pokémon collector of women, respectively.

Aside from weak subject matter, it's a wonder that Kid Cudi chose this album to be his big production debut. The instrumental aspect of Indicud is amateur, not even close to fleshed out. Though they all employ different instruments, the beats still manage to blend into each other and clash horribly with the hedonistic subject matter. They're more fitting to drinking alone in a depression than getting pleasantly buzzed with friends. Many synths are shrill or aggravating; the uninspired guitar leads connote a rookie attempting to play like a veteran of the instrument; and the three instrumentals of the album, especially “New York City Rage Fest”, contribute nothing thematically or musically and instead serve as a few self-indulgent minutes of wankery. Cudi’s production consists of generic backing tracks and stock synths that any competent producer could have cranked out in a month or two. The weak production's a shame considering Cudi had access to some fine producers at G.O.O.D. Music, and certainly could have reached out of house to give rise to a halfway decent project.

But Indicud is a vanity project, reportedly intent on being a celebration of life, but instead being a celebration of Kid Cudi. Braggadocio in hip-hop is nothing new, but it remains tolerable as long as you’re congratulating yourself for something that’s actually good. This album fails in what it set out to do: be celebratory and ward off the lames and haters. Brief spurts of redeeming qualities appear in certain guests and hooks, and the beats themselves are not inherently bad – just flimsy. But no songs as a whole are good, and so Indicud fizzles out with the last bland instrumental.

Danny Brown OldElvis Costello Wise Up Ghost
King Krule 6 Feet Beneath the MoonEarl Sweatshirt Doris
Five Finger Death Punch The Wrong Side of Heaven and The Righteous Side...J. Cole Born Sinner
2.7
knottsknocks (3)
Experimental production and sluggish vocals might bore or alienate some, but the album is still an i...

Omaha
April 22nd 2013

Wow, someone's butthurt! Dem recommendations, man

fish.

22033 Comments

nah

Digging: Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

Piglet
April 22nd 2013

why do people even listen to this ahahahahahha

Hep Kat

pos

Omaha
April 22nd 2013

Yeah, this is a well-written review by the way =] Just surprised is all!

Funeralopolis
April 22nd 2013

he had to wait to for needledrop to approve his rating before he could post it

Digging: Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt

April 22nd 2013

idk, it's obvious that you can write well for the most part, but this seems kind of ranty and you make the same points at times.

JazzHands333
April 22nd 2013

Not a NeedleDrop fan here. Big Ghost's where it's at.

And Gyromania, that's fair. I tried to make sure I wasn't being repetitive, but I'm sure some slipped through the cracks. And this album exasperates me, so it makes sense that it got a bit ranty, but even so I think I got my points across.

Digging: Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

kingsoby1
April 22nd 2013

i dont know i really like this. probably not the popular/ cool opinion, but i feel like his production/ song writing is really hard for fans of conventional hiphop to get into. it's like the whole anticon debate that's gone around a million times.

April 22nd 2013

did Kid Cudi like rape you personally or something? Review is pretty good, but it comes across as waaaaaaay too butthurt.

anyway, I will listen to this eventually, I'm sure (my hip-hop friends will see to that) but I'm in no rush. I've never really understood the hype for this guy, and the comments he made about this album before release make me want to down-rate it just to be a bitch.

Digging: Taylor Swift - 1989

Hammrhead

This is righteous

This guy is awful
He hit the right chord for a lot of people when they were like 16 or whatever but come on

Digging: Bobby Barnett - Little Wounds

i'm (unsurprisingly) with sobhi on this one. guess that makes me a 16-year-old

Cygnatti
April 22nd 2013

"did Kid Cudi like rape you personally or something? Review is pretty good, but it comes across as
waaaaaaay too butthurt."

this.

all of my white friends at school are like in love with this guy. they also say that this album is
pretty good, but I could never get into his shtuff.

Digging: Autechre - Chiastic Slide

kingsoby1
April 22nd 2013

grouping hiphop into white and black is stupid. i know plenty of black people that like "white" hiphop and otherwise. if you cant appreciate both you're close minded.

JazzHands333
April 22nd 2013

Being heavily critical =/= butthurt. I really did not like this album, and so it stands to reason that I would not have kind words for it. Using light-handed language to support an aggravated critical opinion wouldn't mesh well.

chesse13
April 22nd 2013

i like this a lot actually. it really isn't THAT bad

Digging: -

heyadam
April 22nd 2013

Well written review, but I completely disagree.

pos anyways

Digging: Casey Crescenzo - Amour and Attrition

April 22nd 2013

"all of my white friends at school are like in love with this guy"

this means literally nothing. I hate when people classify hip-hop by the colour of their supposed fanbase.

April 22nd 2013

"Using light-handed language to support an aggravated critical opinion wouldn't mesh well."

that's a fair point, it's just that you sound so angry here, which I don't think is necessary to communicate your 1.5

I mean it's still a good review, like I said, and that was just a minor complaint really. I get where you're coming from, it just felt a little over-the-top, and kind of distracts from your writing.