Streetlight Manifesto
Somewhere in the Between

by andcas USER (5 Reviews)
April 21st, 2013 | 30 replies | 1,176 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

It's difficult to imagine the kind of impact that one band, let alone one album, could potentially have in just a few years.

Release in 2003 with a 4 year gap between the album that we find ourselves with here, Streetlight's Opus Everything Goes Numb took the Ska scene by storm. Tomas Kalnoky(aka Toh Kay), frontman and mastermind behind this band, already did his share of contributions and legends, creating another Third Wave Ska classic in Catch 22's Keasbey Nights, but I doubt anyone could've predicted that.

EGN elevated the scene into all new heights, being raved by long time fans of the genre, newer ones and even those that admit to not enjoy Ska in the least, all alike. However, with time, what seemed like a blessing from the Ska heavens (I know, I know), became something also akin to a course in the process of being placed in its mighty position. Why? Because, similar to what occured with albums such as Loveless with the shoegaze scene, EGN acted as a bit of a Too much carriage for the genre. Quickly, the album became the point of comparison for just about any Ska album, and more often than not, the result was easily given to EGN, and eventually, not many people really knew how to follow it up, shrinking what was already a small scene, and making the interest in it slowly fade. By extension, Streetlight became the very face of the scene, any band within the genre had to go through them before they could be big named and their material(Streetlight's) had to be, from now on, nothing but masterful.

So what do they do about it? They chill and sit back as they prepare the next effort, if done at a slower pace than one would want. Here's the beautiful thing about it all: Streetlight knows all of the previously mentioned, they know how important they are and how highly regarded EGN is. And the thing is: They don't care. Not in the sense that they have no respect for what they did or what their legacy means, but that they don't intend to keep living in the past. They know who they are, and they want to become bigger, more ambitious, and possibly better(though that's always up for debate).

This new philosophy of evolution isn't very apparent at first, but it soon becomes more and more obvious as you go. In Kalnoky's words, he fused the album with "Eastern European and Gypsy sounds" to give it a more "worldly influence", and this is probably more apparent than anywhere in the horn section, the heart of any ska band. The horns are even more technical here than before, and they sound more appealing than ever; Although, sadly, this is arguably done at the expense of some of the rest of the instruments, which feel a little subdued in both the mixing and the way they are used, but the band's fantastic chemistry and Kalnoky's insistence in making everyone shine in some way keep them from being just a support for the horns.

Speaking of Kalnoky wanting to make the band members stand out, one thing that should be mentioned is how changed the feel of the lyrics is. They are every bit as good as before, however, they no longer deal with as many sad/touchy personal subjects, and the way they are written are a little less narrative. Instead, Tomas chooses to lay them in an even more anthemic feeling than before, putting heavy emphasis in the friendship and unision of the band. That isn't to say that there are no topics that you can personally/emotionally relate to, they are there and some are pretty good, but for the most part the lyrics have a much more grand approach, in conjuction with the rest of the music. As for the themes that they do, for the most part, posess, a lot of the album is rooted as a critic to many of today society's bull***, and even some religion thrown in, the most obvious example being 'Down, Down, Down to Mephisto's Cafe' (Mephisto being short for Mephistopheles, which is basically the devil in German Folklore). The result is a somehow more uplifting and happy album than before, reducing the slow, sad sections you often found on EGN to a minimum and staying in an upbeat orchestra 95% of the time.

Going back to the instrumentation, the songwriting has also been improved. I mentioned in my previous review that Streetlight was a mixture of many influences and that this is best displayed here. I stand by the statement, the album being written with a perfect pacing, the songs flowing very nicely between them, and each one having the ability to stand out on their own, being by one displaying more energy or technicality than another. The usage of Tomas' guitar has been greatly toned down (Excluding the rare moments that the rest of the band remains silent), however this allow for a better, a bit more tasteful display of skill to both him when he's allowed to show it (Though he's not some guitar god and he doesn't pretend to be, don't get confused), and the rest of the band, namely the horns, the aspect that has received the most improvement (arguably), with them displaying some absolutely fantastic solos (Check 'We Will Fall Together') and catchy melodies.

This, along with the always excellent lyricism, make 'Somewhere In The Between' everything a good second part in a good musician's chapter should be: a logical step up from the areas that anyone knows can be stepped up, taking everything that they absolutely needed to make Streetlight, well, Streetlight, and leave what made their previous record special all alone, and instead attempting to give this a spot of its own by its own merits rather than a mere clone of what was done before. And, in this reviewers opinion, they did it quite nicely.

4.2

April 21st 2013

My attempt at condensing my writing without losing too much content

Still nowhere near perfect but I hope it's an improvement

DarkSideOfLucca
April 21st 2013

2003? Holy shit I remember vividly when that album first came out...

oltnabrick

toxin.

oh do these guys hae more than 1 albums? lol

DarkSideOfLucca
April 21st 2013

Woah, they're coming out with a 3rd one soon? I guess it has been forever, so good for them

April 21st 2013

awesome album, awesome review pos

FromDaHood

ugh don't call him Toh Kay unless you're reviewing his Toh Kay shit

Digging: Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt

April 21st 2013

^It's his nickname so I don't really see the problem, but alright, I won't refer to him like that in
other reviews

Thanks for the pos guys, although lol more random ghost negs, hmmm

April 21st 2013

gonna review Keasbey Nights?

OG or re-recording?

if it's original possibly, but I've heard both SM albums several times and that album only a couple, so I'll probably have to familiarize myself more with it

If it's rerelease then I don't think so, don't even have that album and don't really see the point either

April 21st 2013

OG, i might rip apart the re-recording sometime when i'm feeling angry. also to spread the truth.

definitely listen to the OG Keasbey more regardless, it's my favourite Kalnoky project for sure. also have you heard BOTAR?

April 21st 2013

I just downloaded that yesterday actually, though I haven't heard it but it's only 5 songs so might as well do it now

That's what I'm also considering reviewing

April 21st 2013

it's really really good man

new BOTAR 2014, praying

FromDaHood

"it's his nickname"

That's the point, unless the person is using a stage name, you just call them by their last name after they're first introduced. If I was reviewing Alexisonfire I wouldn't call Jordan Hastings "Ratbeard" the whole time but it's his nickname, ya feel me?

Yeah I get you

was checking the review to see any problems so I also replaced that with his last name or first name in some places.

DirEnRefused

1963 Comments

became something also akin to a course in the process of being placed in it's mighty
position

and instead attempting to give this a spot of it's own by it's own merits

*its.

Pos.

April 21st 2013

Thanks, just edited that.

someguest