Spraynard
Cut and Paste

by tom79 USER (76 Reviews)
April 19th, 2013 | 11 replies | 931 views

Review Summary: Short and to the point, Spraynard’s debut is an impressive pop-punk album that stands out in the genre

'Cut and Paste', Pennsylvanian trio Spraynard’s first album, is comprised of eleven immensely catchy pop-punk tunes, full of memorable hooks, interchanging vocals and anthemic lines in a similar vein of Latterman, Get Bent, Iron Chic etc. that will have you shouting along after a listen or two. The album also possesses an unpolished, somewhat carefree quality to it that they seemed to refine slightly for their follow up album, 2011’s 'Funtitled'. With a running length of just over twenty minutes 'Cut and Paste' flies by but fortunately with no time wasted and nothing remotely resembling filler. Each song is focused, melodious, hard-hitting, and for the most part more straight-forward with less variation that’s more evident on their follow up. While 'Funtitled' may be the more mature and arguably better offering, I still find myself coming back to this one more. With the exception of STR8TRPN which slows down the pace a notch and the album closer Damn, Julie. Damn which includes a brief semi-interlude as the words “As the lights go down, we think of all the fun we had” are sung in a calm, rising momentum, the album retains an up-tempo atmosphere throughout.

The Z Sealed it for Me is a standout track, with memorable lines like “One more night alone is the last thing that we need because everything else is way too temporary” and the climactic shouting of “Keep holding on to everyone that makes us happy”, it has the ability to send chills down ones spine if listened to in the right context. Album opener Sticking Together is What Good Waffles Do and Same Cat, Different Results show Spraynard in top form, both prime examples of the energetic passion shining through in a mere couple minutes.

Lyrically 'Cut and Paste' touches upon searching and self-realization, nostalgia, friendships, home towns, trying to live to the fullest and remaining positive and grateful about life despite the hardships. It’s really an uplifting affair despite the somewhat serious undertone and Spraynard pulls it off with conviction and authenticity, with the words coming out with a direct urgency that’s very admirable and affecting. With sincere lines like “We’ve got to make the dreams we have at night part of our daytime reality” and “With every sunset we’re even closer to the day we die, but with every sunset we are thankful that we’re still alive” Spraynard offers a refreshing, optimistic outlook on things.

'Cut and Paste' is a quick but impressionable listen that, while not necessarily breaking any new ground, is very well put together. Incredibly solid is another adjective that comes to mind. It’s too bad they recently called it quits as it seems they were just reaching their peak with 'Funtitled', but at least they made some great music while they were together. I think if the album had some sort of literal take home message it would be to cherish the good times, they won’t last forever and I think I’ll use that to end this here off.

The Broadways Broken StarPaul Baribeau Unbearable
Attack in Black The Curve Of The EarthBuilt to Spill The Normal Years
Ugly Casanova Sharpen Your TeethDavid Dondero The Transient

tom79
April 19th 2013

Been listening to this non-stop lately, thought I’d give it a shot and break the two year reviewing hiatus. This album is free on ifyoumakeit.com if anyone is interested.

Digging: Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again

April 19th 2013

huh I haven't heard this one

SadAndHolyGlow
April 19th 2013

Been meaning to check this out. Great review.

Digging: Sanctifica - Spirit of Purity

dimsim3478
April 20th 2013

Infuriating that these guys broke up.

Digging: My Psychoanalyst - Choreomania

June 24th 2014

if they broke up, then how are they on tour?

back together I guess

dimsim3478
June 24th 2014

^dude they've been back for months now

June 24th 2014

prolly gonna see them live even though ive never listened to them before

They rock

June 24th 2014

I wont be able to rock out to their set much cuz Ill be saving my energy to break everything around me during Joyce Manor ... or if JM goes on first I might not see Spraynard at all

tom79
June 24th 2014

Seeing them play at a local pub next week, cant wait. Became one of my favorite bands over the last
year and a bit.