Immolation
Failures for Gods

by Michael Snoxall USER (47 Reviews)
April 15th, 2013 | 64 replies | 2,189 views

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The intro to the coda that would little more than a year later become Close to a World Below...Failures for Gods is just Part One of Immolation’s magnum opus.

Between Dawn of Possession and Here in After, Immolation had laid out an image; an image of dense, unforgiving metal that tore fervent at the borders of experimentalism and the definition of a genre. The band’s third album, however, was the beginning of a two-sided coin that would once and for all complete Immolation’s image and define pure death metal. The ferocious blackness that sets the atmosphere before the reign of fire. The genesis of the engulfment of shadows in the flame. The eternal torture before the searing pain of perdition. At the coming of dawn, the darkness will fade and will hold way for crimson skies. You’re Failures for Gods. Fuel for the spark. Vigor for the inferno of animosity. For passion. Immolation. The intro to the coda that would little more than a year later become Close to a World Below...Failures for Gods is just Part One of Immolation’s magnum opus.

Flattening in its consequence, Failures for Gods rolls over the listener like a miasma of gloaming, murky filth culminated in its unrestricted flavour of atonal riffs that pierce the ears and the inharmonious cataclysm of apocalyptic, almost tribal drumming. The departure of former drummer Craig Smilowski had seemed a great loss, but the fury enrapt in his replacement Alex Hernandez couldn’t have been unsurprising. Hernandez sounds almost inhuman in his technique (one which wouldn’t fully be comprehended until Close to a World Below), his capabilities behind the kit sound as if there are two drummers at once, warring with the guitars to the rhythm of annihilation.

There is an ever-foreboding tense inclination of dread with each passing riff, each song builds and climaxes and it seems the potency of each new track cannot be re-met until the next track begins and only tyrannises more forcefully than the last. Robert Vigna’s defining technical guitar work scratching like nails at a chalkboard in its tone and distinctiveness. Dolan’s precise skill for unrelenting hooks brings the music to its boiling point as he tears his way through each composition.

“Can you hear us? Death to Jesus.
Can you hear us? Death to Jesus.
Can you hear us? Death to Jesus.”

It’s at this seemingly heightened peak of Immolation’s career that the band has not only created perhaps the most intense piece of work since its beginning, but it’s created the most coherent and stable release since its inception. With each song being a near classic that adds up to being one of the most solid albums one could hear within the genre, the epitome of shear bleakness in its atmospheres. The production stands as a lot grittier than previous albums, Here in After sounding distant and disjointed in its mastering, Dawn of Possession feeling a little too over the top in its mixing, Failures for Gods finds a neat middle ground, a well rounded juxtaposition of deep, resonating percussion and enunciated growling alongside the often jarring and dissonant axes.

As we near our final days, will we see beyond the dark?

It is in this that Immolation ushers in the final wave of the dark and makes way for the hellfire that would follow. Failures for Gods is just the beginning. Failures for Gods is punishing, pitch and brimming with the band’s most delectable palette of aural perversion yet. Failures for Gods is the storm before a larger storm.

Didn’t you say Jesus was coming?

Momentum HerbivoreImmolation Kingdom of Conspiracy
Beyond Creation The AuraIlluminati The Core
Satan Life SentenceAosoth IV: An Arrow in Heart
Dethtrasher (3)

April 15th 2013

about time I got this review done. I don't know just how I'll write my Close to a World Below review yet, but I want it to be something special.

Immo review #3

Gwyn.

2 minutes of posting

Digging: Buzzov-en - Sore

Killerhit
April 15th 2013

have no idea why but this review put me in a bad mood

sorry bro

April 15th 2013

dam bro you're getting hated on hard wtf

pos'd nig

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

Vakarian12

pos'd.

Killerhit
April 15th 2013

pos even though this was asinine and shitty and contemptuous and perverse and crappy and awful and miserably pathetic and worthy of reviled insults

Pestiferous

pos'd for support

thanks capt and vakarian

and killerhit, if you think it's a bad review, then neg it by all means. I don't want an undeserved pos.

absolutely dude

and sweet dig Pest!

Hyperion1001
April 15th 2013

that first paragraph hurts to read

Digging: Autechre - Draft 7.30

thanks bro

theacademy
April 15th 2013

you are a truly horrible writer

DrHouseSchuldiner

Sup skele

Hawks
April 15th 2013

Don't agree with the 5, but not a bad review at all.

Digging: Equilibrium - Erdentempel

Mewcopa0
April 15th 2013

I'm not gonna neg because it seems like you get the point, but you gotta be a lot more concise. Tons
of run on sentences (remember, one point per sentence), a lot of just...awkward wording. I've noticed
this in a lot of your reviews, and I'm sure you've heard it before. Reading is more important than
writing. Proof read ten times if you have to....more maybe.

AdolfChrist
April 15th 2013

the first paragraph is laughable.

Calc

11984 Comments

hyperbole and fluttery language abound in another episode of...

A Snoxall Review.

Digging: Kashiwa Daisuke - April. #02

Ire

very snoxall review gj

cool album

evilford
April 15th 2013

'7 of 16 thought this review was well written'

this makes no sense nice troll negging going on

pos'd good rev