Immolation
Close to a World Below

by necroscope86 USER (19 Reviews)
April 10th, 2013 | 32 replies

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An incredibly blasphemous rout of nothing more than death metal at its absolute finest

Immolation are a band whose technical prowess is only matched by their ability to create an intense and harrowing musical experience. They possess an immense level of musical depth that allows them to create what are widely considered to be masterpieces of the genre; masterpieces that have etched them their place in the death metal hall of fame. Of their extensive discography, several are thought to stand out the most, with "Here In After" and "Close To A World Below" frequently being cited as their finest works. Albums such as the latter of these are ones that showcase nothing more than the absolute best that the band could create.

"Close To A World Below" opens up with a mass of sounds that serve as an eerie build up before the first words of the album are spoken : "Didn't you say Jesus was coming?" From here on out it is nothing more than business as usual for Immolation as the album morphs into an ever flowing stream of nothing short of some of the finest death metal music out there. Quick frenzies of power chords mixed densely into a seemingly never ending flow of lightning fast, immensely creative beats are the main course of Immolation's 2000 offering. This is also an album with a lot of variety to it that keeps every song feeling fresh and interesting. Whilst tracks such as "Higher Coward" and "Furthest From The Truth" primarily remain in the region of moving at a million miles per hour, the band does not shy away from slowing down a little, which reaches its pinnacle on the monstrous closing track. This song is the eight minute title track to the album and it makes great use of many creepy sounding slower sections such as the introduction, where the cymbals are left to ring out whilst Robert Vigna and Tom Wilkinson play some high pitched tremolo picked lines. The effect that this has is overwhelming: think of the most atmospheric piece of death metal you can, and then cast that aside.

One thing that Immolation did even better than ever before on "Close To A World Below" is the evolution of their songs. Whilst they are rightfully recognized as being fantastic, tracks such as "Nailed To Gold" were slightly predictable to say the least, but that is not the case on here. Instead, the changes in speed come out of nowhere and hit you right where it hurts. The guitars meander around, constantly evolving and changing riff to create one of the most interesting slabs of death metal you are likely to hear. "Lost Passion" is a fantastic example of how the band has grown, shifting tempo constantly and frequently adjusting the nature of the guitar work to include pinched harmonics, tremolo picking and power chords in ways that even Cryptopsy could not dream of. The drumming on this song is also some of the best on this release. It includes a lot of double bass work and also a quite ridiculous section at around three minutes and twenty sections showing off the improved level of technicality on here. The vocals are as demonic as ever before; Ross Dolan sounds like an absolute monster on here. His voice is one of the most sinister and malevolent in all of death metal and he is arguably at his pinnacle on "Close To A World Below".

This is an album where there really are no flaws to speak of. Usually there is at least one niggle that slightly degrades an album but on this release there is nothing of the sort. Every song flows into the next one brilliantly and each captures the band members in their elements, with some intense riffing, fast drum work, monstrous vocals and cool bass lines, all of which is captured by a crisp production job. I recommend this to absolutely everyone who enjoys an immensely varied display of death metal done properly.

Death Scream Bloody GoreDarkthrone Transilvanian Hunger
Nas IllmaticMegadeth Endgame
Death SymbolicImmolation Dawn of Possession
4.4
Andy H. B. (5)
Immolation creates a violent, swirling tornado of petrifying vocals and maniacal instrumentals that ...

Nate B. (5)
Dark, twisted, crushing…this is what it’s all about....

April 10th 2013

I'm taking a long break from the Pink Floyd discography for now because It's such a long discography, so I'm just going to be doing an assortment of reviews for a bit. I'll probably pick the Floyd discography back up in May

Pos'd,best Immo Album,so memorable release

April 10th 2013

Another Schuldiner alt? This is really getting quite stupid, matey.

But thanks for the pos

TheSpirit
April 10th 2013

I like Dawn of Possesion more but this is probably my second favorite Immo.

Digging: Beach Pneumatic - Beach Pneumatic

April 10th 2013

This alt is special one prob my fav alt,ever

April 10th 2013

TheSpirit I think this is probably my favorite Immolation, but "Dawn Of Possession" is great.

Schuldiner- Facepalm.

Hyperion1001

19580 Comments

here in after >

Digging: Mother Mallard's Portable Masterpiece Co. - Like a Duck to Water

Insurrection
April 10th 2013

lost passion is my jam. great shit

Digging: Faith No More - Sol Invictus

Motiv3

Father, You're not a father >>>

Good review.

Pestiferous

here in after > [2]

FrozenVain
April 10th 2013

Such a fucking good album. Great job with the review, pos'd

The intro on Unpardonable Sin is so damn epic and Father your're not a father is probably one of my favorite death metal songs ever.

FAAAAAAAAAAAATHER WHY?!?

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATHER WHY?!?

April 10th 2013

good review, some repetitive grammar and phrasing but nothing major

top 3 dm all time

Digging: Znowhite - Act Of God

mindleviticus
April 10th 2013

Furthest from the Truth brings the tvth

yeah dat outro

Majesty and Decay>

lol

Wizard

19838 Comments

I love that you always speak the truth Wiz, def your best quality that I know of.

It's not truth, I'm just always honest with myself and I know what I like. It's a quality I also see in you too that is certainly reflected in your music ; ). People on the net need to understand that making up their own minds is the only freedom we really have left on this earth, no matter who "LOL's".