Ghost B.C.
Infestissumam

by SitarHero USER (33 Reviews)
April 9th, 2013 | 289 replies

Release Date: 04/09/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The nostalgia trip...to HELL!

The problem with gimmicks is that they have a shelf life. Just ask any of the retro-rock darlings of the class of ’03. The Darkness, Wolfmother and Jet all burst onto the scene by resurrecting the '60s and '70s, both in sound and image, and shot to the top of the charts before falling into obscurity once the nostalgia faded. Fast-forward a decade and you’ll find Ghost B.C. (just Ghost to the non-Americans) taking more or less the same trip, but with a twist; they “worship” Beelzebub, you see.

Infestissumam is filled with all kinds of over-the-top '70s-metal goodness; baroque bel canto chorales, sunny harmonies, noodly Blackmore-esque guitar leads, and the all-important ever-present Moog synthesizer. The music is ripped right out of the Deep Purple playbook, but accompanied by an affinity for amusingly grotesque satanic imagery in the lyrics, artwork and stage accouterment of the band. The identity of the band members remains as closely guarded as ever, but in this post-Black Metal day and age the gimmick serves more as parody of the tropes of “Satanic Heavy Metal” than full-blown identification with the archetype.

Recording a retro record, even with the Satanic twist, is as limiting as it is refreshing. The '70s inevitably became the '80s and music moved in different directions. Ghost is therefore inherently limited in what they can accomplish through Infestissumam. However, gimmick aside, the band delivers a solid album that is chock-full of catchy vocal, guitar and keyboard melodies threaded through proto-prog-rock song structures.

The one '70s trope that is subverted is the instrumental noodling, which, while present, is never excessive. The epic Ghuleh is the longest song on the record at 7 and a half minutes, while most of the other songs are between 4 and 6 minutes long, despite having several instrumental solos. This conciseness in composition makes the album pass faster than one realizes and is quite refreshing for an album of this sort. The album has no real barn-burners in terms of tempo with the possible exception of the Per Aspera part 2 which is the most “metallic” song on the album. Most of the songs, such as Jigolo Har Megdido, Idolatrine, Body in Blood, Depths of Satan’s Eyes and Monstrance Clock are built around guitar-and-drum stomps, while Secular Haze is built around a dancing carnival organ piece.

The absolute high-point of the album is without a doubt Year Zero which combines all of the band’s best attributes in the perfect ratios, right from the choir-interjections to the harmonized verses that build perfectly to the soaring chorus. Elsewhere on the album there are moments of brilliance such as the ebb and flow on Ghuleh , the terrifically demented combination of cheery vocals and black-and-white horror movie organ melody on the amusingly titled Idolatrine, and the guitar and keyboard contra-punctuation on the intro of Depths of Satan’s Eyes. The strongest card the band plays is their talent for writing tunes that evoke their idols while moving just unpredictably enough to be unique. However, occasionally the band settles too much for idolatry and the sounds like a Blue-Oyster Cult reunion.

Ultimately, the album, despite its prima facie heavy subject matter, is a bit of light-hearted disposable fun. It’s hard to tell how long the band’s gimmick will remain novel and it’s unlikely that they can continue to hold their audience’s interest with their Lucifer-worshipping brand of '70s rock. But, while the novelty lasts, this nostalgia trip is certainly a fun ride.

Highlights:

Well this was fun!

Album stream: http://pitchfork.com/advance/67-infestissumam/

Calc
April 9th 2013

this is ok. I should listen to it again i guess.

April 9th 2013

Yeah it's not AOTY material I don't think, but Year Zero kicks ass and the rest of the album is fairly entertaining.

greg84

Good review. Pos'd.

The album's quite good, if not spectacular.

April 9th 2013

"The album's quite good, if not spectacular."

My thoughts exactly. I was floored when I heard Year Zero and a slightly disappointed by the rest of the album. But it's still pretty entertaining.

And it Satan's just the right amount for me.

April 9th 2013

Satan is nothing if not theatrical. The youtube comment pages have some hilarious discussions on whether the band is Black Metal or not.

April 9th 2013

Fire and brimstone isn't theatrical?

MeatSalad

band is silly

Digging: Hey Rosetta! - Into Your Lungs (And Around in Your Heart and on

April 9th 2013

Chill man. I didn't mean to offend your spiritual sensibilities. It was a flippant comment that has nothing to do with "true" Satanism. The fact remains that the common perception of the Judeo-Christian version of Satan is that he's a pretty flamboyant character.

Voivod
April 9th 2013

Excellent review, pos and thanks for the album stream.

Review should be featured at some point.

Digging: Madred - Supersonic Brainfuck Overdrive

YankeeDudel
April 9th 2013

these guys put on a good live show. they're fun and catchy 70s worship. nothing great but they have a niche.

Digging: Land Of Kush - Against The Day

April 9th 2013

"sorry didnt realize i had to be in a fluster to argue in favor of a belief system that i personally do not follow?"

Nah man, it's just hard to tell how serious someone is in a comments section.

"This should be featured at some point."

W00t!

razedtotheground
April 9th 2013

Really digging Monstrance Clock but this has some pretty poor tracks too

zxlkho
April 9th 2013

This band is black metal!!!!!!!!!!!1111 They sing about Satan!11!!!1!!!!

tempest--
April 9th 2013

Pos'd, can't wait to check this out.

oltnabrick

aoty

MichaelSnoxall
April 9th 2013

I found the first album kinda boring, I don't get why people love the band so much. I mean I've heard reasons like, "becuz they sound so happy and chilled but da lyrics are about satan!1!!!1!!!" and it's like yeah, but the music is still boring. The Satanism gimmick doesn't change that.

I might check this one out to see if I like it anymore.

P.S. Lloyd, that avatar is enchanting.

conesmoke
April 9th 2013

i've really really liked all 3 songs they pre-released. Will most certainly buy this cd. m/

tempest--
April 9th 2013

What I love about them is that they have fucking sweet melodies, but it's still heavy and rockin'

a little thing I like to call 'doom pop'

MichaelSnoxall
April 9th 2013

I think it's just regular heavy metal