The Angels of Light
New Mother

by Grayson Hale USER (30 Reviews)
April 7th, 2013 | 8 replies | 1,268 views

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The New Mother has awakened.

There is no light in this world of darkness. The cities, once a surplus of activity and motion, now lie still in the wake of the all-consuming emptiness. Here there is no god, there is no government, and there are no survivors. The wasteland is littered with the bloodied trophies of mankind’s arrogance; ashes of towering skyscrapers and twisted remnants of the most advanced vehicles are all that remain of man’s former glory. Desolation. There is silence... nothing moves.

Years pass. Black waves wash over the wreckage; their steady rhythm is the only timekeeper. The cold has engulfed the landscape and Mother Nature is long dead. Life is a lost memory, a forgotten dream. Time stops. The earth becomes formless, a void in space... a black hole. Everything is sucked back into the cosmic abyss from whence it came...

Then there is nothing.

A new day has begun; today the soil gives back to its mother. The glare of a dying sun illuminates the earth and darkness is forced to lurk underground once more. The winter has ended. Vegetation sprouts up from the ground until foliage covers every square inch. Rivers tear through the terrain, feeding the soil around them. Everywhere there is life - the death of man.

And then She speaks. “I am your new mother,” she says, “beginning.”

The New Mother has awakened.

The Lost Poets InsubordiaGodhead The Shadow Realigned
Gumshen ProgtronicaMonks of Mellonwah Turn the People
Sound Strider Intrepid Travels EPMarla Mase Speak Deluxe

April 7th 2013

Okay, I realise that this isn't really a review but I wanted to post it because it pretty much sums up
what the album sounds like - half post-apocalyptic, half folky, natural-sounding. Based on the songs
"New Mother" and "Angels of Light"

Edit: ...and the album art. I love that album cover

MichaelSnoxall
April 7th 2013

nice to see this project getting more attention recently

April 7th 2013

I've been promoting them a lot recently. It's a pity that they never released anything truly brilliant, but I think if they'd cut both this and How I Loved You in half I'd have 5'd them both by now.

April 7th 2013

another good review for a good band.

hey poodle you ever listen to Jay Munly or Woven Hand? Pretty similar to this and I think a good deal better. Check em out Jay Munly in particular could use a review ;).

Digging: DJ Spooky - Songs Of A Dead Dreamer

April 7th 2013

Thanks Yankee! Haven't listened to either of them but I've been digging this whole Gothic Country vibe so will definitely do so. Thanks for the rec man

April 7th 2013

Oh yea I love it too. Didnt think Id like anything country related until I heard that stuff. Also check 16 Horsepower if you havent as they're prob the most popular one in that scene (lead singer went on to form Woven Hand). Jay Munly has opened for Neurosis and Woven Hand has opened for Tool, so they def appeal to metal fans.

April 7th 2013

Dude likewise, I've always hated country music but this has made me see that there's an entire other side to it. You've sold me now so will give them a listen later!

April 8th 2013