Deathrow
Raging Steel

by Aaron Arneson CONTRIBUTOR (105 Reviews)
April 6th, 2013 | 66 replies | 1,783 views

Release Date: 1987 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Witches and warlocks and dragon’s blood...

If you enjoy thrash metal and haven’t had the pleasure of hearing Germany’s Deathrow, you’re doing yourself quite the disservice. During their time as a band they released four solid albums, including the highly acclaimed and technically innovative Deception Ignored in 1988. However, it was just one short year earlier they released one of their most overlooked and downright enjoyable albums, Raging Steel. It may not be as technically groundbreaking as Deception Ignored, but the album’s mythical themes and lightning speed riffs make it a release worth seeking out.

Fueled by an aggressive and distinct vocal performance, Raging Steel is sure to please any fan of Teutonic thrash. My only complaint with the vocalist is he doesn’t have a whole lot of range on this album, but his voice fits the genre perfectly and every once in a while he lets out a terrifying screech. However, it’s the album’s fantasy themed lyrics that make it a rewarding listening experience . How can anybody not enjoy a song packed with solos and lyrics about warlocks and dragons? I’m of course referring to ‘Dragon’s Blood’. It’s an entire song dedicated to mythical creatures and the memorable lyrics make it one of the standouts on Raging Steel. As captivating as the song is however, it’s the unexpected and slightly eerie clean vocals that create the perfect atmosphere to bring the song’s dragons to life.

Thankfully, ‘Dragon’s Blood' isn’t the only gem to be found here as the title track is easily the most relentless offering on the album. After an atompsheric instrumental opening the riffs come storming out of the gates on 'Raging Steel.' Once we hear an angry shriek the song kicks into full force with perhaps the most furious drumming on the album. Although not quite as technical as Deception Ignored, the level of skill in the guitar playing and drumming is rather impressive. Other songs such as the fast-paced ‘Mortal Dread’ and ‘Beyond The Light’ contain some flashy guitar work, but unfortunately some of the songs sound a bit too similar.

At the end of the day, Raging Steel isn’t a technical masterpiece or even a groundbreaking thrash album by any means, but it’s a damn good time. The musicianship is top-notch and the vocalist manages to stand out from the pack, if only slightly. The only real issue with the album is repetitiveness but it’s not enough to take away from the experience. Even if it’s just to check out the mythical ‘Dragon’s Blood’ or the epic ‘Raging Steel’, this album is definitely worth your time. It stands tall and proud as one of the most memorable and impressive releases in Deathrow’s career.

Somos Temple of PlentyFireworks Oh, Common Life
A Slow Descent On GanymedeThe Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is There
Agalloch The WhiteThe Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Deception Ignored

April 6th 2013

great album. as always open to any feedback on how i can better my writing.

Digging: Somos - Temple of Plenty

Voivod
April 6th 2013

Well written review, pos.

This album is a definitive improvement with respect to the debut.

Digging: Mekong Delta - In A Mirror Darkly

SgtPepper
April 6th 2013

I have to be honest, I've never heard of these guys. They sound great though, going to look them up now.

ViperAces

^^^
check out deception ignored
good review atari

manosg
April 6th 2013

This is some great stuff, good choice for review Atari. pos.

Also, judging from your taste, I strongly suggest you check my dig.

Digging: Jan Akkerman - Tabernakel

SgtPepper

@Viper
Just found that album streaming on youtube. It sounds great so far. Thanks.

tempest--
April 6th 2013

Pos'd, gotta check this out hardcore.

TheNotrap
April 6th 2013

Nice review, have a pos.
Album's good.

Calc
April 6th 2013

I have raging steel reading after this.

illmitch

sounds elite

heil

evilford

19994 Comments

"Thankfully, ‘Dragon’s Breath’(...)"

thought you said the track was called "Dragon's Blood", unless I missed something?

anyway, nice review. pos'd. will listen to these guys when I get a chance.

Geadom

Great review bro, pos.

April 6th 2013

Thanks everyone for the compliments/pos's

@ford, ah yes silly me ...fixed

@calc, LOL

CaptainHadouken

1960 Comments

YESSSSS :D autopos'd

April 6th 2013

haha Pos'd bro. U were just talking about this the other day. It was just eating you up inside. I don't blame ya, album is swee. Good goin

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

Thanks captain 1 and captain 2 lol

April 6th 2013

oh don't mind him, he's in training ;]

April 6th 2013

Well yea you're captain number 1 cause u came first ;)

April 6th 2013

well actually I think I've seen several older inactive users who had captain in their names - humble response

YOU'RE DAM RIGHT IM THE ONE AND ONLY TRUE CAPTAIN SON, AND DON'T GET IT TWISTED NIGGA - prideful vegeta-like response

Geadom