DIR EN GREY
The Unraveling

by JizzInMyPants USER (5 Reviews)
April 3rd, 2013 | 40 replies | 6,848 views

Release Date: 04/03/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: While Dir En Grey ultimately didn’t change up their sound, they refined it, making it seem familiar, yet fresh.

Ever since the release of Dir En Grey’s Wither to Death(WTD) in 2005, there has been a great divide between the fanbase of Dir En Grey. One spectrum of the fanbase begs for the classic Visual Kei Experimentation of their pre-WTD material while the other praise them for their current offering of atmospheric avant-garde metal. Dir En grey attempts to bridge the two fanbases together for years by offering new remakes of their classic songs, which turns out to be nothing like their original counterparts most of the time, angering the classic fanbase even more. Ever since their last album, Dum Spiro Spero(DSS), Dir En Grey promised an even greater change of style for their upcoming releases. When fans got news of a new EP containing seven remakes, this news piqued the interests of both fanbases. Some of these tracks were fan favorites of their pre-WTD material mixed in with some of their more obscure tracks so expectations were high.

A plague with past Dir En Grey albums for me was that it was all over the place. One song could be aggressive; almost Death metal like while the next track makes an abrupt transition into an acoustic ballad. DSS mostly fixed that but sacrificed a lot of their experimentation and variety for tracks that the average modern metalhead heard 100 times before. This has been mostly fixed on this release. What we get is a more stripped down and focused Dir En Grey. Gone for the most part are the sudden abrupt changes in tempo. Due to the fact that most of the original of this EP are from their J-rock past, you can clearly hear a more straightforward hard rock influence that has been mostly absent since Marrow of the Bone. I would even go as far to say that this release is Dir En Grey settling down and getting comfortable, because it sounds more mature than any of their other releases. They aren’t trying to push boundaries on this release.

Don’t let the label “EP” fool you, if you get every track this EP offers, it has more than an hour worth of material. With the bonus track being the remake of Macabre, modernized and extended to 16 minute track which will keep any Between the Buried and Me or Agalloch fan extremely happy . Besides Macabre, the only tracks that stick closely to the originals are The Final and Kasumi. The unplugged version of The Final is essentially a Disney song which makes it the black(white?) sheep of the album. This release can be said to be targeted towards the newer fans because the remakes does have some modern Dir En Grey touches here and there. While Dir En Grey ultimately didn’t change up their sound, they refined it, making it seem familiar, yet fresh. It would not surprise me at all if one were to claim this as their favorite Dir En Grey release.

Adam Amanse (4)
Unraveling in order to move forward....

KMHouldey (4.5)
A pleasing compromise between the old and the new...

DirEnRefused
April 3rd 2013

Band sucks because it led me to a terrible username four years ago.

Downloading this now.

DirEnRefused
April 3rd 2013

Band sucks because it led me to a terrible username four years ago.

Downloading this now.

demigod!

hate this band

Digging: Black Flag - My War

sixdegrees
April 3rd 2013

sweet, need to check this

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

will check

DrGonzo1937
April 3rd 2013

Don't really agree with a lot said here, but meh, that's what opinions are for, eh? lol

I was really blown away by this: I really think this is the middle ground for both sides. Kyo's vocals a fairly clean in most of the tracks, but musically it has a lot more depth. The guitars are bloody fantastic in all the tracks. Macabre was a defininte stand-out track.

Have a pos.

sweet review bro, pos'd

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

Evreaia
April 3rd 2013

i liked this bands latest 2 offerings, gonna check now.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

EvoHavok
April 3rd 2013

I enjoyed their last two a lot. Must check this out.

Digging: Ningen-Isu - Burai Houjou

CaptainHadouken

1960 Comments

Need to check this out after writing stuff gets done, nice review, pos'd

April 3rd 2013

Really stoked to check this out

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

NocteDominum

Such a boring album.

Xenophanes
April 3rd 2013

This as bad as the last one?

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

April 3rd 2013

That acoustic version of The Final is so good! That in and of itself is worth the listen for sure. I really dig these guys still.

NocteDominum
April 3rd 2013

@Xeno, slight improvement - nothing worth mentioning though.

JizzInMyPants
April 3rd 2013

nah this isn't going to change your opinion of the band

Dummit

still love this band.

April 3rd 2013

I thought the title track was a lot better than a lot of the stuff on DSS. Still dunno what I'm gonna rate this, though.

foxblood
April 3rd 2013

oh man this is already out, will get

FearThyEvil
April 3rd 2013

Fuck! I forgot all about this. Definitely checking it out this weekend.