2 Chainz
Based on a T.R.U. Story

by knottsknocks USER (12 Reviews)
April 2nd, 2013 | 63 replies | 5,596 views

Review Summary: An insanely hysterical release that fully takes advantage of the considerable talents of 2 Chainz.

One of my favorite comic personalities is Sacha Baron Cohen. If you are unfamiliar with his work, he is the genius behind such characters as Ali G, Borat and Bruno. He dresses up in the costume, interviews real people, and films their reactions. Every minute of watching his films or television shows is immensely entertaining, and not entirely because of the hilarious idiocy shown by the characters. It has more to do with the reactions of the people who can believe that Ali Gs, Borats and Brunos exist in modern society. 2 Chainz is the Sacha Baron Cohen of rap music. He's got the ridiculous costume and gimmick: obviously, he's decked out with at least two chains on a regular basis. He's got the same effect on real people, most average people have felt they are intellectually better than 2 Chainz, especially because of his famous hit "Birthday Song." It puzzles me how few people can accept the tongue in cheek humor of the chorus and lyrics. "She got a big booty, so I call her big booty" should have been a hint lacking any subtlety that this is a man nobody should take at face value, but apparently some aren't getting the message. And that's where most of the entertainment from being a 2 Chainz fan is taken from: aside from the idiotically hilarious punchlines and the over-the-top production; watching jaws drop when you half-jokingly remark 2 Chainz is the best rapper of all time is most of the fun. 2 Chainz isn't the best rapper of all time, but any fan of hip-hop; young or old, should have respect for his hilarious persona and immense charisma.

2 Chainz isn't noted as one of the greatest lyricists of all time, or noted for having an incredible flow by most mainstream rap critics. They're wrong. We are talking about a man who has basically revolutionized the modern rap game, by making a caricature out of it. Lyricism has all but devolved into braggiodocio, and name-dropping brands most of your fans haven't even heard of. But 2 Chainz doesn't brag like Jay-Z or Kanye: he simply tells it like it is. It's a tone basically lost in the world of hip-hop. He isn't saying he has more cars or clothes than you. He just enjoys what he has more than everybody else, which is a far more admirable statement. He's also an incredibly funny and incisive lyricist. Allow me to provide some incredibly stimulating and hilarious excerpts from the album. "And all I get is cheese, like I'm taking pictures." "You in first place, you in first place, bad bitch contest, you in first place." "Me and my niggaz pass yo ho like a hot potato." It's clear to me that not only is 2 Chainz a lyrical genius, but he's mastered the art of dumb lyrics. If you want a perfect comedy album, pop this into your CD player in your whip and I guarantee you'll be laughing out loud at least one time per track. 2 Chainz went to the University of Alabama and graduated second in his class, but what you don't know is that he majored in Lyricology.

The production on this album is incredibly solid. None of the beats or rhythms on the tracks are in any way dull or uninteresting. They all suit 2 Chainz' unique voice and flow, and they handle their guests well. "I'm Different" can be a bit simplistic, and might be too barebones, but that would be the only complaint from an otherwise stellar set of tracks when it comes to beats. "Yuck!" despite the title, is actually quite epic in terms of presentation, but not overbearing so you can still listen to 2 Chainz's flows and lyrics and it doesn't get in the way. "Dope Peddler" has an interesting old-tymey sample which gives the track a friendly, homey feel. It also helps 2 Chainz feel more comfortable and relaxed than he already does. "No Lie" is suitably catchy, and "Birthday Song" mixes epic, catchy and danceable to create the ultimate humorous club anthem. "I Luv Dem Strippers" makes full use of its hard-hitting beat, surrounding Nikki Minaj's vocals with a bit of subtle tweaking of the instrumental, making her guest spot seem like its coming from another planet. Or maybe it is, because I'm not entirely certain if what she's speaking is English at this point. "Ghetto Dreams" is an optimistic and heart-warming track, yet doesn't strip the album of its satirical/fun tone and quality. For the most part, this album's production is solid to a tee.

To conclude, 2 Chainz delivers on his promise of hysterical lyrics, catchy over-the-top production and an insanely charismatic persona. It's a high-powered, infectuous enthusiasm and personality that makes this record worth listening to. If you have friends over, or just want to have a laugh and enjoy yourself, purchase Based on a T.R.U. Story. But most importantly, if you want to have a fun time picking out "stupid" lyrics that are going to be used as ammunition by 2 Chainz's haters, you're going to have a fun time. To all of those who claim that 2 Chainz is stupid, or that he's not good at maintaining a track because he has no talent, I simply have one statement for you, directly from the man himself.

"She got a big booty, so I call her big booty."

2 Chainz represents the thematic struggle of a man trying to educate the public about names for women with large posteriors. You're doing god's work, Mister Chainz.

Daft Punk Random Access MemoriesTyga Hotel California
KiD CuDi IndicudTyler the Creator Wolf
Yelawolf Trunk Muzic ReturnsLil Wayne I Am Not a Human Being II
2.4

Calc

12036 Comments

didn't read, but your summary sounds like the release is using 2 chainz. You know, instead of 2 chainz making this release

Digging: Kashiwa Daisuke - April. #02

April 2nd 2013

Someone finally reviewed this masterpiece lol

Digging: Miyuki - Fellow Citizen

Hep Kat
April 2nd 2013

eh this is a bad album. I do enjoy him to some capacity as a featured artist, but I don't really like any releases of his I've hears

Digging: Sir Michael Rocks - Banco

kingsoby1
April 2nd 2013

im different ya im different

NapalmCrusader
April 2nd 2013

Not a bad review, but I disagree with you. For me the music of this guy usually is horrendus.

Ceilin missin

inb4 I luv badd bitches

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

thecreative0ne
April 2nd 2013

I'll have to review this, there's no way that this was a 4.5/5, I heard it myself, and it's garbage, 2 Chainz is literally the worst rapper ever.

auberginedreams
April 2nd 2013

album is shit, rating is legitimately lolworthy.

auberginedreams
April 2nd 2013

"It's clear to me that not only is 2 Chainz a lyrical genius, but he's mastered the art of dumb
lyrics."

i really think you're overestimating this guy's self-awareness. he most likely writes lyrics like this
because he's catering to idiots/is an idiot.

April 2nd 2013

All I want for my birthday is a big booty Hoe

Digging: 68 - In Humor and Sadness

kingsoby1

this is probably a 3 for me, no idea. @mmx best song lol

shadowscape
April 2nd 2013

2 Chainz re-invention of himself with catchy beats and powerful delivery make this album appealing to listen to, however his predictable flow and cliche subject matter (drugs and sex) make me want to shorten my stay.

I would rate Based on a T.R.U. Story 3/5. It's a decent release, but by no means a remarkable or memorable one.

YAMS EVERYWHERE

illmitch

nice review, cant seem to get into 2 chainz

Birthday Song and his verse on Bandz A Make Her Dance are stupidly genius though

April 2nd 2013

I need to get an instrumental version of this, all the beats are straight up bangers

April 2nd 2013

K but do you guys sell condoms

☆☆☆☆☆
of course they do, just click the link ;]

bbdmittenz
April 3rd 2013

4.5 quality rapping though?

illmitch