Flotsam and Jetsam
When the Storm Comes Down

by satanwitchfinder USER (5 Reviews)
April 2nd, 2013 | 9 replies

Release Date: 1990 | Tracklist

Review Summary: When the storm came down on Flotsam and Jetsam

Here we have an album that is very average at best, has only a few good tracks, and is an endurance test to listen to. I knew it wasn't possible for them to top No Place For Disgrace, but this is ridiculous. They didn't even bother making the album consistent or interesting as a whole. The album sounds just like your average generic modern day thrash album, meaning it has very little to offer. And also the band sounds uninspired and out of ideas.

The album sounds like your average F and J album, but except it's not fun, exciting and fresh. Comparing this to the exciting and fresh works of old makes this album sound even worse than it otherwise would. They do experiment a bit with new song structures and tempos, but it falls flat on it's face 5 seconds after they start. In general, it's just very boring and substance less and after you're done listening to it, you're just be thankful that it's over. You won't be humming along to any of this after you listen to it, that's for sure.

The music can be described as similar to In Justice For All era Metallica, and late 80's D.R.I. In other words, it sounds like mostly mid tempo and proggy thrash metal. But don't worry, there are fast tempo parts of songs too and the songs also have a healthy mixture of tempo changes. The end song KAB is quite a shocker, it sounds like one of Nuclear Assault's short songs like Hang the Pope or My America. The album has very 80's production quality and a very serious atmosphere.

This is just the beginning of the decline of F and J. After this they would go in a more commercial direction as well as a more "pantera-ish" direction. Overall, it's not terrible, it's just painfully average and bland about 70% of the time and you will not remember the album after you listen to it. If you're new to F and J, do not start here.

This is my first review, hope you liked it.

Recommended tracks:

The Master Sleeps
Suffer The Masses
EMTEK

satanwitchfinder
April 1st 2013

This is my first review, so feel free to criticize it

NeoSpaz
April 1st 2013

you need more, but it's a good start.

cool username

Brostep
April 1st 2013

Hey man, welcome to Sputnik. Decent first review, so I'll give some general comments. First of all, the review is very short, which wouldn't be so bad except you basically say one thing for the entire review (that is to say, "This is generic and blah. I can't believe how generic and blah this is. It's so generic and boring.") It doesn't really tell me how the album sounds, you know? I mean, from this I can deduce that it sounds like Flotsam and Jetsam and that it's thrash, but I don't know how the thing actually sounds (especially since I have no idea how Flotsam and Jetsam sound). That's where your review is flawed the most in my opinion - it's a bit redundant and undescriptive. Other than that, though, your writing is solid for the most part (though it gets choppy and wonky every so often - you might want to look at the last sentence of Paragraph 1 and the first of Paragraph 2). Have a pos, assuming you'll do some work and make your next review better. I know you can do it, you just have to know what a good review sounds like first (took me a while to write well too haha). Read up on some staff/contrib reviews to get a sense, and then try again - I'll be waiting, you show some promise here.

Willie
April 1st 2013

This is a fun and experimental Flotsam album. It was the previous two that were generic (but really good).

Digging: Necropoli - I

NeoSpaz
April 1st 2013

Woah Willie commented on your first review. You'll have good karma now if you fix up the little issues with this review

satanwitchfinder

How do I edit my review

Voivod
April 2nd 2013

It was the previous two that were generic (but really good).

Agreed.

This is the album where things started to become more interesting for the band.

Digging: Disasterhate - Sacrifice To Eclipse

didnt willie 5 this

Willie
January 19th 2014

If it had a better production, I'd at least '4' this. I doubt they'll ever re-record this one like they did the last one, though.