Essence (DNK)
Last Night of Solace

by Andrew Gold CONTRIBUTOR (65 Reviews)
March 30th, 2013 | 26 replies

Release Date: 03/29/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A flicker of light in a dying genre

European thrashers Essence inspired some hope in the genre with their 2011 debut Lost in Violence. A good modern thrash band is hard to come by; sure there’s the occasional fluke like Vektor, but all in all it’s a dying genre. Essence strived to prove otherwise though, and with Last Night of Solace they continue to do so, to a lesser extent. It’s solid thrash metal with a modern twist, nothing more; but the fact that it comes across so fresh and effortless for them makes it a comfortable, albeit harmless, listen.

Considering most of the best thrash metal albums of all time have been around 45 minutes or under, the 53 minute runtime of Last Night of Solace does it little favors. Five of the ten tracks are at or above 6 minutes, and while some of thrash’s classics were of decent length (‘Fade to Black’, ‘Holy Wars’), nothing on Last Night of Solace deserves its runtime and nearly every track overstays its welcome by two minutes, and that’s being generous. What Essence fails to realize is the concept of dynamics. For them it’s 100% volume, all the time, and even to the most dedicated metal fan it can get exhausting especially when a band plays with as little variety as Essence. The vocals are reminiscent of a whiny Chuck Schuldiner and are completely and utterly stagnant. They’re not bad, but his voice can get pretty grating, and using the exact same scream for almost an hour's worth of music is never okay unless you’re Demolition Hammer. The riffs are standard headbanger's thrash with the occasional hint of black metal here and there; the infectious chorus of the quasi-title track ‘Last Night’ is heavily carried by its melodic progression and underlying blast beats. The drumming is exactly what you’d expect, as is the bass (just barely audible), but the focus of thrash has always been the riffs and for the most part, Essence delivers. The problem is the overall lack of risk and variety. Essence sticks to what they’re good at, and if that means making 50+ minutes worth of harmless, fun thrash metal, then so be it.

Inanimate Existence A Never-Ending Cycle of AtonementWithin the Ruins Phenomena
Sonic Syndicate Sonic SyndicateOrigin Omnipresent
Muse Dead Star/In Your WorldJustin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2
2.9
good
Drew Tyler (2.5)
Another bread & butter thrash album that does little to distinguish it's self from the pack....

short review, meh

Digging: The Contortionist - Language

dec rev Pos'd

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

March 30th 2013

Pos'd, might check this out because thrash rulez but 53 minutes of only kinda average, not really particularly interesting is kinda ehh

March 30th 2013

it has its moments for sure. each song has at least one riff/chorus thats really sweet. if you can get past the song lengths youll probably enjoy it

Inveigh
March 31st 2013

good review but it reads like the rating should be lower

1958 Comments

A good modern thrash band is hard to come by

I disagree. There are quite a few good modern thrash bands.

Inveigh

Warbringer
SkeletonWitch

"Sylosis"

lol

ok anyway im not saying there arent any good modern thrash bands, im just saying theyre not as easy to come by as death/prog/core etc bands these days.

plus evile isnt even that good

March 31st 2013

Also Hexen, Eradicator, 4ARM, Eye of the Enemy, Gama Bomb, Fog of War, Mortillery aren't too bad, In Malice's Wake, even MW are pretty fun, Bonded by Blood are on the lower end but they're sitll alright, Deprivation and Desecrator are cool, Diamond Plate etc.

1958 Comments

Don't scoff at Sylosis lol. They're my favorite out of the bunch.

I like Evile quite a bit as well. Even if you said they're not "that good", you did imply Evile were
at least somewhat good. The only requirement was to name 10 "good", not amazing, modern thrash
bands.

I do agree with you that these types of bands are harder to come by though. I pretty much exhausted
all my options with the 10 I named. 10 is plenty for me though!

@Lloyd

I forgot about Hexen! I tried to list more common bands. 75% of the ones you listed I have
never heard before.

March 31st 2013

Yeah, probably because thrash is my favourite genre so I am always trying to check out as many bands as I can, new and old.
Btw I'm with Ins on Sylosis, they're pretty average.

1958 Comments

I don't want to turn this into a Sylosis discussion, but COME ON!

I hate opinions.

Hep Kat

this is bad ugh

AtomicWaste

1992 Comments

Review doesn't make this sound better than a 2.

19743 Comments

Agreed lol

Digging: Spectral Lore - III

thumbcrusher
March 31st 2013

quite enjoyed their other album, might give this a go

Pestiferous
March 31st 2013

rather surprised nobody has been all "ASDFGJHASDJHSEI THRASH WILL NEVER DEI ASDJHASJKDFHGASDFG"