The Dear Hunter
Migrant

by Quadrochosis USER (3 Reviews)
March 27th, 2013 | 96 replies | 9,387 views

Release Date: 04/02/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: To escape.. to escape

Brainchild of Casey Crescenzo, The Dear Hunter, has never been known as a musical project that creates the same thing twice. After three immensely well received Acts albums, and a gargantuan EP project released in 2011 entitled The Color Spectrum it seemed that there was nothing that Crescenzo and his musical brain couldn't do. Less than two years after the release of the Spectrum, The Dear Hunter is back with a new album that is centered around its frontman’s personal life.

This lush, yet dense offering opens with “Bring You Down” a track which flows outwards from a morphing string maelstrom and grabs the listener right from the beginning. The album’s lead single, “Whisper” immediately kicks in afterwards and by the time its chorus arrives it’s quite impossible to be anything but enamored by Crescenzo’s knack for churning out songs that are musically interesting, yet catchy beyond comprehension.

Two more songs that were debuted prior to the albums drop, “Shame” and “An Escape” continue to pelt the listener with bluesy and intense vibes that leave the audience begging for more. “Kiss of Life” becomes the album’s first ballad, which after about a minute of emotive crooning explodes into a warm, passionate chorus. As the song continues, it becomes more and more rhythmically complex, keeping the audience held up by the lapels.

One of the clear standout tracks on this record is certainly the moody, wonky “Girl”. Completely new territory for Crescenzo, it is clear that there will be no wavering as he continues on his seemingly unstoppable musical journey. The female vocals on this track (performed by none other than Casey’s sister Azia Crescenzo) give the song an interesting twist that hasn't yet been heard on a Dear Hunter track. The back-and-forth between the siblings is one of the album’s shining moments, and the final minute of this track will leave virtually anyone listening besides themselves.

“Cycles” seems to be the next step in the musical progression that has been created with the Blue EP, as it is awash with reverb guitars, and features a musical finale that hearkens back to “What You Said”. The album continues into another ballad, “Sweet Naiveté”. This track is predominately a piano/string piece who’s vocals feel like a slow, gentle waltz, in a vein not all unlike some of the less angsty tunes off Act III.

The band finishes the album strong with a 1-2-3 punch that is started with what is bound to become a live staple, “Let Go”. Launching into one of the most singable choruses the band has, this track not only has some of Crescenzo’s most dazzling vocal performances, but has perhaps one of the most memorable melodies the band has ever crafted.

If anyone was upset or worried that not diving right back into the Acts after The Color Spectrum might be a bad idea, they need not worry. Casey Crescenzo has once again proven that he is capable of quickly turning out a handful of beautifully crafted pieces which will without a doubt stand alongside with the best of whatever 2013 has to offer.

Standout tracks: “Whisper”, “Shame”, “Girl”, “Let Go”

Thompson D. Gerhart STAFF (4)
Breathe in and let go....

Bryan Edwin (4.5)
Casey Crescenzo creates his most introverted album to date, with stunning results....

19394 Comments

Digging: Musk Ox - Woodfall

RivalSkoomaDealer
March 27th 2013

Album sounds like Reign of Kindo, which isin't necessarily a bad thing.

Digging: Chris Letchford - Lightbox

AtomicWaste

1976 Comments

"Album sounds like Reign of Kindo, which isin't necessarily a bad thing."

No, not at all. This actually makes me want more Reign of Kindo.

Digging: Chris Letchford - Lightbox

cinaedus
March 27th 2013

agreed on that, definitely sounds like a mix of those EPs

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

Tyrael

20719 Comments

sweet

cinaedus

WHOOOOAAA OHHH OOHHHH HHHHHOOOOOOOOOOO

AgainstTheStream
March 27th 2013

I havent listened to this enough to give it an honest rating, but I can say I'm disappointed with the direction they took post act iii. They're becoming more and more... average, I guess. When they released the tracklist and not a single track was over 5 minutes I couldn't help bit sigh a bit. The record is good, yeah, but there's none of that awesome, emphatic progy post hardcore that made they're first two records so great. Hopefully act iv will bring some of that aggressive, raw emotion back in, but we'll just have to wait and see.

March 27th 2013

"based on all the praise i've heard for this band i expected them to be much better."

in all fairness this i think might be their worst album so you didn't pick a good starting point if this was your first exposure.

try act II

Digging: Mastodon - Once More 'Round the Sun

Omaha
March 27th 2013

This is definitely getting really sleepy about four tracks in.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

March 27th 2013

this is definitely a big step down for them. i've still only listened once though so that opinion could change.

Omaha
March 27th 2013

I don't see it as a step down as much as a deviation in style entirely, and it's into a style that's too homogenous for my liking.

PumpBoffBag
March 27th 2013

decent review, still not had a chance to listen to this yet.

March 27th 2013

i dunno, i'm still trying to remind myself that i had slightly unreasonable expectations of this.

AtomicWaste

1976 Comments

"An Escape" is really resonating with me right now. Album gets better every time I listen to it.

BLUEOmni
March 27th 2013

This is personally my 2nd favourite release by the band, excluding individual EP's from the colour spectrum. Don't really understand all the hate. Yeah, the band has chosen a more alternative route as opposed to their progy, experimental sound prior. But I don't think that's lessened the band's impact in any way.

RivalSkoomaDealer
March 27th 2013

"No, not at all. This actually makes me want more Reign of Kindo.

I think I mostly hear the blend of Blue, Violet, and White from the Color Spectrum, though."

I agree about those EPs. I think maybe the Reign of Kindo comparison came from listening to "Rhythm Chord and Melody" the other day.

ti0n
March 27th 2013

vote girl for the most catchiest song in the last decade.
repeat AND GO.

Digging: How to Dress Well - What Is This Heart?

BLUEOmni
March 27th 2013

The chorus for 'Girl' is really amazing.

Ziio
March 28th 2013

I think "Let Go" is the best thing on the album.

CaptainHadouken
March 28th 2013

1960 Comments

Listened to Colors spectrum a while back, This seems a little more stripped down. Its not bad though.