Zozobra
Savage Masters

by Ryan Kroner USER (29 Reviews)
March 27th, 2013 | 46 replies | 5,378 views

Release Date: 04/02/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The basest essence of sludge metal embodied in fifteen glorious minutes of filth and furor.

Zozobra never were the kind of sludge band to outstay their welcome. Indeed, 2008's Bird of Prey was a rarity within the genre: a furious, swampy beast of an album that was fast, filthy, and above all, concise. However, with Savage Masters this Cave In side project have apparently decided that it was not enough, resulting in the most obscenely pissed off fifteen minutes of hardcore-infused sludge that you will ever have had the pleasure of subjecting your eardrums to. Yes, this album clocks in at slightly under fifteen minutes. This would be a problem in the hands of most other musicians, but what Zozobra have crafted with their first album in five years is so utterly meticulous and unrelenting that it would be doing the band a disservice to put too much weight on the extreme brevity of Savage Masters. Among a sea of highlights, one that is most worthy of mention is the absolutely delicious performance put forward by bassist and vocalist Caleb Scofield. His vocals, lying somewhere between a shout and a growl, fit perfectly atop the suffocating instrumental barrage beneath, occupying that glorious halfway point between the unbridled furor of hardcore and the thick, murky character of sludge metal. Also, like the best that both of the aforementioned genres have to offer, this album gives Scofield's bass work as prominent of a role as Adam McGrath's unrelenting guitar playing, with his crunching lines providing some of the record's most memorable moments. What really sets Savage Masters over the top of the sludge pantheon, however, is yet another aspect carried over from Bird of Prey: the absolutely glorious production. Laden with feedback and some of the most deliciously vile guitar and bass tones to spring from such a release, well, since the last time Zozobra released an album, the entirety of this release is pure filth. This does not only apply in terms of production: the songwriting is filthy, the bass lines are filthy, the riffs are filthy, the drums are filthy, and the vocals are filthy: even the artwork, with its tan and black hues and its occult influence, screams of the unadulterated filth contained within Savage Masters. Yes, one could complain about the unnecessarily brief time that this album begins and ends in, and it could certainly be argued that there is a limit to the benefits of tightening sound and trimming it of its excesses, and that Zozobra are, at the very least, toeing this line. However, why should that matter when these fifteen minutes are so violent, meticulous, and unrelenting? Savage Masters is an album that defines - is - the very core and essence of sludge metal, and in the end, nothing else about it carries any weight.

Golgatha Somnium AttaccaStrike to Survive Yesterday's News
Rosetta The AnaesthetePalms Palms
Entropia (PL) VesperThe Body Master, We Perish

There we go.

God I love thee : ]

March 27th 2013

Are you aware that you've never reviewed anything below a 3.5?

How dare he? Why wouldn't review something you dont like, it's not like writers to to love/hate in equal parts lol Failing that, what's the relevance of this question? It's like asking you why you've only got 23 comments!

And, do you really expect me, or anyone for that matter, to read that huge glunk of a what you might call a paragraph?

Well yeah, it must take a lot of concentration to get through a single paragraph, I feel your pain ; ]

March 27th 2013

Can we have trolls with brains back?

Somebody's butthurt.

sigh

March 27th 2013

What happened to new users lurking for a while?

Relinquished

Scoot

wats a glunk

Digging: Unjust - Glow

March 27th 2013

Right, before you decide your more important than Zeppelin. Your first point is irrelevant, as for my reply it was not. It doesn't matter how or what the other scores in other reviews are, and it means even less when talking about this review.
Secondly, and I can't stress this enough. The writing style of a review is up to - you guessed it - the writer. Insults aside, most on this site at least know when to drop things back a notch and watch. How do Contributors get promoted? Well, by the higher powers. It doesn't happen unless they deserve it. Thank you, go waste someone else's time now?

March 27th 2013

Excellent review. Can't wait to jam this.

and one from a contributor who's IQ is less then my nanny with Alzheimer's

*whose

March 27th 2013

Oi potsy, didn't you have a big picture?

and one from a contributor who's IQ is less then my nanny with Alzheimer's

*whose

Lol

March 27th 2013

You guys rule. Now, let's get this thread back on track. This album is good. Have at it. Ignore the probable alach alt.

March 27th 2013

hey guys, lately doesn't have a review of an album rated under 4, let's discredit all his reviews and opinions because of that.

Kroner wrote a short, concise review that could fit into one large paragraph. His style of writing suits the brevity of the review, having it split into multiple paragraphs would be superfluous and (in my opinion) a detriment to his writing.

As I said, excellent review, Ryan.

March 27th 2013

I did? I don't remember doing that. Do you know what insinuated means?

You said he had a boyfriend.

Then you said he had two boyfriends.

That's insinuating that he is a homosexual because you implied he was dating men. Considering the reviewer is a man, that would insinuate he is gay.

March 27th 2013

awww, shucks. Much thanks to all of you.

March 27th 2013

iPod. I was trying to make a point and offer some valid feedback and everyone got defensive. You're the only cordial one here.

Hardly, refer to previous comments.

Back on topic; I'm kinda glad this is so short. Another half hour of this might be forced, strained.

March 27th 2013

I'm looking forward to this a lot more now actually, now that I know it's only 15 minutes. The other two Zozobra albums ruled, but I always felt they'd be a better band in smaller doses. A 15-minute shot of pissed of sludge sounds pretty fantastic right now, and Zozobra write some massive tunes.