Review Summary: Not as good as Skylarking but close!0 of 1 thought this review was well written
Thankfully there are more Oranges than Lemons. It was going to be hard to make the follow-up to Skylarking so XTC did not really even try to mimic that classic but rather than that they turned up their 60's styled pop ambitions and dressed them all up for the 80's and came up with a great album.
1. Garden Of Earthly Delights- Get things off to a rocking start. Immediately sets the tone as it rocks harder than anything on Skylarking did and yet it is still very melodic and even though no one would confuse it for a typical pop song especially in the late 80's.
2. Mayor of Simpleton- Wow. I guess this would have to be the most blatant attempt at pop XTC had ever done. It actually ws a huge Alternative hit and even grazed the lower rungs of the Hot 100 of all things. Simply a great pop song and ranks up there among the bands best.
3. King For A Day- Remember what I said about Mayor Of Simpleton..forget it. With its 'Everybody Wants To Rule the World" groove this seemed like it was destined for the Top 10 but this is XTC we are talking about so no way was it ever going to be a huge hit.
4. Here Comes President Kill Again- One of the lemons in my opinion. Not that it is terrible just kind of theme and lyrics reminds me of Reign of Blows but not the powerful music behind it.
5. The Loving-Another just decent pop oriented song. Not particularly memorable.
6. Poor Skeleton Steps Out- Funky and quirky little ditty about when we step out of our skin. Not so sure Danny ELfman didn't write this.
7. One Of the Millions- Good song by Colin. Kind of a seaside feel to it and very catchy to say the least. Isolation never sounded so good.
8. Scarecrow People- Now we are rolling again. Really love this track. Just the comparing mankind to scarecrows hits home and I dig it despite the 80's style overproduction. By the end you are singing along with Andy "For we ain't got no brains and we ain't got no soul"!
9. Merely A Man- Bam! Sergeant Pepper style horns blast into the albums most rocking tune that is an instant classic.
10. Cynical Days- Boy Colin is really in down mood. O.k. song but kind of depressing.
11. Across This Antheap- Another brutal commentary on mankind that goes down real easy with a rcoking tune and strong finish.
12. Hold Me My Daddy- Another winner. Gets me very emotional and is a very powerful song about the reelationship between father and son.
13. Pink Thing- The only thing I want to know is if Andy is talking about a baby or the thing that makes a baby? Both I think.
14. Miniature Sun- Man crashing down like a Minature sun! You can feel Andy's rage when he sings. Very powerful indeed.
15. Chalkhills & Children- Andy's Beach Boy fixation comes to the forefront. Nonetheless this is a classic song and perfect for a summer day.