Darkthrone
Goatlord

by Amber Asyylum USER (12 Reviews)
March 25th, 2013 | 28 replies

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: .

My life is a tragedy; and it all began two years ago. The forest was cold, dark and creepy and the being that approached me there was as inhuman as it gets. I faintly remember the skeletal lines on its face; the same face smeared in a white and black substance until it appeared as though it were death itself. It still comes back to me every night and every night I awaken in fits of screaming; my hands instinctively dropping to the place on my knees where I had to pry myself free of that hallowed ground, shredding my flesh but still able to walk. And on the same night two years later, we are destined to encounter each other once again. I feel myself whisper a single word, despite not knowing from where it came.

"Goatlord"

At once I collapse to the floor in spasms, my every cell mutating and warping, the vision in my eyes blurring and fogging up. Five minutes later I arise...

All is not as I remember it. The landscape that was once my bedroom has been replaced by the same mysterious one that I had arrived at many years ago with no knowledge of how I got there. Where socks had been strewn along the floor carelessly there were many great, hulking trees. Except something was wrong. It was as though I were no longer seeing things through my own eyes. The snow that I recalled so vividly in my head as being so white now was a mysterious shade of red, strangely akin to the color of blood. And then I felt it within my head. And I realized this was not my nightmare but that the creature was inside me, and now I understood the horror it felt.

The beat I had heard two years ago was in fact the beat of my own heart, but where there had been an incessant thundering of the beat there was now a much slower, calmer movement. The sound I hear is still as blurred as ever before, arguably more so, and I must strive to make out the noises in both my head and the air around me. What had sounded like a guitar before was there once again although not as high in pitch nor as fast and furious as before. Instead this was a sound much lower in tone that constantly changed in pace from rapidly drilling itself into my brain to a much slower and more groovy sound, carrying a strong sense of foreboding with it. I knew not what it was nor where It came from, only that it found its way to my heart and struck me with terror, and I knew that something had changed.

And then the creature appeared before me, and I nearly screamed.

Whereas previously this had been a creature of mystery that carried a sense of evil to it, it was now rather less frightening. I could see human flesh welded to its exposed rib cage and as my eyes moved up I saw something rather more familiar to me-the head of a goat. This would almost seem surreal given that this was the creature's head, not some ornament dangling from its neck by a chain, but I knew this was all too real. There was no longer anything about this animal that could force the same feelings of dread into me any more, but instead this was a creature I felt my heart fluttering with excitement and wonder to meet. I knew not what it was, only that I wished to remain with it. Something I would never have thought possible until it happened. It spoke in a voice not so harsh.

"We are Legion. For We Are Many. Join Us.

I don't know why, but this demonic-looking creature had a way of speaking to me that made it seem the right thing to do, as I kill myself in woe.

Emperor In the Nightside EclipseMonstrosity Millenium
Stone Sour House of Gold and Bones - Part 2Cannibal Corpse Evisceration Plague
In Flames The Jester RaceDark Angel Darkness Descends
2.9
good
OvDeath (5)
Goatlord is a twisting, monstrous, writhing mass of ugly and expansive metal....

keysofanxiety (1.5)
Not only a bad Darkthrone album, but an insult to Black Metal music....

March 25th 2013

pissbore told me to listn to this an its gud heard it 2 days ago first time and kept listening and reviewed

second of 3 darkthrone reviews im doing

blaze is the last one i will do

ViperAces

inb4 pissbore

hows the review

BigPleb

piss hasn't bumped yet

good review man, pos'd

evilford
March 25th 2013

liked your TH rev better but it's nice to have a rev over 1.5, I'll request flag

Digging: Wolf Spider - Drifting in the Sullen Sea

lol sweet

Digging: Morbid Angel - Juvenilia

BigPleb

Ah, here he is

March 25th 2013

you should review a new dimension instead of blaze

SO SHUT SHUT THE LIDS AND DREAM

lol

Digging: Sandrose - Sandrose

more like 5.2

xist
March 25th 2013

Not a fan of "reviews" in this style. There's a time and place for creative writing and personally i don't think it's when you're telling other people the relative merits of an album about which they may not know anything. Yes it conveys general aspects but as a reader i'd probably have to check another review before i could decide upon a purchase.

FrozenVain
March 25th 2013

I hardly like these kinds of reviews at all actaully. I rather read a book or something, but I won't do that either. I liked your first three reviews a lot better so keep on reviewing =]

March 25th 2013

ok thx for the feedback my last darkthrone one will b in this style then ill go back to proper reviewing

DeathGrinder
March 25th 2013

This is bottom of the barrel Darkthrone.

March 25th 2013

if you're looking at the barrel upside down yea

demigod!

This is Goatlord

Digging: My Alias - Light

VanSchuldiner

Pos'd sup pissbore bro

demigod!

dude

March 26th 2013

this isnt as good as their bm trilogy but better than most later stuff