Yelawolf
Trunk Muzic Returns

by knottsknocks USER (12 Reviews)
March 24th, 2013 | 27 replies | 6,679 views

Release Date: 03/14/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: With verbalistic rapping, fitting production and an ongoing theme of redemption, this is Yelawolf's triumphant return.

Yelawolf has established himself as a talented player in the hip-hop field. He's got everything. A unique flow, dynamic lyrics, and a clever sheen of rebelliousness to every track he releases. Most of this "trunk muzic" is deserving of acclaim. However, some of his production choices have almost led to his downfall. Most of the beats on Radioactive were seemingly designed to help Yelawolf make it up the charts. Meticulously designed hooks and instrumentals divert attention from what makes him such an interesting rapper: Erratic behavior. Throughout the course of Trunk Muzik Returns, Yelawolf embraces the failure of his previous effort, and abandons his radio friendly persona for the far more superior Catfish Billy. He's back. Recharged and reloaded. Best of all, Yelawolf's found a new enthusiasm. Radioactive damaged his legacy, but he's repairing it with nothing but a flaming hot lyrical blowtorch. I'm not calling this mix-tape a classic, but it deserves some accolades. It's well constructed and produced. Best of all, Yelawolf apologizes for his attempts to go mainstream in the track "Rhyme Room." Here's an excerpt;

"I promise you can put Trunk Muzik in a picture frame, you ain't gotta tell me/I made a mistake and some of that *** was lame/but all I wanna do is say *** that *** and please accept my change/I was only trying to people please, so people please know my name/now back to the metaphors, it's better for me to settle scores.” Yelawolf's honesty is refreshing, to say the least. The emotional and thematic content is almost irrelevant, however, as even a casual Yelawolf fan knows that most, if not all of his tracks are about drinking, fighting, smoking and trailer parks. This is a less complicated way of saying that most of Yelawolf's tracks embody the spirit of his home state: Alabama. Trunk Muzik Returns still succeeds in giving us a clear image of his mind and soul. The confessional-ism of Rhyme Room and the anthemic honesty of F.A.S.T. Ride are some of the best tracks you're going to hear from Yelawolf in general. At least, until his next LP is released.

Trunk Muzik Returns, while a quality release, has issues. Occasionally, Yelawolf suffers from attempting to adopt a strident tone that doesn't fit him well. This is apparent on "Box Chevy" and "Firestarter." Ironically, these are tracks that could have benefited from the Radioactive treatment, as subversion can sometimes be overplayed. However, as a whole, TMR is a great mix-tape that deserves the attention of any Yelawolf fan.

Daft Punk Random Access MemoriesTyga Hotel California
KiD CuDi Indicud2 Chainz Based on a T.R.U. Story
Tyler the Creator WolfLil Wayne I Am Not a Human Being II

Hep Kat
March 24th 2013

i remember when the fake track list of his album leaked online, and the features were marvelous. then the real track list dropped and i was like "uh...k." then the album dropped and was fuckin horrendous

but i'll check this out nonetheless

Aids
March 24th 2013

I'm still gonna be skeptical until I hear this, but those guest verses look a hell of a lot more
promising than the ones on his LP (which was fucking terrible).

Apollo
March 24th 2013

I'm not sure why, but I really like this guy's flow and style of rapping.

Cygnatti
March 24th 2013

I can't imagine this being good at all.

Digging: Jon Hopkins - Immunity

fromtheinside

is this kid rock?

Digging: Tragedy - Vengeance

this is good

Inveigh
March 25th 2013

is it really? one of my buddies from college joined a band called Pass A Fire back in 2008 and he was on Warped Tour a couple years ago with this guy. Hung out with him basically every day apparently, supposedly he's a real cool dude. Haven't delved much into his music though...

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

March 25th 2013

yeah check this out and trunk muzik

Aids
March 25th 2013

see he's pretty great when he's not making bloated, overproduced LPs

he should just stick to mixtapes or whatever. I mean the distinction seems kind of meaningless but maybe not for this guy.

seriously, fuck was Radioactive awful

March 25th 2013

yeah record labels are stupid in general, i wish we could finally be rid of them

fromtheinside
March 25th 2013

radioactive is one of my favorites next to weird al and my frosty vanila ice collection

ButtsweatAndTears

Man his LP sucked...
Liked his mixtapes though so might check this out..

J0ckstrapsFTW
March 25th 2013

Goddam I can't stand this guy

March 27th 2013

original trunk muzik rules but haven't liked anything since and especially disliked radioactive

will def check this tho

MMX
March 29th 2013

Catfish Billaay

this is pretty sweet

April 7th 2013

i might, it's pretty consistent

jacobdaquioag
April 7th 2013

Flow, hooks, and beats are great. His goddamn voice won't let me fully enjoy it sadly.

Wolfhorde
April 7th 2013

Definitely a nice comeback from the pit of awfulness that was Radioactive.

BrieLarson