Darkthrone
Transilvanian Hunger

by Amber Asyylum USER (12 Reviews)
March 23rd, 2013 | 44 replies | 1,052 views

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Review Summary: .

I'm alone; in a dark forest with nothing but my own torment pulsing in my head. I keep having visions of a pale wraith who shrieks at me in a demonic voice that is both rough and aggressive. Its words are scarcely audible through an incessant undercurrent in the back ground when he speaks; one of chaos and rage condensed into evil in the form of sounds. This was but the beginning of my journey, nay, of my nightmare.

The year was 1994 when the voice came to me for the final time; this time accompanied by the most peculiar, queer sounds imaginable. Was that a drum beat I heard or am I mis-remembering? I am not sure but what is absolutely certain in both my mind and my memories is that what I was hearing was hypnotizing. I had previously been sure that this creature, tall and coated with black and white substances across his face; was not only torturing me but was trying to escape its own demons and now I was sure of this. Why else would it pursue me throughout such a cold and frostbitten landscape with nothing but its own evil chorus of never-ending drums to accompany it?

Even now I will never forget the precision of the beat that accompanied him; for it moved far faster than any mortal ever could. I know not whether it was one with the atmosphere around me nor whether it radiated from this creature but I feel certain that had I not listened to it I would not be here to relay these thoughts. I approached the morbid-looking individual before me and he spoke out to me without even moving his mouth. Echoing inside my head he poured his troubles and torments until all I could do was collapse to the ground and feel my knees become one with the Earth; freezing in place by the ice.

"Soon you shall rise again; bold one; and you shall do my bidding. You shall carry my word; but you shall never again meet a man face to face. What you hear around you is the isolation I have suffered for the past three decades; the torture of nothing but aggressive sounds building up around me. And then I embraced them. You shall do so too."

And then my nightmare truly began.

He began to cackle and scream out words unrecognizable in a foreign tongue that was as alien to me as the surroundings I had found myself in but a few months before. The beat in the background amplified and another sound ripped through my ears; echoing inside my skull as it has continued to do so ever since. It was the sound of a guitar; an eerie high pitched sound that reminded me of a mass of power chords picked at insane speeds that I had once heard in my school years. The two instruments clashed like two Titans at battle as the creature before me began to shriek at regular intervals; casting forth words from his mouth that I knew not what they mean. And then he burst into English once again; and I vividly remember two words. These two words are all I dare think back to and they strike me with the same terror and fear of my own mortality that I had felt when I first heard them.

"Transilvanian Hunger"