Daylight Dies
A Frail Becoming

by Vak USER (12 Reviews)
March 21st, 2013 | 14 replies | 2,546 views

Review Summary: Fours years since their last LP see's Daylight Dies maturing and carving their own niche' into the Metal community.

If the music is anything to go by, Daylight Dies aren't a very happy group of indivduals. 'Dismanlting Devotion' is one of the most meloncholy and despressing albums in recent memory and 'Lost to the Living' wasn't any cheerier either, being another example at why Daylight Dies are one of the primary melodic death/doom acts around today. If you've heard Daylight Dies before then you know what you're in for, if not well you're in for quite a surprise.

Not alot has changed in the 4 years since their last LP, they're still as angry and sad as they were on their previous 2 albums. Daylight Dies still are still utilising the same formula, with the catchy, sorrowful melodic guitar leads and crushing riffage. Some surprises are in store though. The first track on the album 'Infidel' blasts onto the scene at a speed and furouisty of which Daylight Dies has never seen before, granted its not a fast song by any means, but for Daylight Dies, a band known for their slow, doomy approach its quite refreshing. The deep, guttural growls are also sounding alot fiercer since their last LP, full of anger and emotion. In fact, the band as a whole are sounding alot more agressive this time around, pounding double bass and crushing, headbanging riffs are literally shoved in your face, and its brilliant.

That's not to say the entire album is like this, oh no. There are still the hauntingly beautiful acostic passages and the cleanly sung vocals, both adding to the meloncholy nature of the album. The lyrics are also in fine form this time around, focussing on the typical Doom themes of depression, sorrow and hope. Take a look at the lyrics from 'Dreaming Of Breathing, for example:

'A final knife
In the back
The wound
Straight through the heart

Our eyes so blind we can't see
Our minds die as our souls weep
The life choked out by the hand that feeds
The air so thin we can't breathe
Our souls decay as our minds sleep
Our backs broken by the hands that feed'

Its not all good though, in fact Daylight Dies fall victim to the one thing we love them for, consistency. The songs lack a certain variety, never doing anything different from what you're expecting of them. Sure they throw in an acoustic part here, clean vocals here and an occasional breakdown there, its just we've heard it all before. Unlike bands like say, Amon Amarth, who release the same album everytime and manage to sound fresh and exciting, Daylight Dies are struggling here. Comparing the two might be a little unfair as they both play a completly different style of Metal to one another, but the princple still stands.

With Daylight Dies 4th LP we see them maturing into their own niche' in the Metal community and building on the foundations that made their previous LP's great. By no means is this in the same league as 'Dismantling Devotion' which still to this day can leave you in awe, but for what it is and does, Daylight Dies triumphantly return to the Metal scene with their own unique offering of melodic death/doom metal.

Trivium Vengeance FallsWold Screech Owl
Moonsorrow V: HavitettyAmon Amarth Versus the World
Opeth My Arms, Your HearseSoundtrack Mass Effect 3 Soundtrack

Vakarian12
March 21st 2013

I'm very tired and don't think I made a whole lot of sense on this one haha.

All constuctive feedback is welcome

Digging: Sepultura - Arise

NOTINTHEFACE
March 21st 2013

I listened to this once or twice through and found it disappointingly boring. I'll have to give it another try one of these days. And good review.

Vakarian12

Thanks man.

Yeah definitely give it another go, if you like their older stuff there's no reason you shouldn't like this.

Nice avatar by the way, Elfen Lied is one my favourite anime's.

NOTINTHEFACE
March 21st 2013

I found LttL kind of hard to get into for a while as well, but I love it now. So I'll be trying this again too.

And thanks. Nice username by the way. Garrus is one of my favorite Turian bro's. lol

November 22nd 2013

I bet KILL 1'd this

November 22nd 2013

no but i can if u want xx

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

so fucking awesome

Digging: Integral - Sercosa

not rly

Fuk u K!ll

BETTER THAN RUSH

m/m/m/m/m/m/

spoken like a true 15 year old m/

i was there dw dude i had a trivium sweatband

most of the userbase i like 12 so i need to communicate properly, yknow

April 19th 2014

those subtle notes of the verses of pale approach, the atmosphere in this album is spot on

this is their second best album, imo