Crown the Empire
The Fallout

good

by multicore USER (6 Reviews)
March 20th, 2013 | 15 replies

Review Summary: A noble effort at a debut record; far from disappointing, but miles away from perfect

Most bands would tell you the hardships of trying to get noticed by record labels. It normally takes years of touring the toilet circuit, playing to crowds of 50 and selling backstreet merchandise just to try and advertise themselves. Crown The Empire however, took a pretty lucky shortcut on the road to being signed. Rise Records approached them on the simple basis of 2 self-released EPs and a self-shot music video floating around YouTube, and after being signed started work immediately on their debut record.

Unlike most three-worded bands on Rise's roster, we can start by commending Crown The Empire on the creativity they've injected into The Fallout. Even under metalcores tarnished cloak, CTE hold a distinctive, dramatic sound that stops them just being 'another one of those bands'. Sure, a concept 'end-of-the-world' album doesn't sound like debut material for a band as young as this, but for the most part, it's a pretty solid structure. However, this is an album with two halves. The first half of the album is a collection of catchy, well-written songs that almost escape the cliches of modern day metalcore (although fans of breakdowns won't be disappointed). The latter half harbors filler, and this really drags the album down.

The cleans on this record sound natural, powerful and genuinely make certain songs stick in your head for hours on end. The harsh vocals aren't as unique, but they are by no means terrible/laughable. Title track, The Fallout, is a well written song that showcases both these vocal styles. The band do a good job at keeping the balance right between clean and harsh vocals, stopping the songs becoming too stale too quickly. Memories of a Broken Heart, The One You Feed and Graveyard Soul are songs that help continue to define this album.

Lead single Makeshift Chemistry is by no means a bad song; in fact, it's one of the best on the album in general terms. It doesn't feel like it belongs on The Fallout however, as it's just a 'song about a girl'. Maybe I'm taking the concept idea a bit too far with this, but it feels like a song that was written before the rest of the album was. The same can be said for Twos Too Much. The album would be a far better experience if a little more consistency was in place. The latter half of the album tries to replace songwriting with heaviness, which is all well and good but this starts to let the unique sound of the album slip.

While The Fallout definitely doesn't astound, it certainly impresses- especially as a debut. While this record starts to unravel at the seams towards the end, the songs are well written and the band have tried hard to keep themselves away from the tarred brush.

Farewell Run It Up the FlagpoleThe Color Morale Know Hope
Kids in Glass Houses In Gold BloodAsking Alexandria Under the Influence
Farewell Isn't This Supposed To Be Fun?
Dalton DuBois (2)
A lazy and shoehorned re-recording session rushed for the sole purpose of making extra money for the...

GearsofWhore3 (3.5)
Fantastic Debut. Fantastic band....

Dakoda Jones (3.5)
A good debut album for a band with lots of potential....

multicore
March 20th 2013

had to battle some pretty bad writers block for this. :c

merpmerp
March 20th 2013

You didn't really describe the sound of this album at all...

J0ckstrapsFTW
March 20th 2013

Eh i listened to this once I just remember the cleans being catchy

DanielNightLewis
March 20th 2013

The band logo and album art tell you exactly how this one will sound, the review would just labor the point.

Digging: Kaddish - Thick Letters To Friends

J0ckstrapsFTW
March 20th 2013

Ya the album art screams rise

qwenty
March 20th 2013

It's a great album but sadly there are a few fillers with some generic and clich├ęd stuff. Then again
some songs are pretty amazing and success in avoiding all that. The clean vocalist has quite an unique
sound tho on some songs he is a bit irritating. But don't get me wrong, it's definitely worth checking
out. And while you're at it, check out their cover of "Maroon 5 - Payphone" too (on youtube). Great
stuff.

Good review. I would also recommend the track Children of Love from the album. Strikes me as one of
their best.

AtomicShane

1948 Comments

cleans are neet. everything else is pretty mehh

multicore
March 20th 2013

Yeah, Children of Love's one of their heavier ones, don't know why I didn't mention that. As I said, had a bad time writing this. Probably should have completely rewritten it. Meh.

Fuck it, I'm a maverick.

March 20th 2013

Your summary describes my feelings about this album perfectly.

pepster50
March 20th 2013

The vocals on both fronts are the highlight of this album. I especially like the harsh vocals. I enjoy his tone during his barks on "Makeshit Chemistry". The problem is there is so many BORING breakdowns.

I guess we have different tastes because "Two's Too Many" is without a doubt the best song on this album. "Johnny's Revenge" is also a pretty cool song, even if it makes you feel like your on a farm lol. These songs don't use the repeated boring breakdowns and attempt to try to change things up.

Will listen to their next release and hope they can use some of the potential that they have.

March 21st 2013

Adestria are the strongest in this genre.

Toadstool
March 21st 2013

These guys mob live.

bbdmittenz
July 24th 2013

Not that this is bad... but I think the new version of Memphis May Fire (post-Sleepwalking) owns this genre, and pretty much Rise in general.

July 25th 2013

Look up Adestria dude.

Krossceeper
February 19th 2014

This is a really good review, explained what makes this band so likeable and deserving of a 3.