Opeth
Blackwater Park

good

by bigdickedguy USER (14 Reviews)
March 20th, 2013 | 124 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Boring, this album has far too much drag and unnecessary filler.

Introducing the most hyped up album in Opeth's discography and ironically the only one that fails to live up the mass hype surrounding it-Blackwater Park. This is an album with a mammoth running time and not a whole lot to show for it; an album that focuses on drilling the same riff into the listener's skull a thousand times and then continuing to do so for the next two minutes. Whilst riff changes, speed changes and all other changes are present here they are far less noticeable than on previous or future releases from the band. This is Blackwater Park-one of the most overrated releases I have ever heard.

The album is a mixture of acoustic sections and heavy metal sections combined and given the tag of progressive death metal. In place of the pseudo-black metal shrieks found on the band's earliest stretch of albums, Mikael Akerfeldt sticks to a low growl and some fairly monotonous clean singing. This is by no means a bad thing as he does both styles very well and his growls have a lot of power behind them but when the album in question runs for seven minutes past the hour mark, you would think he would switch it up a bit. From The Leper Affinity right through to the end of the album this is mainly a mixture of deep growls and low clean singing with a few higher screams every now and again, althugh they are seldom used. The title track is the biggest sinner for the vocals as this is the only song on the album that uses exclusively death metal vocals despite having one of the best higher screams on the release.

The instrumental work is another problem that can be found with Blackwater Park. To begin with, for saying this garnered the tag of death metal; there is not a whole lot to show for it. The guitar work is rarely too intense nor intricate and would not feel out of place on the average doom metal release or sludgy album, and the drumming occasionally abuses the double bass but this is rare. The softer sections are the real problems I have with this release. The Drapery Falls in particular has little change in its clean sections and relies on the use of three or four acoustic chords until the heavy section kicks in, which is around two-three minutes into the song. The biggest snooze fest on the album aside from this would either be Dirge For November or Harvest. Harvest is more mood-oriented and fails to create much of an atmosphere at all whilst Dirge For November takes forever to build up and then drags on for far too long afterwards.

The positives about this album are found in occasional moments on the individual songs. Whilst none of them are particularly bad aside from the three mentioned before, many of them lack any real flow and just feel like a collection of wildly conflicting styles contrasting every couple of minutes that clash together and kill off any momentum the album has whatsoever. Bleak is the one song that gets everything right, from the heavy as *** introduction through the bluesy central section to the even heavier closure this has some great riffs, a more than characteristically varying vocal performance and the middle section transitions back to the heavy stuff perfectly. The opener The Leper Affinity makes great use of the soft to heavy dynamic well as well despite dragging on far too long.

BWP is just a release that feels too long as though the band could not be arsed coming up with any different ideas save for every two or three minutes when it will change into an acoustic section.

brokeNCYDE I'm Not a Fan, but the Kids Like It!Emperor Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Carcass HeartworkBring Me the Horizon Suicide Season
Paramore Brand New EyesFlyleaf Flyleaf

McOshea
March 20th 2013

I definitely will come at you, bitch! neg. This is easily their best

MO

19078 Comments

^ lol no

March 20th 2013

and given the tag of progressive death metal

erroneously

because it isn't death metal, whoever tagged it as such is an idiot

Digging: Sofia Gubaidulina - Chamber Music With Double Bass

March 20th 2013

Opeth are just extreme progressive metal, not prog death.

March 20th 2013

this review is quite retarded if i do say so.

Gwyn.

Emyay

butthurt anti-fan

SlMBOLlC

March 20th 2013

The only thing I agree with is that Dirge for November can get boring at times, its def the weakest on the album.

Vakarian12
March 20th 2013

'Dirge for November can get boring at times, its def the weakest on the album.'

March 20th 2013

not entirely true sim. read the review and you'll see the negs are justified.

Emyay
March 20th 2013

"...an album that focuses on drilling the same riff into the listener's skull a thousand times and then continuing to do so for the next two minutes. Whilst riff changes, speed changes and all other changes are present here.."

so do the riffs change or is it the same riff a thousand times?

Jacquibim

Pos'd for bravery

Digging: Blaspherian - Upon The Throne of Eternal Blasphemous Death

Gwyn.
March 20th 2013

"dont even bother writing a review against the grain. no one pays attentiop to the content its the rating that matters"

I negged because I think the review is fucking stupid.

March 20th 2013

i agree the negs are actually justified here the review has no real cohesion to it

March 20th 2013

the more I read this the more I shake my head

btw I think dirge is the weakest track too

March 20th 2013

"dirge for november is alright the heavy parts are great and mikes vocals on the acoustics i enjoyed but the actual instrumental during the clean section bored me"

I really like the intro and that bluesy acoustic riff just before the heavy section, I just find the heavy part a bit monotonous