Lydia
Devil

by Alex Trinkner CONTRIBUTOR (71 Reviews)
March 20th, 2013 | 93 replies | 9,517 views

Release Date: 03/19/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Happy are we...

Lydia are a band that have seen their fair share of turmoil. 2010 found the band in shambles after founding members Steve McGraw and Leighton Antelman had a falling out of sorts, leading to their farewell tour and subsequent demise. But after a single year Lydia felt the need to mount a comeback, a comeback that turned out to be a blessing, with their 2011 release seeing the band return to the glory of 2008’s Illuminate. With a sudden return to prominence and ensuing announcements of a 2013 release, the pressure was on Lydia to release another stellar album. Devil is just that… A stellar album. While it doesn’t do much to advance the sound present on Paint It Golden, this release employs enough subtle differences to be its own entity, without sacrificing what has made Lydia successful in the past.

The biggest shift from their past releases would be the tempo; songs often find themselves playing faster than a Lydia song has before, which is not all that fast in the first place. That, coupled with the fact that this record seems to be more guitar driven than recent offerings, makes for one of the more interesting albums from these young men out of Gilbert, Arizona. Infectious hooks are still repeated as many times as possible, but there seems to be a certain level of depth behind them, not often heard within the genre. Lead singer/guitarist Leighton Antelman seems to be rejuvenated in every sense of the word; the introspective lyrics absent during the course of the Assailants are present, along with more interesting guitar lines. The guitar fits perfectly with the abundance of keys and piano found on this release, as well as with the rest of the vast instrumentation on this release.

Songs such as Back to Bed or Runaway showcase an obvious progression in regards to songwriting, the former starting off acoustic, and slowly burns for three minutes before settling back down for a subdued outro comprised solely of acoustic guitar and whistles. Throughout the entire ten tracks there is rarely an opportunity for listeners to forfeit their focus, as every track includes something to grab their attention. Be it a banjo on Runaway or an organ on the beautiful album closer From A Tire Swing, tracks often forgo typical instrumentation while embracing typical song structures. Although female vocals have disappeared with the departure of Mindy White in 2009, an added vocal layer is added through the uses of choirs and layered, reverb-drenched vocals, adding to the overall atmosphere of songs, nowhere as evident as Now I Know.

Devil, for all of its melancholic or heartbreaking lyrics, is an album from a band that seems to be enjoying what they are doing for a living again. The best album Lydia have released since 2008, Devil finds the band hitting their sweet-spot and crafting songs that are equal parts catchy and reflective.

Trophy Scars Holy VacantsSeahaven Reverie Lagoon: Music For Escapism Only
Sleep Weather Two Wheels SpinningWe Are Scientists TV en Français
William Fitzsimmons LionsPrawn / Joie de Vivre Split
willi (3)
Lydia created an impressive collection of fun,energetic pop songs, but also a very flawed album sadl...

March 19th 2013

Woo hoo for new releases. This was a solid release. They're actually heading off on tour with from indian lakes fairly soon.

So help me out with mistakes, or problems you seem to have with this review lol

March 19th 2013

Well i'm glad the person who added this to the database messed up the album art.. lol

But this came out today. So go check it out!

March 19th 2013

This album is beyond fantastic, also great review. Album art is still meh in my book though.

March 19th 2013

Thanks man. I'm not digging the album art either. But i just wish that it would actually show up

NocteDominum
March 19th 2013

Consistency, your last Devil is "Devil". You threw the italics on every other one,

Thanks for catching that

skoopy48
March 20th 2013

Good review, good album, bad cover

March 20th 2013

lol well maybe it's a good thing the album art isn't showing up then. For some reason it reminds me of the cover of mr. chuckles.

NocteDominum
March 20th 2013

The best album Lydia have released since 2008, *Devil* finds the band hitting their sweet-spot and crafting songs that are equal parts catchy and reflective.

This one

Eclecticist
March 20th 2013

I can't believe that you gave this a 4/5 Alex. The only solid track on this album imo is Holiday which is 5/5 solid but the rest is generic prototypical indie pop.

ti0n
March 20th 2013

jesus fucking christ back to bed is so annoying

Digging: How to Dress Well - What Is This Heart?

XingKing
March 20th 2013

I am looking forward to this album. If it's comparable to Illuminate, then it's nothing short of amazing. Glad a good band is outta my state for once

witchxrapist
March 20th 2013

getting this now, so stoked

Digging: Stray From the Path - Our Oceania

sniper

lydia is cool

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

March 20th 2013

The closer on this album is so damn amazing, I can't stand it.

March 20th 2013

Also, at the end of the first paragraph you said "on", which should be "own".

19381 Comments

hey the album artwork was fixed! ..and it sucks lol

Digging: Musk Ox - Woodfall

March 20th 2013

I dunno what I think of the artwork, it's weird as all hell but I don't know about it yet...

botreezy
March 20th 2013

Good Review. Hey Xing! Phenomenal album, not quite Illuminate, but still extraordinarily better than Paint it Golden.

March 20th 2013

There wasn't much wrong with Paint it Golden, they were just growing into their new sound. I dug it, but yeah this is better.